Trying to stop the theistic flow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I finally came out to my born again christian friend that I am atheist.. Now I am under attack she just told me last night that every argument Darwin has made has been proved wrong , Nova just said we all came from one female, they have made fossels and they have been dated old when they just made them, and on and on. All out dated information. So I really would like to keep her as a friend, I was thinking about pointing her to Wikipedia and saying its information is updated so she might want to check her facts against it. And then gracefully trying to agree to disagree. So far she just keeps throwing more weird arguments my way it seems never ending. She seems hurt and slightly panicked.
My husband says its pointless, has anyone delt with trying to be friends with someone who seems so freaked out by mainstream science?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 10:38 AM
RE: Trying to stop the theistic flow
(20-02-2014 10:23 AM)DeeSK Wrote:  I finally came out to my born again christian friend that I am atheist.. Now I am under attack she just told me last night that every argument Darwin has made has been proved wrong , Nova just said we all came from one female, they have made fossels and they have been dated old when they just made them, and on and on. All out dated information. So I really would like to keep her as a friend, I was thinking about pointing her to Wikipedia and saying its information is updated so she might want to check her facts against it. And then gracefully trying to agree to disagree. So far she just keeps throwing more weird arguments my way it seems never ending. She seems hurt and slightly panicked.
My husband says its pointless, has anyone delt with trying to be friends with someone who seems so freaked out by mainstream science?

Yes and eventually I simply said that I didn't want to discuss religion with them. You can point them to where the truth is, you can explain why and how evolution by natural selection is true, but like the preverbal horse being led to water, you cannot force them to believe it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-02-2014, 10:48 AM
if your friend, is only your friend when you believe her fairy tales are true, then she really isn't a friend afterall.

I agree with Mom. If you want to remain friends, then stop pushing each other to change.

Some people want to believe more than they want the truth.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-02-2014, 01:35 PM
I keep trying to change the topic, she seems like she really wants to discuss it. Guess I will just have to tell her I don't want to discuss it. Easier than telling her that so far everything she is saying is wrong. Ugh
20-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Forward her a link to: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary...ns_faq.php

So she can have a better idea of what she's arguing against.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
20-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks, from speaking with her its obvious she is repeating stuff and hasn't read it Herself, berkly website should help.
03-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Be frank. Tell her you want to be friends regardless of your differing beliefs, that you hope she will, too.
03-03-2014, 07:39 AM
If she's the one bringing it up, I would try to correct her (as gently and patiently as possible of course). Just patiently let her say her piece and after you give the friendly cliff notes version of a rebuttal start talking about something else. If she persists just keep gently telling her she's wrong by googling it or something. Like, "oh that's an interesting point. Let's see what some experts say." *google* "here ya go, read this."

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.