Trying to keep my head above water...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2017, 07:18 PM
RE: Trying to keep my head above water...
I am not living in the US but sometimes the voice from outside may be helpful to put things into perspective.

I agree, Trump is probably gonna fuck a lot of shit up. He already started. Just don't think that Hilary would have been better. She'd have fucked up just as bad but she'd have been less vocal and open about it. The US need a change in their political system and every revolution needs to reach a certain point to happen - Let's hope that Trump is this point.

Now with this out of the way:
I understand where you are coming from with your feelings. This feeling that humanity has now hit rock bottom and there is no lower, the feeling that there is just no hope for humans. I know it too well and can sympathise. I have been at that point and have been pushed to cross it way too many times due to my job.
You know the only way I get through that is the realization that I have only one life and I am gonna make the most of it. There is only so much you can do for yourself and your kids. Just try to make the best of your time on this planet really.

Here is a story that my mom told me when I was younger and felt like giving up sometimes. Maybe it's a silly story but it helps me when I feel like I've hit a wall. I hope it helps you too.:
Two frogs fells into a jar of cream.
As they were swimming and getting tired, one of the frogs said "Oh it has no use. I cannot jump out of this and I cannot keep swimming." he gave up and drowned.
The other frog kept swimming and started moving his legs very fast so the cream was beaten and turned into butter. And at that point the frog could step on the butter and hop out of the jar.

cheers
R.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
31-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Not gonna lie, has not been a great day. Good on Rev for trying to keep me from sinking totally. I feel sometimes I don't deserve him. I don't know how he manages to stay steady and calm through all this. He just takes a more practical approach than I do, I suppose. I'm like a fucking rollercoaster sometimes. I feel like I'm going to pieces at times these days. Undecided

Wanted to write tonight but then it just didn't happen. It'd probably help to ease my stress a bit, but my inner editor isn't having it. Every thought in my head that I might put to paper is critiqued and destroyed before I can even put ink to page. Sad

01-02-2017, 02:30 AM
(31-01-2017 08:50 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Not gonna lie, has not been a great day. Good on Rev for trying to keep me from sinking totally. I feel sometimes I don't deserve him. I don't know how he manages to stay steady and calm through all this. He just takes a more practical approach than I do, I suppose. I'm like a fucking rollercoaster sometimes. I feel like I'm going to pieces at times these days.

Wanted to write tonight but then it just didn't happen. It'd probably help to ease my stress a bit, but my inner editor isn't having it. Every thought in my head that I might put to paper is critiqued and destroyed before I can even put ink to page.

Hang in there EA. I know (from personal experience) the relative calm of the ups, and the depths of the downs. I'm pleased to see you're still updating us here—even if it's not necessarily the bestest of news. The main thing is to keep the channels of communication open—with everyone, and especially Rev who seems to be able to pour oil on the troubled waters. Shit, now I'm talking in clichés, sorry.

Take it easy. Heart

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-02-2017, 08:13 AM
(30-01-2017 08:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I'm not even sure where to start. I know everyone is sick to death of the election and presidency bullshit, but this has to do with it, so bear with me or skip this thread entirely if you're tired of hearing about anything to do with said "person".

So, the night of the election, something just... I dunno. I feel like something died in me. I joke at times on the forum that I lost my faith in humanity that night but it's not just a joke. I really did lose my faith in people. I feel like we're fucking screwed. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again and that's just all there is. We could do better as a species but we won't. We've proven that time and time again.

After the election and after I worked thru the initial sadness and shock of it, I sort of existed in a bit of a bubble. I pulled away from listening to news quite as much and tried to enjoy the last bit of 2016 and early bit of 2017 as best I could. I had told Rev at one point that as much as everyone wanted 2016 to go away, my fear was that what if we look back and 2016 was the good year. The last good year.

I feel that fear has been realized. Things are even worse than I'd feared. The man sitting in the White House is so much like my ex that it's a nightmare. I escaped one person like that only to have another take over the nation.

I feel completely helpless and not at all in control of my life. When my marriage was bad, I was depressed for a while, but then I did something about it, because I could strongly affect change in a relationship in my own private life. But this whole thing is so much bigger. All my representatives are shyster Republicans who could not give a shit less about secular voters. I contacted them all recently but they of course sent back the form letter responses with the bullshit about doing what is best for the country.

The world is falling apart and there's nothing I can do. I think my kids will have a worse childhood and future than me. I cry just thinking about that. I've felt many times that I should never have had kids, that I'm not a super-great mom, but now I really wish I'd never had them because when I think of their future, all I see is bleakness.

