Trying to keep my head above water...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 04:46 PM
RE: Trying to keep my head above water...
I've tried different strategies. For a few days, I tried to get drunk when I got home from work. This isn't a good plan for a diabetic (or for anyone), so I stopped that after a few days. Then I stopped reading the paper, and avoided news media in general. That lasted about a week. Then I swung completely the other way and read all the news I could get my hands on, from both sides of the spectrum (New York Times and The Nation for the liberal view, The Weekly Standard and National Review for the conservative side). But that just ate up too much time. Now I'm back to reading just one newspaper every day (the local Wisconsin State Journal, which is middle-of-the-road, going to neither extreme). I'm still depressed, but all you can do is live your life and hope for the best -- and work for positive change in whatever ways are available to you. At the very least, you can vote in the midterms two years from now.

Bottom line -- don't let it ruin your life. Most of the day-to-day details of life won't change much, and in the long run, what goes around comes around anyway (as olb pointed out -- I only hope Trump and Pence don't do any permanent damage before that happens).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
30-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks, everybody. Just knowing that I am not alone in how I'm feeling is a comfort in and of itself. Hug

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
30-01-2017, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2017 06:42 PM by cactus.)
(30-01-2017 01:59 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Here's a photo of an "impeach Obama" protest:
[Image: 10940454_10204296586112556_5794024254978791338_n.jpg]

Here's a photo of the women's march protesting Trump:
[Image: dc.jpg]

One of these things is not like the other.

Even moreso because you cherry picked them. Drinking Beverage

Things will swing left in 2018.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5...-29_v8.pdf

Just keep listening to lots of different people's opinions on the matter, and it might cheer you up. The anti-sjw atheists on Youtube seem to be enjoying themselves right now. Rolleyes

Political news is all I read right now. I have put my hobbies on hold. I don't expect to see anything like this happen again in the US within my lifetime, and it's just too important for me to ignore.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
30-01-2017, 06:45 PM
(30-01-2017 03:11 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 01:59 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I think there's a big difference.

Here's a photo of an "impeach Obama" protest:
[Image: 10940454_10204296586112556_5794024254978791338_n.jpg]

Here's a photo of the women's march protesting Trump:
[Image: dc.jpg]

One of these things is not like the other.

I wouldn't let numbers rule.......

I've heard it said that the reason for the difference in the numbers --- is the Obama protestors had jobs, and couldn't take the day off.....................

heh

The massive protests have been on the weekend when a lot of people have the day off. When I went to the Woman's March a week ago the vast majority of people I encountered were working, middle class people but it was on a Saturday. This whole thing of protesters being lay-abouts and out of work is ridiculous.

I went to a student march over a month ago and most of the students worked part time and some worked full time and still found time to take a full load of classes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-01-2017, 08:12 PM
(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I'm not even sure where to start. I know everyone is sick to death of the election and presidency bullshit, but this has to do with it, so bear with me or skip this thread entirely if you're tired of hearing about anything to do with said "person".

G'day mate... Although I'm in Australia, I can certainly empathise with your anguish, and assure you that you're absolutely not alone with the sorts of negative feelings you're experiencing right now. Even from a distance, I'm getting a very strong impression of disquiet from your average American citizen, plus a feeling of hopelessness and helplessness regarding their future and their kids future. Even here downunder, there's a widespread fear and loathing about the orange grub's lunatic policies and hare-brained notions about international diplomacy. We just couldn't believe that a buffoon like Trump could actually make it to the White House, and we assumed (stupidly apparently) that Clinton would walk it in—even as the lesser of two evils.

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  So, the night of the election, something just... I dunno. I feel like something died in me. I joke at times on the forum that I lost my faith in humanity that night but it's not just a joke. I really did lose my faith in people. I feel like we're fucking screwed. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again and that's just all there is. We could do better as a species but we won't. We've proven that time and time again.

I think it's important—critical?—to not lose faith in the wider community, or the average Joe in the street or whomever. At the end of the day, I like to think that things will ultimately turn out okay, notwithstanding or in spite of our idiot politicians. They can only push their own agenda to a certain tipping point before they effectively self-destruct, or their party gives them the flick.

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  After the election and after I worked thru the initial sadness and shock of it, I sort of existed in a bit of a bubble. I pulled away from listening to news quite as much and tried to enjoy the last bit of 2016 and early bit of 2017 as best I could. I had told Rev at one point that as much as everyone wanted 2016 to go away, my fear was that what if we look back and 2016 was the good year. The last good year.

