Trying to explain Atheism, Agnosticism, and Theism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Trying to explain Atheism, Agnosticism, and Theism
Hello Everyone! Long time Atheist and fan of Seth and his work. I've been watching his videos and reading his stuff since 2009 I believe and it's been a pleasure watching him grow.

Anyhow, I have many conversations with Theists about religion and one thing I hear all too often is that "Atheism is based on faith" or "well what makes you think you know, why not be an Agnostic instead?!" This questions only tell me that the person does not know the definitions of the terms and how belief is different from knowledge. Most people don't know that most Atheists actually are Agnostic Atheists. I made a video to try and explain these details, was hoping you guys would take a look and let me know what you think, or feel free to use it if you know someone would could benefit from this knowledge.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhs6dWSn2GY

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2016, 08:49 AM
RE: Trying to explain Atheism, Agnosticism, and Theism
Welcome to TTA.

Word to the wise... self-promotion usually tends go down like a lead balloon on here. At least without a little introductory stuff first, when you've taken your coat off and bought a round of drinks.

But good video.

Did you know you were pointing to the wrong bits when describing Knowledge vs. Belief?

18-03-2016, 09:04 AM
"Agnostic" never existed in the ancient Greek language. There was only "a-theos" meaning "without god". Thomas Huxley fucked up human logic by trying to split the baby. The problem with that word is the root prefix "a" means "without" and the suffix "gnosis" means "knowledge", nowhere in that when you put it together does it denote what you lack knowledge of. All it says is "I don't know". But the damage is done, so if we are going to use it, lets put it into a proper use as a qualifying word.

One thing which even atheists do is leave out the context of past, present and future. I think that is extremely important if one is going to use the term "agnostic".

So, you have two positions, on OR off as your current position. Which may change in the future, but does not negate the current state of being on or off. So "agnostic" can only refer to the future.

If you say, "I have a specific god" you are an outright theist, such as a Christian or Muslim or Jew.

If you say, "I don't know if there is a god, but I believe currently one exists" you are an "agnostic theist" which is more commonly called "deist" as a generic form of god.

BUT, the word "agnostic" can also apply to atheist.

Right now, my current position is "off" on all past and current claims. I don't know if I will change my mind in the future so as far as that is concerned I am "agnostic"

So I am an agnostic atheist. BUT, to me in the strictest sense even that "agnostic" part is in word only. "Technically" only. Our best data today is running away from the god of the gaps, and is so fleetingly unlikely it isn't a loss to me scrap the idea. Especially knowing how many god claims have died in the past, and how old the planet is and the universe is.

But I am still an atheist, my position currently is "off".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2016, 09:34 AM
(18-03-2016 08:38 AM)DA Butler Wrote:  Hello Everyone! Long time Atheist and fan of Seth and his work. I've been watching his videos and reading his stuff since 2009 I believe and it's been a pleasure watching him grow.

Anyhow, I have many conversations with Theists about religion and one thing I hear all too often is that "Atheism is based on faith" or "well what makes you think you know, why not be an Agnostic instead?!" This questions only tell me that the person does not know the definitions of the terms and how belief is different from knowledge. Most people don't know that most Atheists actually are Agnostic Atheists. I made a video to try and explain these details, was hoping you guys would take a look and let me know what you think, or feel free to use it if you know someone would could benefit from this knowledge.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhs6dWSn2GY

Welcome.

What about those who are anti-theists because of all the damage that theists have caused Mankind?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
19-03-2016, 02:45 PM
(18-03-2016 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

Word to the wise... self-promotion usually tends go down like a lead balloon on here. At least without a little introductory stuff first, when you've taken your coat off and bought a round of drinks.

But good video.

Did you know you were pointing to the wrong bits when describing Knowledge vs. Belief?

Understood sir! What drinks does everyone prefer? As for myself, I like porters and IPAs, I grew up in a Christian house, not too serious though, my mom was a single mom and was a bit of a hippy Christian who also tried to be inclusive of other religions, not realizing the mutual exclusivity. I used to call myself a Christian, but it never really made sense. I eventually read the bible in high school on my own and realized how messed up it was. I'm an engineer and try to make data based decisions, so of course and Agnostic Atheist. I often try to engage in conversations with Theists in order to try and understand why they believe what they believe, mostly to have them feel inspired to question. I've had enough responses that I was evil, immoral, sad, etc. you know the drill, just because I didn't believe in some fairy tale. I made the video because I find that a lot of people don't know what Atheism is at all, and seem to have very skewed definitions of the terms and are unable to view their religion or any other ideals objectively. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys more and have some good discussions.

I did not realize I was pointing to the wrong bits, thank you for pointing that out. I will have to go back and re-edit.
[+] 1 user Likes DA Butler's post
19-03-2016, 02:48 PM
(18-03-2016 09:34 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Welcome.

What about those who are anti-theists because of all the damage that theists have caused Mankind?

Thanks!

I would say your term is perfect...anti-theist. I like to tell them that I'm anti-religion, not anti-religious. It's a great reply to their "hate the sin, not the sinner."
19-03-2016, 02:49 PM
(18-03-2016 09:04 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Thomas Huxley fucked up human logic by trying to split the baby.

Jassus. He musta smoked one too many and been reading Rutherford.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Hey there, good to meet you Smile I quite like your video, I can't even count the number of times that I've tried to explain this distinction to people and I still get the question "so are you an atheist or an agnostic?" And then I have to go over it yet again.
Is there even any situation in which "agnostic" can be (correctly) used as a noun? Because I find that as a whole doing so just tends to confuse things.
21-03-2016, 10:32 AM
(19-03-2016 11:49 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Hey there, good to meet you Smile I quite like your video, I can't even count the number of times that I've tried to explain this distinction to people and I still get the question "so are you an atheist or an agnostic?" And then I have to go over it yet again.
Is there even any situation in which "agnostic" can be (correctly) used as a noun? Because I find that as a whole doing so just tends to confuse things.

I think it can be, but the problem is that so many people don't understand the definition, so it will likely still be misinterpreted. Seems the typical interpretation is the one that mixes agnostic in between theist and atheist. Or, in America, pretty much Agnostic in between Christian and Devil Worshipper, lol. I explained the difference to one person in the past and I think they got it and viewed the concepts differently, so hopefully that will happen more and more. I personally have had some great conversations with Agnostic Theists of a variety of flavors, I've also had disagreements against a Gnostic Atheist.