Trying to keep my head above water...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 10:22 PM
RE: Trying to keep my head above water...
(30-01-2017 10:02 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Feeling a little better tonight. Watched a few episodes of a British drama on Netflix, did my evening walk, laughed a bit with Rev and the kids, too. Smile

Oh, and yeah... I'm the "dish fairy" around here so Rev might would miss that if I cryogenically froze myself. Hobo But really he said "And leave me here with your kids? Nah." Tongue

Pleased to hear this EA. In fact you've made this the high point of my day. Thank you. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
30-01-2017, 11:03 PM
(30-01-2017 10:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm guessing that the notorious Bay of Pigs invasion happened before you were born—in the middle of the Cold War some 55 years ago. The doomsayers at that time were talking exactly as you are now, and their panic-mode turned out to be just as misguided as yours will prove to be.
Except that we had a competent leader, bipartisan cooperation, and a general respect for civil society and the rule of law. Kennedy didn't fire the AG for disagreeing with him.

There is something fundamentally different going on here. It could go a number of ways. One of those ways is that we'll all have a good laugh about this after it amounts to not all that much in the great scheme of things and it turns out our institutions and principles are invincible after all. Another is that we'll all have a good laugh after Trump is bundled off to the nuthatch or impeached and we'll actually think Pence is far better. Another is that President Bannon -- er, Trump -- manages to destroy the rule of law and create his notion of an authoritarian brownshirt paradise. Another is that he antagonizes us into military confrontation with China, North Korea, and/or just bogs us down in the Middle East -- or simply starts a war or other major crisis to hold onto power and have more reasons to claim to his knuckle-dragging supporters that only he can save them. Another is that he'll simply turn us into a banana republic, strip the government for his personal and family enrichment, and it'll be kind of like living under the mafia. Keep your head down, pay your protection, and you'll be fine.

My way of coping with it is just to recognize that in large measure it's way bigger than me and this sort of thing is playing out, or attempting to, all over the world. There is nowhere to run and hide really. So I just batten down the hatches (I'm speaking with our investment advisor in a couple of days and having him lock in recent market gains and move me to a very defensive posture for the duration, so my retirement accounts aren't very likely to erode in what I'm convinced is the coming market downdraft).

And then I keep on keepin' on. Being white, of European descent, and heterosexual, and debt free, I probably don't have much to worry about personally, so long as society manages to lurch along without descending into chaos. And if that happens, there's nothing I can do anyway. Make sure I know where my spare pair of glasses are, and keep a leap pipe under the bed, I guess.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
30-01-2017, 11:11 PM
(30-01-2017 11:03 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 10:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm guessing that the notorious Bay of Pigs invasion happened before you were born—in the middle of the Cold War some 55 years ago. The doomsayers at that time were talking exactly as you are now, and their panic-mode turned out to be just as misguided as yours will prove to be.
Except that we had a competent leader, bipartisan cooperation, and a general respect for civil society and the rule of law. Kennedy didn't fire the AG for disagreeing with him.

There is something fundamentally different going on here. It could go a number of ways. One of those ways is that we'll all have a good laugh about this after it amounts to not all that much in the great scheme of things and it turns out our institutions and principles are invincible after all. Another is that we'll all have a good laugh after Trump is bundled off to the nuthatch or impeached and we'll actually think Pence is far better. Another is that President Bannon -- er, Trump -- manages to destroy the rule of law and create his notion of an authoritarian brownshirt paradise. Another is that he antagonizes us into military confrontation with China, North Korea, and/or just bogs us down in the Middle East -- or simply starts a war or other major crisis to hold onto power and have more reasons to claim to his knuckle-dragging supporters that only he can save them. Another is that he'll simply turn us into a banana republic, strip the government for his personal and family enrichment, and it'll be kind of like living under the mafia. Keep your head down, pay your protection, and you'll be fine.

My way of coping with it is just to recognize that in large measure it's way bigger than me and this sort of thing is playing out, or attempting to, all over the world. There is nowhere to run and hide really. So I just batten down the hatches (I'm speaking with our investment advisor in a couple of days and having him lock in recent market gains and move me to a very defensive posture for the duration, so my retirement accounts aren't very likely to erode in what I'm convinced is the coming market downdraft).

And then I keep on keepin' on. Being white, of European descent, and heterosexual, and debt free, I probably don't have much to worry about personally, so long as society manages to lurch along without descending into chaos. And if that happens, there's nothing I can do anyway. Make sure I know where my spare pair of glasses are, and keep a leap pipe under the bed, I guess.

Don't forget the EPA and Trump's commitment to accelerate global warming.
31-01-2017, 12:14 AM
I am still stunned and appalled that he is the president. And I get more appalled by the day.

I feel a sense of impending doom, though while I don't really expect disaster, I fear that it is more possible than ever.

However, life goes on. I will take comfort and happiness in the things that I enjoy and that I have control over. I will find some opportunities to work against Trump and the Republicans, if only to help insure that Massachusetts continues to have no Trump supporters in the House or Senate. I will write letters, I will speak out, I will point out to those who support him that they are blinded by bigotry, hatred, and fear disguised as patriotism.

I will not despair.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
31-01-2017, 12:23 AM
The only thing shorter than the average American's attention span is their memory.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-01-2017, 08:13 AM
(30-01-2017 11:11 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Don't forget the EPA and Trump's commitment to accelerate global warming.
Oh, trust me, I'm not.

