Trying on something for size

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Trying on something for size
In the spirit of "A" Week going on now, I thought I'd steal a marketing ploy from the Mormon PR campaign and try this out:

I'm a husband, a father of four. I'm involved in my community, volunteering 100's of hours a year at our local high school. I donate to charities. I'm a civil servant helping to protect our country from those that would do us harm and, I'm an atheist.

What's yours and were do we fly it?

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2011, 11:53 AM
RE: Trying on something for size
Still in many people's eyes an Atheist is worse than a child molester. The A word is pretty disgusting to many.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
24-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Mine's pretty close to yours, minus the civil servant part, although I have run for office twice.
Find all posts by this user
24-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I spend my time between painting low income apartments, and fighting for the rights of transgendered people. I do a lot of work for the homeless and while I'm free I tend to study up on info to see what other projects I can manage/ I'm also writing a few books. I'm a non-theist.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-03-2011, 07:43 PM
(24-03-2011 09:00 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  In the spirit of "A" Week going on now, I thought I'd steal a marketing ploy from the Mormon PR campaign and try this out:

I'm a husband, a father of four. I'm involved in my community, volunteering 100's of hours a year at our local high school. I donate to charities. I'm a civil servant helping to protect our country from those that would do us harm and, I'm an atheist.

That would be a lot more effective than the "you KNOW there is no god," campaign that American Atheists uses.

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
24-03-2011, 10:26 PM
(24-03-2011 07:43 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  
(24-03-2011 09:00 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  In the spirit of "A" Week going on now, I thought I'd steal a marketing ploy from the Mormon PR campaign and try this out:

That would be a lot more effective than the "you KNOW there is no god," campaign that American Atheists uses.

Most definitely. It would be good to (try to) open people's eyes to the fact that we are not all evil, immoral, horrible monsters.

That sentiment makes me sad, honestly.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
25-03-2011, 12:11 AM

I am a poet and musician, I've grown up assisting stray cats and finding them homes. I fought for gay rights and equality here in California, I've also fought to make the world less one-sided on many issues and I'm an Atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 10:44 AM
OK everyone - this is a start Smile Loved reading your descriptions!

As "A" Week on Facebook draws to a close, I wrote about some observations - love to get your comments and feedback. I hate feeling like I "speak for" in anyway for such a diverse group of people, but I think I captured some thoughts fairly well...you be the judge.

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/03/...ebook.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
27-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Seasbury

More excellent writing. I think you are getting better. You definitly have a shot at getting into the bigtime with Dawkins, Sagan etc. Smile

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-03-2011, 05:07 AM
(27-03-2011 03:51 PM)No J. Wrote:  Seasbury

More excellent writing. I think you are getting better. You definitly have a shot at getting into the bigtime with Dawkins, Sagan etc. Smile

No. J - Thanks much! I have a LONG way to go before I approach the likes of those guys - but, Dawkins did tweet my blog this morning! I'm on a big high right now!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog