Trying to keep my head above water...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Trying to keep my head above water...
I'm not even sure where to start. I know everyone is sick to death of the election and presidency bullshit, but this has to do with it, so bear with me or skip this thread entirely if you're tired of hearing about anything to do with said "person".

So, the night of the election, something just... I dunno. I feel like something died in me. I joke at times on the forum that I lost my faith in humanity that night but it's not just a joke. I really did lose my faith in people. I feel like we're fucking screwed. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again and that's just all there is. We could do better as a species but we won't. We've proven that time and time again.

After the election and after I worked thru the initial sadness and shock of it, I sort of existed in a bit of a bubble. I pulled away from listening to news quite as much and tried to enjoy the last bit of 2016 and early bit of 2017 as best I could. I had told Rev at one point that as much as everyone wanted 2016 to go away, my fear was that what if we look back and 2016 was the good year. The last good year.

I feel that fear has been realized. Things are even worse than I'd feared. The man sitting in the White House is so much like my ex that it's a nightmare. I escaped one person like that only to have another take over the nation.

I feel completely helpless and not at all in control of my life. When my marriage was bad, I was depressed for a while, but then I did something about it, because I could strongly affect change in a relationship in my own private life. But this whole thing is so much bigger. All my representatives are shyster Republicans who could not give a shit less about secular voters. I contacted them all recently but they of course sent back the form letter responses with the bullshit about doing what is best for the country.

The world is falling apart and there's nothing I can do. I think my kids will have a worse childhood and future than me. I cry just thinking about that. I've felt many times that I should never have had kids, that I'm not a super-great mom, but now I really wish I'd never had them because when I think of their future, all I see is bleakness.

It's getting harder and harder for me to get up and go to work each day. I used to care about not making the kids late for school but anymore I just don't really care. It's not like they're getting much of an education here in Texas anyway. And work, well, I feel like the rug will be pulled out from under me somehow soon. I feel like everything is coming apart. I feel like I got my personal railcar on track just in time for a maniac to jump in the conductor's seat.

I hate feeling this way and honestly it is not 24/7 that I feel this way, but it is far more than I'd like it to be. My personal life is good. It is still okay for now, but for how long? Things are going to hell in a handbasket and I'm just trying to hold onto whatever little bit of sanity I can.

If I could feel some semblance of control over the situation, or like there was something I could do besides pissing in the wind with contacting my reps (and there's no way I'd run for any political position, I just don't have the personality), then maybe it'd be a bit better. All I know is right now, I sort of envy the deluded Christians who think that someone out there is watching all this go down and has some kind of plan (however convoluted) and that everything is going according to that plan.

I told Rev last night I was going to cryogenically freeze myself for the next 4 years but he wasn't on board with that idea. >.> Can't imagine why. Tongue

I don't even know if I want advice or if I just needed to vent or what. I'm just tired of feeling this way. I'd bury my head and ignore the news totally but then I'd just be part of the problem, part of what got us into this mess in the first place.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
30-01-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Trying to keep my head above water...
(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I'm not even sure where to start. I know everyone is sick to death of the election and presidency bullshit, but this has to do with it, so bear with me or skip this thread entirely if you're tired of hearing about anything to do with said "person".

So, the night of the election, something just... I dunno. I feel like something died in me. I joke at times on the forum that I lost my faith in humanity that night but it's not just a joke. I really did lose my faith in people. I feel like we're fucking screwed. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again and that's just all there is. We could do better as a species but we won't. We've proven that time and time again.

After the election and after I worked thru the initial sadness and shock of it, I sort of existed in a bit of a bubble. I pulled away from listening to news quite as much and tried to enjoy the last bit of 2016 and early bit of 2017 as best I could. I had told Rev at one point that as much as everyone wanted 2016 to go away, my fear was that what if we look back and 2016 was the good year. The last good year.

I feel that fear has been realized. Things are even worse than I'd feared. The man sitting in the White House is so much like my ex that it's a nightmare. I escaped one person like that only to have another take over the nation.