My wife is on the board of directors of our neighborhood HOA, and I joined her in talking to the guy who does the snow plowing for us. We were discussing contingency plans for particularly heavy snowfalls and where to pile it up, etc., and when one of the other board members mentioned this seemed a bit of overkill to be concerned about because we normally have relatively mild snowfall totals here, the contractor corrected him -- he fully expects more wild swings in the weather, and more of what were formerly 100-year storms. And he's right. And while he gets paid by the job and is probably rooting for more winter business, this actually surprised me because a scant ten years ago I think we would have been nearly alone in such concerns. It is now becoming commonly accepted truth. As it was, the lone board member was the only one asleep, and he wasn't particularly opposed or denialist, just unaware.
31-01-2017, 08:19 AM
(31-01-2017 12:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am still stunned and appalled that he is the president. And I get more appalled by the day.

I feel a sense of impending doom, though while I don't really expect disaster, I fear that it is more possible than ever.

However, life goes on. I will take comfort and happiness in the things that I enjoy and that I have control over. I will find some opportunities to work against Trump and the Republicans, if only to help insure that Massachusetts continues to have no Trump supporters in the House or Senate. I will write letters, I will speak out, I will point out to those who support him that they are blinded by bigotry, hatred, and fear disguised as patriotism.

I will not despair.
This is indeed the only effective and rational response. Even in terms of what you CAN do, there's more than enough to occupy you, and for activists (hard core or weekend types alike) burnout is the biggest problem. So you have to pick one or two things you can really contribute to and focus on those. My wife participated for example in our own city's women's march and manages the social media accounts of two different progressive organizations. I will probably do the science march when it comes around, etc.

Indeed some think Trump was deliberately drawing out protesters on the weekend over the immigrant ban, hoping to exhaust them ahead of even worse fuckery. Personally I don't think he's that organized or strategic and to the extent he (or Bannon really) is, I think they underestimate the sleeping giant they are awakening, or its persistence.

Next up I think we need a national strike. The people are behind this. I read this morning that the JFK protests delayed flights and when the captain on one inbound flight announced why they would be landing an hour late, cheers went up amongst the passengers. People are willing to be inconvenienced and make sacrifices. We need to stoke that momentum; our worst enemy is fatigue and shock and fatalism.
31-01-2017, 09:28 AM
(31-01-2017 08:19 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am still stunned and appalled that he is the president. And I get more appalled by the day.

I will not despair.
This is indeed the only effective and rational response. Even in terms of what you CAN do, there's more than enough to occupy you, and for activists (hard core or weekend types alike) burnout is the biggest problem. So you have to pick one or two things you can really contribute to and focus on those. My wife participated for example in our own city's women's march and manages the social media accounts of two different progressive organizations. I will probably do the science march when it comes around, etc.

Indeed some think Trump was deliberately drawing out protesters on the weekend over the immigrant ban, hoping to exhaust them ahead of even worse fuckery. Personally I don't think he's that organized or strategic and to the extent he (or Bannon really) is, I think they underestimate the sleeping giant they are awakening, or its persistence.

Next up I think we need a national strike. The people are behind this. I read this morning that the JFK protests delayed flights and when the captain on one inbound flight announced why they would be landing an hour late, cheers went up amongst the passengers. People are willing to be inconvenienced and make sacrifices. We need to stoke that momentum; our worst enemy is fatigue and shock and fatalism.

(31-01-2017 08:19 AM)mordant Wrote:  Next up I think we need a national strike.

My husband was reading about this movement on the internet. I don't think this has ever been done in this country. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would be behind this 100% . This administration needs to really see what people think of their policies and their fucked up, clueless leader.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-01-2017, 11:12 AM
(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I've felt many times that I should never have had kids, that I'm not a super-great mom, but now I really wish I'd never had them because when I think of their future, all I see is bleakness.

I'm not so good with the advice/encouragement stuff, but I just wanted to say that pretty much all of your post - but especially this bit (and really especially the first half) - is exactly how I've been feeling too. Also, I too live in Texas and agree it's like shouting in the wind.

This whole atheist thing is rather new to me, so I understand completely when you say you almost envy Christians who can be all "God's in control, he can use trump, I can just let go and let god!" etc., etc., blech. I vacillate between wishing I had their calmness and wanting to yell at them that that attitude is a very large part of the reason we're in this mess. I am heartened by the millions fighting and marching across the globe, and am (very very slowly) trying to expand my introvert bubble to join them how I can.
[+] 1 user Likes leigh7911's post
31-01-2017, 06:55 PM
(31-01-2017 08:13 AM)mordant Wrote:  My wife is on the board of directors of our neighborhood HOA, and I joined her in talking to the guy who does the snow plowing for us. We were discussing contingency plans for particularly heavy snowfalls and where to pile it up, etc., and when one of the other board members mentioned this seemed a bit of overkill to be concerned about because we normally have relatively mild snowfall totals here, the contractor corrected him—he fully expects more wild swings in the weather, and more of what were formerly 100-year storms. [...]

I'm guessing your snow-plow man doesn't understand what a "100-year storm" actually is—it's a misinterpretation of terminology. All it means is that in any year, there's 1% chance of a record storm. It's possible to have a 100-year storm on two consecutive years for example, or three in one year. It doesn't mean that such a storm will occur once in any 100-year period, or that there's an interval of 100 years between such events—which is what your plow man erroneously believes.

Put simply, all this means is that more than a single 100-year storm in a short time period is not necessarily indicative of a changing and/or warming-cooling climate. The 1:100 odds of an extreme weather event is identical each and every year.

This is exactly the sort of misinformation—spread by ignoramuses—about stuff like global warming that only exacerbates the growing despair felt by people like Escape Artist, plus a lot of our disfranchised youth, and technically naive senior citizens. Just because someone operates a snow plow doesn't give them any additional, or superior knowledge, about global climatic patterns—the guy might've even been a high-school dropout.

—And I see this 100-year storm or flood, or cyclone terminology misrepresented on dozens of non-scientific climate change sites.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.