Turing Test Officially Passed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 08:35 AM
RE: Turing Test Officially Passed.
Here's an interview a reporter from Time had with it.

I find it incredible that an exchange like this "fooled" 33%. I think a decimal point got mislaid because I could see this fooling .33%, but not one out of 3 people.

"Clumsy" is the best adjective for what this is.

Thanks to Filox for giving the heads up and getting us to do what we should have done immediately: get corroboration from Google.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
10-06-2014, 09:55 AM
(10-06-2014 08:35 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Here's an interview a reporter from Time had with it.

I find it incredible that an exchange like this "fooled" 33%. I think a decimal point got mislaid because I could see this fooling .33%, but not one out of 3 people.

"Clumsy" is the best adjective for what this is.

Thanks to Filox for giving the heads up and getting us to do what we should have done immediately: get corroboration from Google.

Just read the transcript. What a disappointment. There really was no excuse for it to ask the same questions again. You're right about the word "Clumsy" and kudos to Filox for digging into it a little further.

It looks like just another desperate attempt to get into the papers. Honestly, these people do the field of A.I. a disservice. All this media whoring does is just make the people giving out funds for research more likely to dismiss the true potential of the field.

I'm wondering now where I heard about it being run on a supercomputer. Ah yes it's in the title of the article. The thing is, it is plausible now that with we have big data, IBM's Watson winning Jeopardy and machine translation of foreign languages that a major software project could create a system to pass the Turing Test as a 13 year old.

It shows how desperate academia is for funding in the UK.

I'm not surprised at so many news outlets getting caught up in it though. I know from first hand experience that they just steal each other's stories without any fact checking.

Saw this in the comments section. Good to see Kevin Warwick finally being recognised as a media strumpet Smile

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/201406...tter.shtml
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I´m not aware of an official Turing Test award committee.

Also, I think Turing´s test had the human interrogators able to ask any question they wished and drill for as long as they wished more or less. That´s not exactly a specification you can build a controlled test around however. You have to simplify a little to get any quantifiable data.

But while we are talking essentially about expert systems rather than generalised AI I´m dubious about any claim of a pass... dubious both about the pass itself and the implications positive or negative of the pass. To me the first true artificial intelligence will be something we grow and allow to evolve rather than design so much. It would be a new organism based on most fundamental and silicon friendly synthesis of our own neural processes. To allow such an organism to grow we would need to give it good interfaces that are relative stable in a neural sense and give it a good task to grow into. My personal idea for the selection task is... do something interesting. In other words, put it on Omegle or Chatroulette or something like that and use the amount of time it is able to entertain a human as a judgement of its fitness. Breed the fittest individuals for long enough with a solid neural model and model for breeding and I think you could end up with something that could truly be said to ¨think¨ within a few thousand generations. ie maybe 100k or a million chat sessions.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
10-06-2014, 04:37 PM
(10-06-2014 09:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The thing is, it is plausible now that with we have big data, IBM's Watson winning Jeopardy and machine translation of foreign languages that a major software project could create a system to pass the Turing Test as a 13 year old.

I'm gonna have the opportunity to play with Watson this summer as part of a cooperative agreement we have with IBM (think IBM is considering releasing it to the public domain as well). I will be curious to see how much of it is based on machine learning and pattern recognition and how much of it is based on representing and capturing deep semantic meaning.

#sigh