Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably
So, I've attempted to take a stab at reading the bible. However, I couldn't get past Genesis. The sheer ineptitude of the writers to explain/expand upon anything frustrated me to no end.
I seriously have to ask how anybody can believe this stuff. Please, any ex-theists (or our resident theist) explain? I will give one example that is really, really bugging me, mostly because I am surprised that I had never heard of it before:

Why in the world do people in the bible live so long?? o.0 Seriously, has any theist wondered about that? To me, that's an alarm bell sounding "WTF?" I mean, people are living into their 900s! And still having children! I just can't imagine the explanation theists have for this anomaly. Any explanations, anybody?

Thanks Big Grin

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
RE: Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably
I can tell you what a theist probably tells you, but I am sure both of us still think it's BS.
The "reason" is: In the first place, the human being had an iternity life-until the apple thingy happen. And then, one of the punishment, was to die- not immediatly (since Adam and Eve died "only" few hundreds of years after their sin), but it'll happen. From the sin of Adam and Eve the world became more and more "sinner", and "walk away" from gods' plannings-the punishment didn't help to fix it- so it went down and down.................

Btw, look the persons' average life time 100-200 years ago, it was about 30-40 y.o in developed countries (what then was developed, of course...), and now its about 80 y.o in developed countries. And what had happened 100-200 years ago? Industrial Revolution (which developed medicine came with). Could be that the simple medicine, man-made medicine, had over come gods' punishment? I really need to hear an answer from a theist about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
The answer to every question boils down to, essentially, "magic".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
07-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I was told in my apologetics class that people lived so long before because light travelled much faster.

In hindsight, I realize I should have asked "...what?" I have no idea how speed of light and longevity are interrelated. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ebilekittae's post
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
I have slogged through the Bible, but frankly a lot of I just plain forgot because it was so boring. All those freakin' "begats", and the innumerable lists of who had how many sheep, and bushels of wheat, and wives, and blah blah blah. Some of it is pretty entertaining (the parts with sex or people hacking off other peoples' body parts). But yeah, most of it is like "HOw could a sane person actually believe this nonsense?".
A lot of it sounds like it was borrowed from other religions that came before it (which is true), and IMHO the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John sound kind of like the description of a car wreck, where each person perceived a slightly different thing.
Oh and another thing. A lot of theists that "quote the Bible" have never read the whole thing. They are just parroting what the preacher said in church, or repeating memorized passages.
07-09-2010, 09:52 PM

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
(07-09-2010 02:12 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I just can't imagine the explanation theists have for this anomaly. Any explanations, anybody?

The only reason I believed anything in the bible when I was a kid was because I was told that it was true. Lucky for me I have a very inquisitive mind and when I got older and realized some of what I was being told had to be crap I then proceeded to try to seperate the crap from the truth. After filtering out all the crap there was no religion left.

There have been experiments done that have shown that some people will disbelieve their own eyes if everyone else in a group unitedly states the contrary. This would explain why people who are surrounded by very religious people will not see your arguements because you are not part of the group that has programmed its beliefs into them and your arguements are not what they where programmed with.
08-09-2010, 08:21 PM
I agree with what No J. said. If you are programmed to believe, then chances are you will believe that the Bible makes perfect sense. People who are believers can explain all the stuff in the Bible to were it sounds like it makes perfect sense.
08-09-2010, 11:44 PM

To the vast majority of Theists, the bible is like an online "terms of use agreement". They don't read it, they just scroll down to the bottom and click on "I agree".

^I think I'm putting that in my sig...

TVOR
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheVoiceOfReason's post
09-09-2010, 01:04 AM
The mind of the fundamentalist is like the pupil of the eye: the more light you pour on it, the more it will contract.