Truth, how important is it in your life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 03:20 PM
RE: Truth, how important is it in your life?
I always lie. I'm lying right now. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
13-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Lying is unavoidable. Even with honest people there are unintentional, or uncontrollable lies that we tell constantly. Smiling even if your not feeling happy. Telling a story the best you can remember.

We can even lie to ourselves. Like myself for example. I think I'm hilariously funny, my wife (on most occasions) would disagree. I also think I'm really smart and insightful. But i can find many who also would not agree with me.

I imagine It must have worked in the favor of our ancestors. Maybe saying they didn't get a portion of food even if they did already. Or telling about how exciting a hunt was even if they spent most of it sitting around waiting.

I lie only when I feel necessary. I try to be straight forward, but in recent years I find blunt to the point honesty. Is the makings of a happy marriage. Telling my wife I don't like that color on you or saying I don't think those earing go with that dress only adds to the time lost for getting to a destination.

If you haven't seen it check out the movie "The Invention of Lying" Staring Ricky Gervais.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
13-01-2016, 03:26 PM
(13-01-2016 03:20 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I always lie. I'm lying right now. Drinking Beverage

I've been waiting for that. Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
13-01-2016, 03:29 PM
(13-01-2016 03:18 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 03:11 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's not lying I would say. Infidelity I deem to be closely tied with omnision - as you don't inform you partner about it - and in specific cases with oathbreaking.

I think I do see it as lying.

If you are pretending that everything is fine and going along according to what you both agreed to except that you are not really doing what you agreed, then acting like you are is a lie. It's actually a lie everyday. IMO

I see things with which I can agree in your post but I still don't think that cheating is a lie. Relationship may imply the complete comitement but to seek sex outside of it isn't a lie in my view, though it is dishonest.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
13-01-2016, 03:33 PM
(13-01-2016 03:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  We're taught from a very early age "don't lie, tell the truth" but how much of that really is a day to day reality for you? How much do you lie?

I try not to lie simply because I was so angry for being lied to by the church and my parents. That said, I do the white lie thing sometimes--for example, if a friend asks me if I like her new hairstyle *after* she goes on and on about how much she likes it. She loves it and is feeling good about herself, why should I piss all over that simply because it's not my style? So ya, I would probably just tell her it looks nice.

I would have lied to protect Jews in Nazi Germany and would lie to protect anybody that was under persecution.

What do you feel is a cut off between a "little white lie" and a blatant lie?

A white lie to me is done to protect someone's feelings. The cost of my saying to my friend "Your hair looks like shit" would do more harm to her self-esteem than my simply saying it looks nice. I wouldn't go on and on about loving it, but I would say that it looks nice, but really loved it more when she had it styled in such and such a way in the past.

A blatant lie, imo, the lie is done more for the benefit of the liar than for the other person--whereas the white lie is to preserve someone else's feelings.

What about omission, lie or no?

No, but could still be a form of dishonesty.

Do you feel others lie a lot or a lot more than you?

I like honest people, so I try to surround myself with people like that. It does take me awhile to fully trust somebody though and I usually have my guard up for a little while, especially in rships. But it's just in the beginning stages and it's only for a little while, while I get to know the person. To me, I view it as a safety precaution--both with my heart and my personal safety.

Do you lie for work? Do they ask you to?

I have never been asked to do this at any of the places I worked. The only work-related lie I've told is the fake sick day thing (you know, the ones where you go to the beach to "recuperate" Laugh out load )

When is it okay or even expected for someone to lie? Job interviews, dating sites, relationships? Children?

I would say never, for the most part. (See my white lie example).

Is cheating on your mate lying?

Yes.

Thx, interesting that so far the men have stated cheating is not lying and the women say yes it is. I wonder if that changes as more people post, if they do. Might be an interesting poll to see if the cheating/lying thing is gender related. I think it might also make a difference if you have or have not ever been cheated on. I have never been cheated on that I know of. But I still think it's lying.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
13-01-2016, 03:39 PM
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't at least a little important. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
13-01-2016, 03:44 PM
(13-01-2016 03:33 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 03:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  We're taught from a very early age "don't lie, tell the truth" but how much of that really is a day to day reality for you? How much do you lie?

I try not to lie simply because I was so angry for being lied to by the church and my parents. That said, I do the white lie thing sometimes--for example, if a friend asks me if I like her new hairstyle *after* she goes on and on about how much she likes it. She loves it and is feeling good about herself, why should I piss all over that simply because it's not my style? So ya, I would probably just tell her it looks nice.

