Try this at home... Multiple Times

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
RE: Try this at home... Multiple Times
(30-09-2014 07:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 07:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yabut, violence never solved anything.

Unsure

Solved WWII

[Image: LargeUSFlag.gif]

Too many stars.

Drinking Beverage

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I can see it for the example numbers given, I just don't see how you extend it. If those numbers were 79 and 25 the number of intersections is already monstrous... I guess maybe you do some rearranging to make it easier - 80 x 25 - 25 turns into 20 x 100 - 25 so 1975... but then I've already finished without drawing sticks...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-10-2014, 01:12 AM
(01-10-2014 11:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  I can see it for the example numbers given, I just don't see how you extend it. If those numbers were 79 and 25 the number of intersections is already monstrous... I guess maybe you do some rearranging to make it easier - 80 x 25 - 25 turns into 20 x 100 - 25 so 1975... but then I've already finished without drawing sticks...

Wait, you're right Consider

How the fuck are we supposed to do it with large numbers DLJ? Facepalm

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
02-10-2014, 02:25 AM
(02-10-2014 01:12 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 11:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  I can see it for the example numbers given, I just don't see how you extend it. If those numbers were 79 and 25 the number of intersections is already monstrous... I guess maybe you do some rearranging to make it easier - 80 x 25 - 25 turns into 20 x 100 - 25 so 1975... but then I've already finished without drawing sticks...

Wait, you're right Consider

Bigger paper and more crayons.

I dunno, you people No no imagination.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-10-2014, 02:34 AM
(02-10-2014 02:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 01:12 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Wait, you're right Consider

Bigger paper and more crayons.

Dodgy

I can imagine what to do with you and a crayon but I doubt it'll help with multiplication.

Anyway, just thinking about this it hardly seems very magical - it's just another graphical technique for visualizing what you're doing when you multiply, the innovation is thicker lines to represent groups of 10...

For me, as soon as you do try to extend it you're gonna end up having to come up with all kindsa special rules (for example, keeping it simple, what happens if I have 70 x 80? That means I will have 56 thick intersections, but I have no obvious rule for what to do in that case... So I will take 5 groups of 10 thick intersections and make 5600... Doesn't seem intuitive) which will be just as complicated as doing it the boring old way with numerals.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-10-2014, 11:42 AM
(30-09-2014 01:38 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  If you tried to teach this to elementary kids in the states, parents would be up in arms because it's not the way they learned to do math. Never mind if it's useful or helpful for the kids.

I'll have to see if my wife will bring home the new math books she has received for her first grade class. She's been telling me they don't even use numbers, they use dots to represent the numbers (no, not braille!). She wrote one out for me, but if I can get one I'll scan and post here.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
[+] 1 user Likes Silo1180's post
03-10-2014, 02:37 PM
(02-10-2014 02:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 02:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Bigger paper and more crayons.

Dodgy

I can imagine what to do with you and a crayon but I doubt it'll help with multiplication.

Anyway, just thinking about this it hardly seems very magical - it's just another graphical technique for visualizing what you're doing when you multiply, the innovation is thicker lines to represent groups of 10...

For me, as soon as you do try to extend it you're gonna end up having to come up with all kindsa special rules (for example, keeping it simple, what happens if I have 70 x 80? That means I will have 56 thick intersections, but I have no obvious rule for what to do in that case... So I will take 5 groups of 10 thick intersections and make 5600... Doesn't seem intuitive) which will be just as complicated as doing it the boring old way with numerals.

I guess that's why you still just have to memorize times tables 1-12

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
05-10-2014, 05:02 AM
(03-10-2014 02:37 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I guess that's why you still just have to memorize times tables 1-12

IMO just doing this one very simple thing *early* immediately improves your ability to do maths later in life by an immeasureable amount. I once gave some extra lessons to a girl who was struggling with maths (required for matric pass in South Africa), and she had never memorized her times tables. It made it very hard for her to do calculations in her head. She just used her calculator... In the end I don't think I did much good, because although the maths she had to learn was simple, she wasn't prepared to do the basic work which would *make* it simple - kids will do it for fun, adults... harder to motivate them.

Basic education is the most fundamental thing that you *have* too get right, lessons that you learn early in life affect the rest of it the *most*, and yet in SA and many other parts of the world there is a total dearth of good primary school teachers and precious little government policy addressing this concern. It's enough to make you weep Weeping ... Although I usually take the "gnash your teeth" option.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-10-2014, 05:19 AM
(05-10-2014 05:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 02:37 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I guess that's why you still just have to memorize times tables 1-12

IMO just doing this one very simple thing *early* immediately improves your ability to do maths later in life by an immeasureable amount. I once gave some extra lessons to a girl who was struggling with maths (required for matric pass in South Africa), and she had never memorized her times tables. It made it very hard for her to do calculations in her head. She just used her calculator... In the end I don't think I did much good, because although the maths she had to learn was simple, she wasn't prepared to do the basic work which would *make* it simple - kids will do it for fun, adults... harder to motivate them.

Basic education is the most fundamental thing that you *have* too get right, lessons that you learn early in life affect the rest of it the *most*, and yet in SA and many other parts of the world there is a total dearth of good primary school teachers and precious little government policy addressing this concern. It's enough to make you weep Weeping ... Although I usually take the "gnash your teeth" option.

For me, those tables were a deciding moment. I decided that I hated being educated at and that I wanted to escape the system as soon as I could.

Which I did.

Smartass

05-10-2014, 05:55 PM
I used to play with one of these as a kid Smartass

[Image: 51wN5aygE6L._SX300_.jpg]

I was awesome at multiplication quizzes when I was in 4th grade, I used to win the timed competitions!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.