Trying toFollow God's Will

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2.14 Average
14-01-2013, 03:56 AM

RE: Trying toFollow God's Will
(14-01-2013 03:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Anybody else notice this entire thing is just a massive Call to Authority?

I ride a motorcycle too, does that make my reasoning more precise or my arguments any more valid?

Has nothing to do with that. It simply counters the accusation that I'm a "boy." And why does it do that? Because people who ride motorcycles are more courageous and risk-taking than those who don't. We grab from life instead of just letting it happen to us. That shows a general attitude of faith--at least in that small way.

Quote:Certainly not, it just means I ride a motorcycle. You might logically conclude that I most likely pay motorcycle insurance and have a Class M license. But riding a motorcycle says nothing about the existence of god, nor the strength of my given arguments for the nonexistence of such entity.

But it certainly means you aren't a "boy."

Quote:And for the record, having a degree doesn't make you any more incapable of making bad arguments than somebody without a degree; it just mean you have less of an excuse when you do make a mistake.

Good point. Thumbsup
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 04:02 AM

(14-01-2013 03:36 AM)Nappa Wrote:  If the only voice you hear when you talk to god is your own, how can you possibly consider it a conversation with your god and not yourself?

We talk in thought. Yes, I translate the thoughts into language, and that voice is my own, but that is only a translation of the conversation that occurred.
14-01-2013, 04:04 AM

(14-01-2013 03:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  the average Jain is more Jesus-like than Jesus.

You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, don't you?
14-01-2013, 04:07 AM
(14-01-2013 04:04 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 03:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  the average Jain is more Jesus-like than Jesus.

[Image: 33347624.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
14-01-2013, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 04:25 AM by EvolutionKills.)
@ Egor

Apparently, you don't ride in my area.

Most of the riders here are 'weekend warrior' types on massive cruisers, or stupid college kids on crotch rockets. Most of them do not have their licenses or permits, and most of them also ride without helmets and act like complete bellends. The baby boomers on Harleys tend to ride around in groups without proper spacing, no helmets, at night, with passengers, while bar hopping. All of which is very illegal (on a permit) and extremely dangerous. The rockets tend to wear more safety gear, but it is not uncommon to see somebody on a Ninja in nothing but shorts, flip-flops, and a pair of shades.

I always ride in full gear, check my bike before I leave, and am ever mindful of the fact that I'm on a 350lb piece of metal surrounded by 2ton SUV's. I always signal before I turn, never do stupid stunts, or otherwise act like an idiot on two wheels. I've also taken, and passed with flying colors, all of the safety and sport bike riding technique classes offered in my state by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

I am more than well aware that this puts me into the minority of riders. So you'll have to forgive me if I don't immediately equate motorcycle riding with maturity, as in my experience it has mostly meant the opposite.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-01-2013, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 11:34 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(14-01-2013 04:04 AM)Egor Wrote:  

Not at all. Jains are extreme vegetarians, because their 'do not harm to other living things' includes animals and plants. More extreme Jains even refuse to eat tubers and roots, because eating these plants kills them, as opposed to eating hanging fruit.

Jains would never use a whip to drive out money lenders from the Temple, it violates their stance on non-violence.

Jains would never threaten another with eternal torture for the same reason.

This is also why they sweep the ground before them with a broom and strain all of the water they drink through cheesecloth, lest they harm an insect.

So all of the 'best' parts of Jesus, as expressed in the Sermon on the Mount. You know, all of the parts that generally get quoted and give Christians their feel-good feelings. Those are actually carried out by the average Jain far more strictly than any christian I've ever seen.

But, you know, there is a complete lack of talking to one's self and claiming it's God. That's probably a deal breaker for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahimsa_in_Jainism

Ahiṃsā in Jainism is a fundamental principle forming the cornerstone of its ethics and doctrine. The term "ahimsa" (Sanskrit: अहिंसा, Ahiṃsā) means “non-violence”, “non-injury” or absence of desire to harm any life forms. Vegetarianism and other non-violent practices and rituals of Jains flow from the principle of Ahiṃsā. According to Adian Rankin, the concept of Ahiṃsā is so much intertwined with Jainism that it conjures up images of ascetics who cover their mouths and sweep the ground before them with small brushes to avoid injuring the most minuscule forms of life and Jain-owned animal sanctuaries where even the sickest, most deformed birds and beasts are protected and cherished. These overt manifestations of an ancient faith challenge the comfortable - and near-universal - assumption of human precedence over other creatures.[1]

So yeah, when it comes to compassion for other living beings, Jains blow Christians out of the fucking water.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-01-2013, 04:30 AM
(14-01-2013 04:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 03:36 AM)Nappa Wrote:  If the only voice you hear when you talk to god is your own, how can you possibly consider it a conversation with your god and not yourself?

We talk in thought. Yes, I translate the thoughts into language, and that voice is my own, but that is only a translation of the conversation that occurred.
By your own words, god is no more than the imaginary friend of a child. For a child does the exact same thing. A small girl with a doll will speak to the doll, and she will make words in her mind for the doll to speak back.
[+] 1 user Likes Nappa's post
14-01-2013, 04:35 AM
(14-01-2013 03:08 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 11:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Wow, another theist who thinks his particular interpretation of holy scripture and personal feelings are the 'correct' interpretation, and that he's on a personal mission from God to spread his particular views in an effort to counteract other established creeds.

How original...

No. I think as the founder of the Veridican religion, if I don't do something with it, it will die with me. And what if it could bless others? What if in the end it converts you? Wouldn't that be a good thing? Consider

(14-01-2013 12:24 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Yup, just as I suspected. He wants to generate income and starting a church can be the way to do it.

Eventually, I will put up a donation button. This site does, why shouldn't I? And I donate monthly to this site. I need to pay for the server, the domain name, and if I could make enough to do it full time, then I could better serve people. Do you have a problem with that? Huh

Ah, his true motivation comes to the surface. Be gone troll.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
14-01-2013, 04:49 AM
I don't see anything wrong in asking money. If you believe the preacher and you are willing to give him money, then the joke is on you, feel free to give as much as you want.

Also, Egor is right when he says that a donate button is pretty common thing, even this forum has it, so nothing strange there.

Egor, I must congratulate you on returning to Veridicanism, again. I like that idea much more than I like you returning to Christianity, as you yourself say, something is really rotten there. I also like the idea how you described your religion and web site, a place for theists and atheists. I can't help but to wonder did this forum help in this or would you make this even if you never visited this place?

Only thing I am afraid of is that you might start attacking atheists through your religion, instead understand and accept them as Gods creatures... I could never understood your hate toward atheists, or at least your thoughts toward us, if hate is too strong word for it. Did we not receive you more normally than you expected us to?

Anyway, glad to see you still here, with us.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
14-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Another week, another attention grab. Is anyone as desperate for attention as Egor? Didn't he already cover this topic before when he was receiving visions? or was it voices ?

I am not a mental health professional but, on a very serious note, if you are experiencing instances where you are hearing another voice in your head, I suggest that you seek out assistance to make sure that everything is ok, Egor.
[+] 5 users Like devilsadvoc8's post