Trying toFollow God's Will

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2.14 Average
16-01-2013, 04:34 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 04:46 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Trying toFollow God's Will
(16-01-2013 02:22 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  OK, after reading Egor's posts on this thread (as well as others, too many others), I have to ask...

Egor, are you a poe?

OK, OK, if you are you won't admit it. But come on, you MUST be a poe. No real person can be this dense and this laughable at the same time. You're a poe, right?

Poe's Law
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

Poe's Law is an axiom suggesting that it's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between parodies of religious or other fundamentalism and its genuine proponents, since they both seem equally insane. For example, some conservatives consider noted homophobe Fred Phelps to be so over-the-top that they argue he's a "deep cover liberal" trying to discredit more mainstream homophobes.

A Poe

"Poe" as a noun has become almost as ubiquitous as Poe's Law itself. In this context, a Poe refers to either a person, post or news story that could cause Poe's Law to be invoked. In most cases, this is specifically in the sense of posts and people who are taken as legitimate, but are probably parody. Hence a typical phrase would be "it's a Poe, guys, don't be so stupid" when a link to Landover Baptist Church or ChristWire is posted. A similar use is "I hope this is a Poe" to refer to the desperate hope that humanity isn't quite as stupid as what someone has just read.

Poe's Corollary

"It is impossible for an act of Fundamentalism to be made that someone won't mistake for a parody."

The main corollary of Poe's Law refers to the opposite phenomenon, where a fundamentalist sounds so unbelievable that rational people will honestly think the fundamentalist is presenting a parody of his beliefs. Such a thing isn't entirely unprecedented — Ray Comfort now uses his "banana argument" as a comedy routine that pokes fun at intelligent design (claiming that it had always been satirical). Poe's Corollary was first submitted to the Urban Dictionary in July 2008.[6] This corollary comes into play especially when the rational person has already learned and experienced Poe's Law, predisposing them to think that any extreme view is probably parody.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-01-2013, 08:55 AM
(16-01-2013 01:55 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Assuming hell existed, that's where all the cool people would be. Is there anybody in heaven that would be enjoyable to have a beer with?
*cough*

[Image: vjp09.gif]
16-01-2013, 08:58 AM
(16-01-2013 08:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 01:55 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Assuming hell existed, that's where all the cool people would be. Is there anybody in heaven that would be enjoyable to have a beer with?
*cough*
I kinda figured you for a vodka guy, KC Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-01-2013, 09:01 AM
(16-01-2013 08:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 08:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  *cough*
I kinda figured you for a vodka guy, KC Angel
Before I stopped* drinking, I loved beer.

*stopped is relative. I keep alcohol in the house if I want a good night's sleep.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
16-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Egor has an interesting business model.

I went over there and made a few posts, then suggested that he create a library archive where members could contribute theist and atheist links to debates, books, videos, etc. A place where noobs could get their feet wet and read both sides of the argument.

He said if I subscribe ($ub$cribe, as in pay a monthly fee) I would be allowed to build, maintain, and promote the section for him.

Any takers? I turned it down, but I'm sure the offer is transferable. Big Grin

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
16-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Well, we already have a section like the here, for free. See the link in m signature. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2013, 10:44 AM
So, uh, if YOU pay HIM, you can work for him and make website enhancements to his site?

Yikes, as a software engineer working on our company's many websites, I sure hope my employer doesn't adopt Egor's business model...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
16-01-2013, 01:35 PM

(14-01-2013 01:24 PM)Julius Wrote:  I just looked into Egor's profile and background and figured out that he is Edward Gordon and has written his own Gospel - the "Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ" - which I shall henceforth refer to as the "Gospel of Ed".

That's like calling me "Eddie." You can do it, but don't expect a response. No
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 01:45 PM

At least there are unlikely to be any priests or lawyers in heaven. There is that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2013, 02:04 PM

(14-01-2013 09:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  See? I told you he was going to flip-flop again soon. Jeez, you sure are a predictable and boring person, Ed.

And yet, here you are reading my shit again. Imagine that.

(14-01-2013 11:24 AM)Impulse Wrote:  How do you expect to get much done there when you spend so much time here?

