Try to understand me!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 11:15 AM
RE: Try to understand me!
Be honest and say...

"I can't understand you or see things your way... What you're saying sounds illogical to me. Unless you can provide something testable and falsifiable, you're wasting your time."

It helps if you're a former believer... Because then you can draw on your own experience and use it as a counter argument.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Well, none of this has yet worked on our very own Luminon. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 03:34 PM
It is not because they believe that you do not understand, it is because they believe that you are not listening, and, that if you threw out your preconceived notions for but a fraction of a moment, that they could change your beliefs and lead you to the path that they follow. However, I do not believe there are such people that can change their mind that swiftly, or, even change others' minds that swiftly.
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 03:56 PM
(28-02-2014 02:15 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Do you ever run into people who say something and if you disagree with them they go into "TRY TO UNDERSTAND ME!" mode?

Theists aren't the only ones guilty of that. Drinking Beverage

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-02-2014, 04:01 PM
(28-02-2014 02:15 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Do you ever run into people who say something and if you disagree with them they go into "TRY TO UNDERSTAND ME!" mode?
And when you say that you understand they say you don't because if you would then you would agree with them.
"You don't see what I see!" "You're getting it the wrong way!" "You are too materialistic to see the truth!"
And they go "TRY TO UNDERSTAND ME" 100 times until you go away?

It is especially popular among new age freaks who believe in stuff which consists of cool words which are not connected. They also tend to use quantum, energy, consciousness a lot.

It's their own fault they are too stupid and inarticulate to communicate their opinion in common language. They are usually so naive that surely their opinion, if understood from their perspective, couldn't possibly be refutable. They are deeply arrogant and deserve humiliation. Out think them, out talk them, and put them in their place.

[Image: geoImcXGIQOmfb0Jil2zp_6od392QbLCXCF9r49S...boA1w=w300]
28-02-2014, 05:35 PM
(28-02-2014 03:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Theists aren't the only ones guilty of that. Drinking Beverage

It's not when I disagree with them, it's usually when a mathematician or physicist at work is trying explain something to me and all they get back is a glassy-eyed blank stare, "I've put the cookies on the lowest shelf I can reach for you. You're either gonna have to stand on your tippy toes and stretch or find a step stool or a leg up."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.