It's getting harder and harder for me to get up and go to work each day. I used to care about not making the kids late for school but anymore I just don't really care. It's not like they're getting much of an education here in Texas anyway. And work, well, I feel like the rug will be pulled out from under me somehow soon. I feel like everything is coming apart. I feel like I got my personal railcar on track just in time for a maniac to jump in the conductor's seat.

I hate feeling this way and honestly it is not 24/7 that I feel this way, but it is far more than I'd like it to be. My personal life is good. It is still okay for now, but for how long? Things are going to hell in a handbasket and I'm just trying to hold onto whatever little bit of sanity I can.

If I could feel some semblance of control over the situation, or like there was something I could do besides pissing in the wind with contacting my reps (and there's no way I'd run for any political position, I just don't have the personality), then maybe it'd be a bit better. All I know is right now, I sort of envy the deluded Christians who think that someone out there is watching all this go down and has some kind of plan (however convoluted) and that everything is going according to that plan.

I told Rev last night I was going to cryogenically freeze myself for the next 4 years but he wasn't on board with that idea. >.> Can't imagine why. Tongue

I don't even know if I want advice or if I just needed to vent or what. I'm just tired of feeling this way. I'd bury my head and ignore the news totally but then I'd just be part of the problem, part of what got us into this mess in the first place.

I have a quip for you.

When you stop worrying about others, and start worrying about yourself, you'll be all the happier for it.

Second quip about keeping your head above the water.

Once you learn the art of 'floating', it isn't that hard. You don't have to swim against the current, all you have to do is direct where the current takes you.
01-02-2017, 08:40 AM
I get how EA is feeling and although things are likely to get worse before they get better try to think positively I mean I guess the more Trump fucks up now the greater the chances people will come to their senses and vote for change in your midterms and then to remove him after four years rather than give him eight, and if he turns out not to be as bad as feared that's a bonus too.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
01-02-2017, 01:28 PM
(31-01-2017 09:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 08:19 AM)mordant Wrote:  Next up I think we need a national strike.

My husband was reading about this movement on the internet. I don't think this has ever been done in this country. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not that I've ever heard of in modern times. Here's a list of "general strikes" including in the US up to present day.
(31-01-2017 09:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I would be behind this 100% . This administration needs to really see what people think of their policies and their fucked up, clueless leader.
Turn up the heat and more people see the light.

More, maybe even most.

Not Trump. The only thing that matters to him is the appearance that he is not as wealthy or successful or victorious as all get out -- his pride needs to be wounded -- but he is apt to lash out rather than change course, all things being equal. However ... it will help cripple his agenda.
01-02-2017, 01:40 PM
(01-02-2017 08:13 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  When you stop worrying about others, and start worrying about yourself, you'll be all the happier for it.

Are you sure this is what you meant to say? Because I've heard exactly the opposite.
01-02-2017, 01:44 PM
(01-02-2017 08:13 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  When you stop worrying about others, and start worrying about yourself, you'll be all the happier for it.

I think you have that bass-ackwads.

Studies show quite the opposite.

Source: Doing Good Makes You Feel Good

As well, What We Get When We Give

Or perhaps you just wrote it incorrectly or too fast and didn't catch the error.
01-02-2017, 03:17 PM
(01-02-2017 01:40 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Are you sure this is what you meant to say? Because I've heard exactly the opposite.

I indeed meant it as it was meant to be said in the context of this thread. Dear Escaped Artist is so consumed in Trump winning the presidency and HIS behavior that it is causing her anxiety. There is not much that she can do to make Trump a better person, the only person she can make better is herself.

Being concerned with others well being is a good quality to have, being concerned with their state of being... well that is a different matter entirely that will only cause you heartache.

The only state of being one should be concerned with is themselves.

I am sorry that I did not elaborate more on what I meant, but I didn't know you fellows would take it so out of context.
01-02-2017, 03:26 PM
(01-02-2017 03:17 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 01:40 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Are you sure this is what you meant to say? Because I've heard exactly the opposite.

I indeed meant it as it was meant to be said in the context of this thread. Dear Escaped Artist is so consumed in Trump winning the presidency and HIS behavior that it is causing her anxiety. There is not much that she can do to make Trump a better person, the only person she can make better is herself.

Being concerned with others well being is a good quality to have, being concerned with their state of being... well that is a different matter entirely that will only cause you heartache.

The only state of being one should be concerned with is themselves.

I am sorry that I did not elaborate more on what I meant, but I didn't know you fellows would take it so out of context.

OK, no problem. I wasn't sure which way you meant it.