(17-04-2017 06:32 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Truth
Love
Balance
Sympathy

Thumbsup

I’d like to add Wisdom and Kindness

Compassion and/or Empathy.
Empathy. You beat me to it.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2017, 07:34 AM
RE: Truth
(17-04-2017 06:51 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 06:40 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Compassion and/or Empathy.
Empathy. You beat me to it.

Note that Chris (Evid3nc3) was rating Truth to be more important than the God in which he had been taught to believe. He's not rating Truth as "the highest concept".

You'll need to define "highest" to establish a basis for this philosophical conversation because so far, responders seem to be interpreting as something that they value highly.

One only needs to tweak the dial on abstracts like 'love' and 'empathy' to see the inherent risks.

I interpreted it as 'fundamental'.

HoC may have interpreted it as such also, hence his choice of 'love' ... but, of course, that way madness lies. So if madness is one's goal...

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
17-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Truth as in, knowing the true reality of things.

Be that knowing what one plus one is or if there exists a soul or if a tree falls over in a forest and there's no-one there to see it, does it make a sound.

Put another way, to eradicate false thoughts and claims in all their forms

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
17-04-2017, 08:13 AM
(17-04-2017 07:56 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Truth as in, knowing the true reality of things.

Be that knowing what one plus one is or if there exists a soul or if a tree falls over in a forest and there's no-one there to see it, does it make a sound.

Put another way, to eradicate false thoughts and claims in all their forms

Is it true that gold is more valuable than silver?

Now answer the same question with the perspective of being a fish. Wink

So what you're really saying is that you value the true (labelled as true, not false) propositions relating to the knowledge of reality very highly. Fair enough.

That's not the same as claiming something to be a "highest concept"... which is a different and also potentially valuable discussion to be had.

Quote:Not trying to be philosophical because I don't know how to. I've only just started studying it...

I'm a novice too, compared to many here. It's a fun and, at times, scary journey.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
17-04-2017, 08:34 AM
(17-04-2017 04:21 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Watching the first 45 seconds of this video got me thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoiW4KO_O...A&index=13

Is truth the highest concept there is? Whatever that means.

Not trying to be philosophical because I don't know how to. I've only just started studying it, but the above video got me thinking.

No. for instance the concept "justice" is a higher level concept than truth. Justice presupposes the concept of truth. Knowledge presupposes the concept truth.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post
17-04-2017, 09:03 AM
(17-04-2017 08:34 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 04:21 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Watching the first 45 seconds of this video got me thinking:

Not trying to be philosophical because I don't know how to. I've only just started studying it, but the above video got me thinking.

No. for instance the concept "justice" is a higher level concept than truth. Justice presupposes the concept of truth. Knowledge presupposes the concept truth.
But without knowing the truth we sometimes cannot administer fair justice and how do you know the knowledge you have is true?

17-04-2017, 09:11 AM
"This sentence is false." demonstrates the impotence of "truth".

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-04-2017, 09:21 AM
(17-04-2017 09:11 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "This sentence is false." demonstrates the impotence of "truth".
How so? If your sentence is false then the truth of it is known. If your sentence is meaningless then it's meaningless.

[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
17-04-2017, 09:33 AM
(17-04-2017 09:21 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 09:11 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "This sentence is false." demonstrates the impotence of "truth".
How so? If your sentence is false then the truth of it is known. If your sentence is meaningless then it's meaningless.

Liar paradox - If "this sentence is false" is true, then the sentence is false, but if the sentence states that it is false, and it is false, then it must be true, and so on.

#sigh
17-04-2017, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2017 09:48 AM by whateverist.)

I think you must mean is truth the highest value? Is it more important to know the truth than to be in a loving relationship, for example.

But "the truth" is not always urgently necessary. How many fence posts are there on the northern side of my property? Doesn't much matter. Sometimes truth just equals facts, and not all facts are vital to living a good life.

"The Truth" is sometimes used to signify the answer to all of life's big questions (even the ones which scarcely make any sense). But all the answers to all the coherent questions are still just a pile of facts, for some of which you might find some use.

It's important to notice that truth is a relationship between language and the way things actually stand empirically. So truth is propositional. Those that accurately describe stuff are true. So it is odd to speak of "the Truth", when any accurate, well formed proposition can be a truth.

I think this is hard for xtians because they conceptualize the truth as being the domain of god. As if "the Truth" is something He decided on and it is up to poor imperfect we to marvel at it.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 4 users Like whateverist's post