Yeah... I've also cut down on a lot of political news in the last 8 days. Here in Oz, and the US and the UK papers. It's all more of the same old, same old, and yes; very depressing. If I were you, I'd maybe just quickly scan the headlines for a very brief overview, and definitely don't read any reports by so-called political commentators or wannabes. One of their jobs is to sell papers, and as you know, good news sells less papers than bad news.

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I feel completely helpless and not at all in control of my life.

I know it sounds too glib, but you need to try and accept that you are still—ultimately—in control of you and your kids' lives. Life will go on relatively untouched for us peasants regardless of what the orange grub does or doesn't do. Nobody will let him start WWIII for example by nuking China.

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The world is falling apart and there's nothing I can do. I think my kids will have a worse childhood and future than me.

Yep, agreed. It's almost impossible to imagine what the world will be like in 20 or 30 years' time. But then I guess our parents were saying something similar when we were bubs. And it turned out not as bad as the doomsayers were predicting then. I suppose with our kids we have to be confident that things will pan out for the better, and try not to project any of our negative feelings onto them.

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  My personal life is good. It is still okay for now, but for how long? Things are going to hell in a handbasket and I'm just trying to hold onto whatever little bit of sanity I can.

I'm glad to hear that you're travelling okay at the moment. I know it's difficult to be optimistic about the future, but if you can somehow hold onto your current personal, mental momentum, and disassociate yourself from the harsh realities—at least to some degree—then things may just turn out alright.

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I told Rev last night I was going to cryogenically freeze myself for the next 4 years but he wasn't on board with that idea. Can't imagine why. Tongue

Uh... no washed dishes, or clean floors, or ironed shirts maybe? Tongue

(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I don't even know if I want advice or if I just needed to vent or what. I'm just tired of feeling this way. I'd bury my head and ignore the news totally but then I'd just be part of the problem, part of what got us into this mess in the first place.

I'm glad you vented here; for one it helps for your stress levels to be shared and reduced somewhat, and secondly I'm relieved to know that my own feelings about the POTUS are on the right (uh...?) track.

Hang in there Escape Artist, and please let's know how you're getting on along the way if you need to.

—Good luck.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
30-01-2017, 08:25 PM
OP

I feel very much the same way. Humanity isn't going to make it. I suspect this same pattern of self-destruction has happened to countless alien species across the universe and it's an unavoidable outcome.
30-01-2017, 08:55 PM
I think the thing that keeps me going, besides participating in marches and calling my representatives, is knowing today is going to be different than yesterday and tomorrow is going to be different than today. Nothing ever stays the same. Certainly, one day may be a little worse than the previous day but no day is exactly the same as another day.

Does this make sense?

It's the idea that everything is always in a state of flux. Bad things and good things. Nothing stays the same.

Someday in the future people will look back at this moment in history the same way we look back at the treatment of Japanese Internment Camps or the Jews in German and wonder how could people be so callous towards their fellow human beings. And goddammit! I KNOW it's wrong to treat the Muslims or Jews or the Japanese with such disregard. You and I KNOW trump is wrong and history will prove us right.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-01-2017, 09:05 PM
WW2 was horrible but today we are burdened with the capacity for complete annihilation and we're in the midst of a full force ecological calamity. The idea that there will be a human future to look back on all this is almost definitely wishful thinking.
30-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Feeling a little better tonight. Watched a few episodes of a British drama on Netflix, did my evening walk, laughed a bit with Rev and the kids, too. Smile

Oh, and yeah... I'm the "dish fairy" around here so Rev might would miss that if I cryogenically froze myself. Hobo But really he said "And leave me here with your kids? Nah." Tongue

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
30-01-2017, 10:20 PM
(30-01-2017 09:05 PM)ImFred Wrote:  WW2 was horrible but today we are burdened with the capacity for complete annihilation and we're in the midst of a full force ecological calamity. The idea that there will be a human future to look back on all this is almost definitely wishful thinking.

I'm guessing that the notorious Bay of Pigs invasion happened before you were born—in the middle of the Cold War some 55 years ago. The doomsayers at that time were talking exactly as you are now, and their panic-mode turned out to be just as misguided as yours will prove to be.

And please remember that this thread is about giving Escape Artist some sort of positive direction and moral support, and not about your injudicious notions to do with the state of the world. And if you think we're now "burdened with the capacity for complete annihilation" you need to read a few history books about global nuclear arms race of the 1960s, and the Cold War doctrine of mutually assured destruction, or MAD. We were actually taught at school how to seek shelter under our desks (yeah, right) if the Russians or the Yanks hit the red button.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post