Truth is

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 08:11 AM
RE: Truth is
(05-05-2013 07:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Chit-chat between you and the dog is a sign from Our Lady of the Holy Gwynnity that a thread is reaching its demise.

Did you just call me a thread-killer and a conversation-stopper?! Angry

Made me feel as if that fado, based on a poem by David Mourão-Ferreira was written about me... Sadcryface

"Onde o seu corpo passava
Secavam as coisas puras,
Nem rasto de rosa brava
Nem uma folha ficava
Por cima das sepulturas."

"Wherever her body would pass,
All pure things would wither.
No trace of a wild rose,
Not a single leaf would remain
Over the graves."

(I prefer another version, but it ain't to be found.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 08:23 AM
(05-05-2013 07:11 AM)Tellmetruth Wrote:  It doesn't seem like any one here goes deep, so far it's just shallow juvenile insults... Bit disappointing really I was hoping for something a bit more challenging may be someone could have tried to convert me to atheism!

You got back as good as you gave when it came to 'deep' and 'challenging'. Compared to forced child baptisms, one doesn't get 'converted' to atheism. One 'deconverts' themselves or never had a religion to begin with. For those raised and baptized in a certain religion, there are no rituals, hymns, vows or fees when it comes to deconversion.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
05-05-2013, 08:24 AM
(05-05-2013 02:35 AM)Tellmetruth Wrote:  Truth is God

Truth is what is true. If God is real, then the statement 'God is real' is the truth. But 'truth is God' makes no sense.

That's like saying 'sound is jellyfish'.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 4 users Like Elesjei's post
05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
(05-05-2013 08:11 AM)Vera Wrote:  ...
Made me feel as if ...

Sorry. Not intended.

If you are forcing me (which I know you are not) to summon up some imagery, I'd say it's like...

Christmas Day,
the conversation has died.
Adults are slumped and slumbering
in the glow of The Sound Of Music or
The Great Escape.

Two small children
gleefully giggling,
enjoying their new toys,
pulling tinsel off the tree and
occasionally stabbing each other in the eye with sharp instruments.

Smile

You and the dog are the bright flowers that start to grow over the untended grave.

Bowing

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
05-05-2013, 08:52 AM
(05-05-2013 08:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You and the dog are the bright flowers that start to grow over the untended grave.

... I've been unexpectedly poisonous in this thread IMO, actually Tongue Still, I guess bright flowers can also be poisonous. Nothing wrong with that.

Now I must ponder my response to this grave accusation... Consider
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
For all our individual rationality and our collective knowledge, we are surprisingly poor in regard to keeping on one train of thought.

Then again, genius is not achieved by staying on the same tracks. It's achieved through wild leaps and bounds from thought train to thought train, idea to idea.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-05-2013, 09:05 AM
There are flowers and flowers.

[Image: tumblr_mapzil8dZ51qkduzpo1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_lxlkzdLXbE1qd6626o1_500.gif]

(And I have a whole story in Portuguese about a toad, bats, ugliness and beautiful but poisonous lowers Angel )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
05-05-2013, 02:13 PM
(05-05-2013 07:11 AM)Tellmetruth Wrote:  Bit disappointing really I was hoping for something a bit more challenging may be someone could have tried to convert me to atheism!

Well, that's impossible; atheism is simply a reaction to theism. Action and/or reaction is all one's own doing. One controls only one's self and no one else.
______
It seems T, you are establishing a label for yourself here as a reactionary, which means you would most likely rebuke and defy any type of reform or change. Physician heal thyself.

You T, are simply one of numerous run-of-the-mill theists, unable to fathom how anyone is able to live without faith or belief in something outside of their self. You are limited and so you are only able to perceive others to be similarly limited.

You have deliberately wandered into an unfamiliar community to espouse what you know could be viewed there as inflammatory rhetoric. Again, action and/or reaction is all your own doing.

YOU control only yourself, no one else. Since you are here, you get what you seem to have wanted all along and have no reason to sarcastically whine about what or whom you might encounter here. You are a troll and nothing more.

So, fuck off. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
(05-05-2013 02:35 AM)Tellmetruth Wrote:  Truth is the Father we should Worship, the Child we should Nurture and the Holy Spirit we should allow to Flow freely amongst us all.

Truth is God

This is not an argument, this is an assertion. An argument would have premises that, when followed, lead to the conclusion. However, your statement "Truth is God," is not actually proven by the statements preceding it, rather, the statements preceeding it are dependent upon God being Truth. In order for the first part of your post to be relevant, you must first prove the second, which is currently a presupposition.

Therefore, the current status is:

???? --->God is Truth (currently a presupposition)-----> List of moral obligations

Please fill in the blanks.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
(05-05-2013 02:13 PM)kim Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 07:11 AM)Tellmetruth Wrote:  Bit disappointing really I was hoping for something a bit more challenging may be someone could have tried to convert me to atheism!

Well, that's impossible; atheism is simply a reaction to theism. Action and/or reaction is all one's own doing. One controls only one's self and no one else.
______
It seems T, you are establishing a label for yourself here as a reactionary, which means you would most likely rebuke and defy any type of reform or change. Physician heal thyself.

You T, are simply one of numerous run-of-the-mill theists, unable to fathom how anyone is able to live without faith or belief in something outside of their self. You are limited and so you are only able to perceive others to be similarly limited.

You have deliberately wandered into an unfamiliar community to espouse what you know could be viewed there as inflammatory rhetoric. Again, action and/or reaction is all your own doing.

YOU control only yourself, no one else. Since you are here, you get what you seem to have wanted all along and have no reason to sarcastically whine about what or whom you might encounter here. You are a troll and nothing more.

So, fuck off. Drinking Beverage

Kim Thumbsup

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption