Truth, how important is it in your life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 05:45 PM
RE: Truth, how important is it in your life?
I say it's necessary to lie sometimes. But I usually prefer to tell the truth. I try to balance the cost of lying with do I owe this person any truth. At work I wear ear buds that look like ear plugs. We can wear ear plugs and turn the radio up and used to be able to wear ear buds. There were no safety incidents. They just banned them. So I lie to my bosses by omission. I know I'm in the wrong but don't feel a moral burden for lying. On the other hand if I make a mistake at work I don't lie to cover my ass.
As far as infidelity, if you have an agreement with someone where you both agree to be exclusive, then I can't see how your not lying. Maybe you were honestly making that commitment at the time. But your partner is still under the understanding that the commitment still stands. So I'd say definitely lying.
Now is lying the best outcome??? Probably sometimes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes edbaldwin's post
13-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Or as Huck Finn said " I know it is the truth I made it up myself!"
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
13-01-2016, 05:54 PM
(13-01-2016 05:41 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How is cheating not lying? How could it not be? One has made a promise to not cheat, so maybe it is just breaking a promise, but I always felt the bitch was lying when she came home and said that she had been with her female friends when I knew better. One time I had a cheap watch that would work for a few days and then quit. In front of my Now ex-wife I took a hammer and smashed it and said "That is how I treat a watch that lies to me!"

I agree in the sense that I promised my wife when we got married that she would be the one and only. OK, maybe that is old and square in this day and age, but I never cheated on her. We'll have been married 35 years in a few weeks.

I work quite hard to make sure I don't lie, even to myself. I don't want to keep track of what I said to whom. There was quite a bit of internal conflict with religion that I resolved by rejecting it and its lies. I am a little too honest- my wife is on a diet, and told me a week or so ago that she had lost a couple of pounds. Me and my big mouth, I said that a person's weight can vary that much in a day. Facepalm I did point out a few days later that she was obviously losing inches (which, BTW, is true). That went over much better. Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-01-2016, 06:07 PM
I split up with a woman I was living with for 7 years when I caught her lying (about something relatively minor) -- but -- even though I KNEW she way lying -- I couldn't find a "tell" that told me she was lying......

In other words -- she was a very convincing liar......

Therefore unsuitable to live with............................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-01-2016, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2016 09:58 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
There are certain things I can't be honest about unless it's with people I trust, and there are few people I will trust with that information. Well, I could be honest, but it would destroy connections with most of our family members, most likely. Also it's not exactly appropriate for discussion most of the time. Anyway it would be a massive shitstorm if they found out about it. Dark secrets are fun, aren't they?

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
14-01-2016, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2016 01:49 AM by Gilgamesh.)
Much of the suffering humans experience is directly attributable to their dishonesty. The use of deception in casual day-to-day instances is ultimately a means to cope with insecurities, and is petty. I don't care to help preserve fragile egos; so my part in human interaction will always be a genuine projection of my mind. I don't lie to save face; though conceivably I would lie on the basis that the truth is likely to cause physical harm to myself or others.

Truth (accuracy) matters much to me. That which would contend with it (emotion/biological imperatives) matter not.
14-01-2016, 01:49 AM
(13-01-2016 05:38 PM)DerFish Wrote:  As to how "new" lying is are you talking about in the last 10 years or 4 centuries? I never watched much television growing up, and that ended before 1970 mostly because it seemed that the point of most shows was people lying to each other, whether kids to adults (and included a laugh track) or man to his wife or work relationships. I have also found that the more religious a person is the more they tend to lie, and are seemingly unaware of it as they think of themselves as honest!

I think that lying is quite older than 4 centuries and that it was common since man started to talk. I don't believe in noble savage corrupted by modernity.

As for religious person lying more often I would not be surprised by that but I don't have any data to back it up.

(13-01-2016 05:41 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How is cheating not lying? How could it not be? One has made a promise to not cheat, so maybe it is just breaking a promise, but I always felt the bitch was lying when she came home and said that she had been with her female friends when I knew better. One time I had a cheap watch that would work for a few days and then quit. In front of my Now ex-wife I took a hammer and smashed it and said "That is how I treat a watch that lies to me!"

I see no just in breaking promise as keeping one word is important for me. But still I think that cheating and lying are different things, though affair probably would lead to lies as in example above.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-01-2016, 02:04 AM
I can fly like Superman. Even better in fact.

Actually I am too honest for my own good.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.