I would have lied to protect Jews in Nazi Germany and would lie to protect anybody that was under persecution.

What do you feel is a cut off between a "little white lie" and a blatant lie?

A white lie to me is done to protect someone's feelings. The cost of my saying to my friend "Your hair looks like shit" would do more harm to her self-esteem than my simply saying it looks nice. I wouldn't go on and on about loving it, but I would say that it looks nice, but really loved it more when she had it styled in such and such a way in the past.

A blatant lie, imo, the lie is done more for the benefit of the liar than for the other person--whereas the white lie is to preserve someone else's feelings.

What about omission, lie or no?

No, but could still be a form of dishonesty.

Do you feel others lie a lot or a lot more than you?

I like honest people, so I try to surround myself with people like that. It does take me awhile to fully trust somebody though and I usually have my guard up for a little while, especially in rships. But it's just in the beginning stages and it's only for a little while, while I get to know the person. To me, I view it as a safety precaution--both with my heart and my personal safety.

Do you lie for work? Do they ask you to?

I have never been asked to do this at any of the places I worked. The only work-related lie I've told is the fake sick day thing (you know, the ones where you go to the beach to "recuperate" Laugh out load )

When is it okay or even expected for someone to lie? Job interviews, dating sites, relationships? Children?

I would say never, for the most part. (See my white lie example).

Is cheating on your mate lying?

Yes.

Thx, interesting that so far the men have stated cheating is not lying and the women say yes it is. I wonder if that changes as more people post, if they do. Might be an interesting poll to see if the cheating/lying thing is gender related. I think it might also make a difference if you have or have not ever been cheated on. I have never been cheated on that I know of. But I still think it's lying.

It's being very dishonest. In one way, I can see the point that it is not technically lying. It would be technically lying if one spouse asked the other spouse if they were fucking someone else and the one who was doing the extra fucking said no.

I consider it lying because I think whether married or in in LTR, there is a fair assumption that the other one is not fucking around and the two of you are exclusive. If the person is fucking around and not telling the other person, I am sure there is a high chance of lying about their whereabouts, lying about who they are spending time with, lying about who was texting them, lying about why they came home late...
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-01-2016, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2016 04:01 PM by julep.)
In my personal, admittedly relative ethics--nothing wrong with situational/relative/subjective ethics IMO--I try very hard to keep my promises and be truthful. Trust is an issue for me, and I work to be a trustworthy person, as that's one of my most desired qualities in other humans.

I don't often find myself in social situations where even white lies are called for, and I can almost always find something to say that's factually true even if not 100% emotionally true. I'd say that's a lie of sorts, and the kind of lie that I'm most comfortable with.

The other kind of lie I don't mind is that of omission. I have the right to keep my mouth shut about whether those jeans make someone look fat, or about what I think about Christianity, for example.

I agree that lies of various sorts can be socially advantageous and even good from an ethical standpoint, sometimes, but I feel uncomfortable lying and try to avoid it whenever possible.

ETA: Regarding cheating: not a lie, but it is breaking a promise and therefore productive of a loss of trust. So in the same ballpark as lying.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
13-01-2016, 05:38 PM
(13-01-2016 01:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think it is important to be a honest person but Kant view was extreme. I would say that it is acceptable to lie when one is forced to answer about topic that one feels should not concern person asking - it is still a lie but I could not care less as I don't think that honesty should be absolute. Also omnision isn't a lie I would call it a middle ground between truth and lie.

As for lying becoming norm I think it already happened. Lies are common I suppose, we just do not always (or often?) recognize them.

As to how "new" lying is are you talking about in the last 10 years or 4 centuries? I never watched much television growing up, and that ended before 1970 mostly because it seemed that the point of most shows was people lying to each other, whether kids to adults (and included a laugh track) or man to his wife or work relationships. I have also found that the more religious a person is the more they tend to lie, and are seemingly unaware of it as they think of themselves as honest!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
13-01-2016, 05:41 PM
How is cheating not lying? How could it not be? One has made a promise to not cheat, so maybe it is just breaking a promise, but I always felt the bitch was lying when she came home and said that she had been with her female friends when I knew better. One time I had a cheap watch that would work for a few days and then quit. In front of my Now ex-wife I took a hammer and smashed it and said "That is how I treat a watch that lies to me!"
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post