I do not know.

(14-01-2013 12:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Egor is a pretty established member here.

I had my doubts about his sincerity when we first met but that soon changed.

He doesn't hide anything. He is what he is. He is what he says he is. His facts check out.

Theologically, we don't agree, but he is the real deal.

I respect Ed. Not many people show this caliber of dedication to their cause.

Thanks KC, I feel the same way about you. And I will confirm that with me, I’m definitely WYSIWYG.

(14-01-2013 12:42 PM)kineo Wrote:  I have no respect for him anymore.

Oh, like you ever did.

Quote:I think his dedication has lead him to the edge of sanity, if not over the cliff. Not to mention that in his dedication he's flip-flopped more times than Mitt Romney.

As someone who’s authored a book on the subject of happiness, as someone who works in psychiatry, as a theologian and philosopher and as a 48-year-old man with more sins on my plate than I can ever account for on Judgment Day, let me say this one thing: and here me, because what I say is true: You aren’t alive until you’re living on the “edge” of sanity.

(14-01-2013 12:49 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I respect you. [KC] You somehow manage to hang around a forum where literally everyone disagrees with you, and yet you don't debase yourself with hate-filled ramblings and death threats. Egor cannot be bothered with basic human civility. He seems to believe that being an unlikable snob and an incorrigible jerk are the best ways to communicate. And I cannot abide anyone who threatens to kill me.

Queue in the gayest, Jewish, New York accent you can imagine and say: “That Egor, he’s always lookin to choke me.”
When in the fuck did I ever threaten to kill you?

Quote:He's not even dedicated to his cause because he changes his causes so often that I doubt that even he can keep it straight in his mind.

Ah, but now I have no choice. A forum is different. A forum is public. There are 23 members on my forum right now, I am the owner/admin, I can’t flip flop anymore. And I realized this when I penned the Articles of Faith for Veridicanism. You don’t realize how solemn that was for me to do, because I have watched them evolve for two decades now. It’s funny, I can still see myself in the apartment in Moreno Valley, California when I first thought of it. 1993. I was so young then. I was only 29…but I digress.

Now they can’t change. Now I’ve got people watching me. And the first person, besides myself, to become a chaplain will in fact harden the cement. Or the first person to donate, once I have the donate button up—once that happens, Veridicanism becomes public. Oh, and there’s something else I intend to do, that will harden the cement, but I’ll reveal that after I do it, lest some well-meaning atheist sabotages me.

(14-01-2013 12:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes, what all of you are saying is correct.

Ed has flip-flopped a lot, but, even by self admittance, it's because he didn't want to accept what he felt like he truly was. He gets confused. He gets frustrated. But ultimately, he can't run away from what he believes and keeps going back to it.

King’s Chosen…you get me.

Quote:As far as his hostility goes... this is something that has always grieved me about him. When he's not acting like a jerk, he's a really cool dude. I don't understand his method of conversing nor do I agree with it.

Funny you should say. God’s been dealing with me about this the last few days. He says I have to stop. He says I have to be just as engaging without swearing. Shit, I’ve probably sworn in this post already. But it has to stop. He says I’m compromising my authority—whatever the fuck that means. He says to use basic anatomy, not swear words. I’m going to go for a run now, and when I finish, I will have accepted His instruction.

I just can’t imagine not swearing.

As for the rest of it, you all don’t understand because you’re not fighters. I am a fighter. I’m a fighter in my 3D world, and I fight Satan every day in my spiritual world. I do not back down. I will not back down, because for me that’s a sin. I will not lay down to atheism; I will not back off Satan because I am not afraid of confrontation. I will fight him to my death on every beachhead, every street corner, and in every forum.

You all don’t understand that because you’re not fighters. If God has raised you up like me getting the spit kicked out of you at school every day of your life, you’d have grown up learning what it took me a lot of pain to learn. You never back down to a bully. You fight until you are dead, but you never back down. It’s all about honor, and life comes and goes, but we take our honor with us into the next life, and if you puss out to an atheist bully you make Christ look like a wimp.

And I won’t Censored do that.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post