Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 07:43 AM
RE: Trying to Understand Theism, but Failing Miserably
(24-07-2012 07:31 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 07:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fun... if you're a TROLL. Laughat

[Image: Troll_b054db_2102433.jpg]

Dood. Pix from that site do not hotlink. Not just a troll, but an uneducated troll. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2012, 07:59 AM
(24-07-2012 07:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 07:31 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  [Image: Troll_b054db_2102433.jpg]

Dood. Pix from that site do not hotlink. Not just a troll, but an uneducated troll. Big Grin

BLAH BLAH BLAH

COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN

FINE

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
24-07-2012, 08:06 AM
[Image: TrollFaceDancing.gif]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Sad to see all the posters that have just disappeared and now no longer post here Sad
24-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I can't make myself read the bible anymore either. I did read it when I was 8 and 9 years old and remember a lot of it, and a lot of it is boring as heck.

Life is short, I don't have time for reading about the begats and goats of people that may or may not have existed at all.

I am glad though that a lot of people here are very versed in it and I am picking up on a lot of the salient points by reading here, without having to wade through all the bs.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-07-2012, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 12:41 PM by fstratzero.)
(07-09-2010 02:12 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  So, I've attempted to take a stab at reading the bible. However, I couldn't get past Genesis. The sheer ineptitude of the writers to explain/expand upon anything frustrated me to no end.
I seriously have to ask how anybody can believe this stuff. Please, any ex-theists (or our resident theist) explain? I will give one example that is really, really bugging me, mostly because I am surprised that I had never heard of it before:

Why in the world do people in the bible live so long?? o.0 Seriously, has any theist wondered about that? To me, that's an alarm bell sounding "WTF?" I mean, people are living into their 900s! And still having children! I just can't imagine the explanation theists have for this anomaly. Any explanations, anybody?

Thanks Big Grin

Usually when a Christian actually reads the bible they see a lot of this type of thing and conclude that they are parables. Stories with an overall lesson to be learned.

But...... When I did that, I had to leave the church. I couldn't stand the preacher taking sentences out of these stories and using them to justify what ever it was he decided to teach that day.

As per usual that was just one pillar of belief that failed. It's a domino effect of disbelief that usually leads people to question the other ideas of their beliefs.

It usually goes like this, Christian, Deist, Theist (personally defined god), then atheist. Some people have followed this in reverse order too, to come to belief. Little by little they either come to love logic, rationality, and science, or to love simple short explanations, surviving death, getting rid of guilt by forgiveness, perceived control of the world through prayer etc.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
24-07-2012, 01:00 PM
There never is an explanation that makes sense when it comes to things like this. You got farther then me through the Bible though, I get bored after a couple of lines.

"Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth." Kosh Naranek