Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2010, 09:14 AM
RE: Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably
Thanks for the replies everybody. I guess since I wasn't raised religious, I just find it hard to wrap my head around it, but the group mentality does make sense.
Ashley, I will definitely check out that Lego site; everything is better with Lego! Big Grin

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 11:39 AM
(07-09-2010 02:12 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  So, I've attempted to take a stab at reading the bible. However, I couldn't get past Genesis. The sheer ineptitude of the writers to explain/expand upon anything frustrated me to no end.
I seriously have to ask how anybody can believe this stuff. Please, any ex-theists (or our resident theist) explain? I will give one example that is really, really bugging me, mostly because I am surprised that I had never heard of it before:

Why in the world do people in the bible live so long?? o.0 Seriously, has any theist wondered about that? To me, that's an alarm bell sounding "WTF?" I mean, people are living into their 900s! And still having children! I just can't imagine the explanation theists have for this anomaly. Any explanations, anybody?

Thanks Big Grin

NECRO POST!!!!!!!

But, I did want to address this.

In Ancient Near East culture, to show the importance or power of a person they gave them years. So, people really didn't live that long... it was hyperbolic. There is also the understanding that myth, stories, and real life intertwined to become history according to the culture.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-07-2012, 10:22 PM
It's a lot easier for those of us who were once believing Christians. I read through the bible cover to cover 5 times back then, so I'm pretty familiar with the bible's contents. I also try to keep an open mind, so it's not too difficult to listen to a Christian speaker or to read the bible now because I don't automatically assume it's all going to be worthless or offensive information. It also helps to just think of it as a book of stories, like a book about Greek Mythology.

The Skeptics Annotated Bible is a good place to go if you really desire to go through the bible. You could even just skim it and pick up on all of the scientific problems, contradictions, and genuinely good passages (there are a few) found inside. I used this tool to familiarize myself with the Book of Mormon and Q'uran, though I rarely get practice to flex my insight with either of these.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh, I do see now that this is an old post. Blech.

There's good reason to doubt apologists when they try to make it sound like this literally happened, and then explain it through a scientific mechanism like "there was less water in the atmosphere before the flood" -- they never demonstrate how science explains this... and of course if they could, we'd all be living to 500+ years again (because you can totally live in an artificial atmosphere in our current age).

KC's explanation is fine if it's actually true. KC, is there another work outside of the bible that actually does this "demonstrate importance of a person through years" thing? And what the hell was so important about Methuselah compared to others that actually had stories written about them?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
23-07-2012, 11:39 PM
(07-09-2010 02:12 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  So, I've attempted to take a stab at reading the bible. However, I couldn't get past Genesis. The sheer ineptitude of the writers to explain/expand upon anything frustrated me to no end.
I seriously have to ask how anybody can believe this stuff. Please, any ex-theists (or our resident theist) explain? I will give one example that is really, really bugging me, mostly because I am surprised that I had never heard of it before:

Why in the world do people in the bible live so long?? o.0 Seriously, has any theist wondered about that? To me, that's an alarm bell sounding "WTF?" I mean, people are living into their 900s! And still having children! I just can't imagine the explanation theists have for this anomaly. Any explanations, anybody?

Thanks Big Grin

In order to understand, you need to believe. Credo ut intelligam.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
24-07-2012, 12:31 AM

Thanks Big Grin
Hi, I was once christian/illogical person.

Most of the reason (IMO) my friend. Is:

INDOCTRINATION: I fell into the category most people fall into. The category of believing what my parents told me. But don't blame them, they only fell into that category also.

REALITIES OF LIFE AND DEATH: A lot of reason why homo sapiens invented religion is as a coping mechanism. When a loved one dies, or when bad things happen to good people. homo sapiens find comfort in believing they are someplace better. Or when an evil person does kills a bunch of people and then kills himself, homo sapiens find comfort in believing that that evil man/woman is being tortured.

PRIDE: Homo sapiens are evolved mammals. Overall, even for most atheist, we are disturbed at the idea of being wrong.

People will believe all sorts of silly things. Stories from the bible, Koran, book of mormon etc. To convenience these 3 main reason.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
24-07-2012, 01:14 AM
See why necroposting sux, KC? Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-07-2012, 07:20 AM
(24-07-2012 01:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  See why necroposting sux, KC? Dodgy

It's fun, though.

24-07-2012, 07:24 AM
(24-07-2012 07:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 01:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  See why necroposting sux, KC? Dodgy

It's fun, though.

Fun... if you're a TROLL. Laughat

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
24-07-2012, 07:31 AM
(24-07-2012 07:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 07:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's fun, though.

Fun... if you're a TROLL. Laughat

[Image: Troll_b054db_2102433.jpg]