I feel completely helpless and not at all in control of my life. When my marriage was bad, I was depressed for a while, but then I did something about it, because I could strongly affect change in a relationship in my own private life. But this whole thing is so much bigger. All my representatives are shyster Republicans who could not give a shit less about secular voters. I contacted them all recently but they of course sent back the form letter responses with the bullshit about doing what is best for the country.

The world is falling apart and there's nothing I can do. I think my kids will have a worse childhood and future than me. I cry just thinking about that. I've felt many times that I should never have had kids, that I'm not a super-great mom, but now I really wish I'd never had them because when I think of their future, all I see is bleakness.

It's getting harder and harder for me to get up and go to work each day. I used to care about not making the kids late for school but anymore I just don't really care. It's not like they're getting much of an education here in Texas anyway. And work, well, I feel like the rug will be pulled out from under me somehow soon. I feel like everything is coming apart. I feel like I got my personal railcar on track just in time for a maniac to jump in the conductor's seat.

I hate feeling this way and honestly it is not 24/7 that I feel this way, but it is far more than I'd like it to be. My personal life is good. It is still okay for now, but for how long? Things are going to hell in a handbasket and I'm just trying to hold onto whatever little bit of sanity I can.

If I could feel some semblance of control over the situation, or like there was something I could do besides pissing in the wind with contacting my reps (and there's no way I'd run for any political position, I just don't have the personality), then maybe it'd be a bit better. All I know is right now, I sort of envy the deluded Christians who think that someone out there is watching all this go down and has some kind of plan (however convoluted) and that everything is going according to that plan.

I told Rev last night I was going to cryogenically freeze myself for the next 4 years but he wasn't on board with that idea. >.> Can't imagine why. Tongue

I don't even know if I want advice or if I just needed to vent or what. I'm just tired of feeling this way. I'd bury my head and ignore the news totally but then I'd just be part of the problem, part of what got us into this mess in the first place.

I started out that way. But I see it a bit less bleak now. Firstly, there are the mid terms in 2 years, hopefully changing the house and senate back to democrat. Secondly, there are hundreds of thousands of people demonstrating - and frequently.

Put those two together and things look up a bit. Also, if trump gets impeached within these two years and Pence steps in, he won't have the cooperation of the house and senate and can just sit there for 2 years til the next election.

These are the things that keep me from slipping into a blue funk about this.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Just remember ----

8 years ago when President Obama got elected - almost half the country felt just like you do now -- like life was over.

Those pricks are still here, right???? They must be, because they elected the buffoon into office.

So it lends to reason - that you'll make it just fine.

You just have to wait for the pendulum to swing the other way.

History shows that it will.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-01-2017, 01:59 PM
(30-01-2017 01:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Just remember ----

8 years ago when President Obama got elected - almost half the country felt just like you do now -- like life was over.

Those pricks are still here, right???? They must be, because they elected the buffoon into office.

I think there's a big difference.

Here's a photo of an "impeach Obama" protest:
[Image: 10940454_10204296586112556_5794024254978791338_n.jpg]

Here's a photo of the women's march protesting Trump:
[Image: dc.jpg]

One of these things is not like the other.
[+] 5 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
30-01-2017, 02:05 PM
I feel like I should say something positive and uplifting, but I have honestly been feeling similarly. Especially in regards to what our children's future will look like.

I suppose this is what every parent feels like in light of an evil dictatorship. I know we're not quite there yet, but man, it really feels like some horrible people are pulling at the thread of democracy.

In terms of specifics, I am deeply concerned about global warming, climate change, extreme weather, drought and food shortages, air quality, etc. And with no end in sight or any real means to change the trajectory, this is the shit show our kids are inheriting. Politics aside, this is what scares me the most.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
30-01-2017, 03:11 PM
(30-01-2017 01:59 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 01:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Just remember ----

I think there's a big difference.

Here's a photo of an "impeach Obama" protest:
[Image: 10940454_10204296586112556_5794024254978791338_n.jpg]

Here's a photo of the women's march protesting Trump:
[Image: dc.jpg]

One of these things is not like the other.

I wouldn't let numbers rule.......

