Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2017, 05:01 PM
RE: Truth
(19-04-2017 01:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  Philosophers tend to grate my carrot, 'cos a lot who wear that label with pride are a bunch of bullshit artists IMO.....

Agreed. Self-styled "philosophers" are an unnecessary relic of a past long gone. Anybody who describes themselves as such can be guaranteed to be a bullshit artist—in an enlightened 21st century.

Our University of Melbourne (Australia) actually has an entire philosophy department, with more than 100 academic staff bleeding the taxpayers with their absurdist nonsense. Onefuckinghundred!

One of the lecturers, Dr Laura Schroeter, defines philosophy thusly...

"What is philosophy? Philosophy involves the critical examination of big questions. Foundational questions about the nature of the world and our place in it."

—I can't stop laughing. Rolleyes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2017, 05:13 PM
(21-04-2017 05:01 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 01:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  Philosophers tend to grate my carrot, 'cos a lot who wear that label with pride are a bunch of bullshit artists IMO.....

Agreed. Self-styled "philosophers" are an unnecessary relic of a past long gone. Anybody who describes themselves as such can be guaranteed to be a bullshit artist—in an enlightened 21st century.

Our University of Melbourne (Australia) actually has an entire philosophy department, with more than 100 academic staff bleeding the taxpayers with their absurdist nonsense. Onefuckinghundred!

One of the lecturers, Dr Laura Schroeter, defines philosophy thusly...

"What is philosophy? Philosophy involves the critical examination of big questions. Foundational questions about the nature of the world and our place in it."

—I can't stop laughing. Rolleyes

What's so funny?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
21-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
23-04-2017, 12:59 AM
This topic has inspired me to make a new video.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
23-04-2017, 02:39 AM
So experience (long-lived) hopefully brings discernment and we can see what's true and what's not true.

Truth is independent of where we might be in the river but we're all in that river, regardless.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
23-04-2017, 02:40 AM
What's the difference between intelligent and insightful?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
23-04-2017, 03:03 AM
(23-04-2017 02:40 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  What's the difference between intelligent and insightful?

Intelligence is an introspective filter; insight is innovative output

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-04-2017, 08:23 AM
(23-04-2017 02:39 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  So experience (long-lived) hopefully brings discernment and we can see what's true and what's not true.

Truth is independent of where we might be in the river but we're all in that river, regardless.

Exactly! I'm glad someone got it Big Grin

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2017, 08:46 AM
(23-04-2017 02:40 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  What's the difference between intelligent and insightful?
Intelligence is akin to the clock speed of a computer CPU. It provides the ability to quickly and accurately comprehend information.

That is distinct from wisdom, which is the ability to use that acquired data effectively in the service of some reasonable concept of "good".

Insight is the ability to accurately perceive / intuit relationships between facts, and is, I think, a major component of wisdom. Without insight, you don't have innovation or creativity, and the human endeavor is not moved forward.

Put more simply, intelligence is a high clock speed and/or a large number of cores and capacious working memory and permanent storage; wisdom and insight are good software running on that system. As humans we have the privilege of constantly refining our software on the fly.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
23-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Thanks all for the replies