I've heard it said that the reason for the difference in the numbers --- is the Obama protestors had jobs, and couldn't take the day off.....................

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-01-2017, 03:18 PM
(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I'm not even sure where to start. I know everyone is sick to death of the election and presidency bullshit, but this has to do with it, so bear with me or skip this thread entirely if you're tired of hearing about anything to do with said "person".

It was eery reading this because it is almost exactly what I'd write if I were to make a similar thread. Everything you said and are experiencing, I am too. The post-election struggle, the withdrawing from society a bit, the bleak future of my kids, the lack of enthusiasm for work, etc. I got rid of my facebook the day after the election because I didn't want to see any of it from other people. I stopped listening to and digesting the news and have only recently started to listen to the news on the radio on my daily drive to and from work. I feel like I would be better off in cryostasis with you for ~4 years until the orange buffoon is gone, but will he be? Who will replace him? What if he has to leave office and fucking Pence takes over? Is he better or worse?

And, just like you, I don't even know if what I want is for someone to tell me it will all be better, or just cry with me a little and vent their feelings too. I do feel better knowing I am not alone. I will do something. I will resist. I will not go quietly. But for now, I just want to curl up with a good tv show and a joint.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
30-01-2017, 03:27 PM
(30-01-2017 03:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

It was eery reading this because it is almost exactly what I'd write if I were to make a similar thread. Everything you said and are experiencing, I am too. The post-election struggle, the withdrawing from society a bit, the bleak future of my kids, the lack of enthusiasm for work, etc. I got rid of my facebook the day after the election because I didn't want to see any of it from other people. I stopped listening to and digesting the news and have only recently started to listen to the news on the radio on my daily drive to and from work. I feel like I would be better off in cryostasis with you for ~4 years until the orange buffoon is gone, but will he be? Who will replace him? What if he has to leave office and fucking Pence takes over? Is he better or worse?

And, just like you, I don't even know if what I want is for someone to tell me it will all be better, or just cry with me a little and vent their feelings too. I do feel better knowing I am not alone. I will do something. I will resist. I will not go quietly. But for now, I just want to curl up with a good tv show and a joint.

Ditto. All the news and such I post is from either NPR or things I heard on social media and then checked out for myself. I've turned on CNN once since the election. Had to watch Fox News once at New Year's.

So tired of being told "just ignore it" or "find your happy place" or "God will work it all out". It's good on one hand to know that others feel the same, but it's sad so many feel that way. Sorry BeardedDude, sorry ShadowProject, sorry Escape Artist. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
30-01-2017, 03:29 PM
(30-01-2017 03:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 03:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It was eery reading this because it is almost exactly what I'd write if I were to make a similar thread. Everything you said and are experiencing, I am too. The post-election struggle, the withdrawing from society a bit, the bleak future of my kids, the lack of enthusiasm for work, etc. I got rid of my facebook the day after the election because I didn't want to see any of it from other people. I stopped listening to and digesting the news and have only recently started to listen to the news on the radio on my daily drive to and from work. I feel like I would be better off in cryostasis with you for ~4 years until the orange buffoon is gone, but will he be? Who will replace him? What if he has to leave office and fucking Pence takes over? Is he better or worse?

Ditto. All the news and such I post is from either NPR or things I heard on social media and then checked out for myself. I've turned on CNN once since the election. Had to watch Fox News once at New Year's.

So tired of being told "just ignore it" or "find your happy place" or "God will work it all out". It's good on one hand to know that others feel the same, but it's sad so many feel that way. Sorry BeardedDude, sorry ShadowProject, sorry Escape Artist. Sad

I have started listening to CNN and MSNBC more and more almost exclusively because I know Trump and the conservatives hate it. I used to avoid them in order to try and ingest my news from sources seen as less biased by the right, but what the fuck do I care for now? They digest patently false bullshit and literal fake news, so why do I care about their opinions of my preferred news sources?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
30-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Some days I'm hoarse from screaming at the television. I keep waiting for my emotions to adjust. And every day's a little scarier and more enraging than the one before it.

The main comfort I can offer is that you're not alone in this long, terrible reaction.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post