Turkey embarrasses the fuck out of the US.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2015, 10:23 PM
RE: Turkey embarrasses the fuck out of the US.
This whole situation is best described as...

The irony of refusing aid and assistance to refugees

[Image: Thanksgiving_The-First-Thanksgiving_cph.3g04961-E.jpeg]
while preparing to celebrate a holiday about receiving aid and assistance as refugees.

Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
22-11-2015, 10:53 PM
(21-11-2015 07:57 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The "take our jobs" rant is just another short-sighted view of how the world works. In my experience comments like these are made by people who only see themselves as employees and not future employers and jobs creators.

Undeniably many of these Syrian refugees will become small business owners, ironically employing the very ones who now cry about losing their jobs to them.

On top of this the 25,000 will become consumers thus fueling the Canadian economy.

People who bitch and moan not to let them in using this excuse are stupid.

Follow up on my post, there is solid evidence as provided below;

"As a nation of immigrants, the U.S. reaps considerable benefits from foreigners who come here to live and work. Consider some statistics from the Kauffman Foundation, which focuses on entrepreneurship:

• More than 40% of the 2010 Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants or their children;

• Between 2006 and 2012, one quarter of all technology and engineering startups had at least one immigrant founder.

• Immigrants are twice as likely as native-born Americans to become entrepreneurs;

• Immigrant entrepreneurs accounted for 28.5% of all new entrepreneurs in the U.S. last year, up from 13.3% in 1997.

Small companies, especially startups, are responsible for most, if not all, of the job growth in the U.S. To the extent that immigrants are drawn to entrepreneurship, they are a big plus.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-natio...2015-11-19

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
23-11-2015, 05:54 AM
So how can america be the home of the brave if it isn't brave enough to take refugees?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
23-11-2015, 06:15 AM
(23-11-2015 05:54 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So how can america be the home of the brave if it isn't brave enough to take refugees?

Because excuses.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
23-11-2015, 07:35 AM
I used to be just like most of you. I used to feel exactly the same way about immigration, refugees and asylum seekers. We get caught up in that self brainwashing known as secular humanism. I remember arguing with my ex wife's parents about how atheists have no love for anything because they have no god. I couldn't give them an answer about where an atheists morality came from. After reading some books by prominent atheists of the time (this was in the mid 1990's) I learned about secular humanism. For many years I had this holier- than-thou attitude. I donated money to charities, homeless people on the street, and shelters. I had money taken out of my paycheck to different organizations through the Combined Federal Campaign. I even supported illegal immigration because "they just love America and want a better place." I had brainwashed myself to believe that I had to be even more moral and ethical than the christians. I was against nationalism and used to throw around the word xenophobe like most here do. I was trying to prove to everyone that atheists are the best people on earth and they didn't need god to be that way. As I got older, I realized I was only doing those things to prove to religious nuts that I had morality, but in reality I didn't really care. I don't care about immigrants or refugees. I'll occasionally give to a homeless person but I definitely wouldn't donate money to groups or support refugees. I'm against most forms of immigration. I am a supporter of nationalism. Stop looking through the blinders of humanism and realize we need to take care of our own countries before we take care of other people.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
23-11-2015, 08:21 AM
(23-11-2015 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I used to be just like most of you. I used to feel exactly the same way about immigration, refugees and asylum seekers. We get caught up in that self brainwashing known as secular humanism. I remember arguing with my ex wife's parents about how atheists have no love for anything because they have no god. I couldn't give them an answer about where an atheists morality came from. After reading some books by prominent atheists of the time (this was in the mid 1990's) I learned about secular humanism. For many years I had this holier- than-thou attitude. I donated money to charities, homeless people on the street, and shelters. I had money taken out of my paycheck to different organizations through the Combined Federal Campaign. I even supported illegal immigration because "they just love America and want a better place." I had brainwashed myself to believe that I had to be even more moral and ethical than the christians. I was against nationalism and used to throw around the word xenophobe like most here do. I was trying to prove to everyone that atheists are the best people on earth and they didn't need god to be that way. As I got older, I realized I was only doing those things to prove to religious nuts that I had morality, but in reality I didn't really care. I don't care about immigrants or refugees. I'll occasionally give to a homeless person but I definitely wouldn't donate money to groups or support refugees. I'm against most forms of immigration. I am a supporter of nationalism. Stop looking through the blinders of humanism and realize we need to take care of our own countries before we take care of other people.

I'm an immigrant and I have guns. Scary much? Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
23-11-2015, 08:29 AM
(23-11-2015 07:35 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I used to be just like most of you. I used to feel exactly the same way about immigration, refugees and asylum seekers. We get caught up in that self brainwashing known as secular humanism. I remember arguing with my ex wife's parents about how atheists have no love for anything because they have no god. I couldn't give them an answer about where an atheists morality came from. After reading some books by prominent atheists of the time (this was in the mid 1990's) I learned about secular humanism. For many years I had this holier- than-thou attitude. I donated money to charities, homeless people on the street, and shelters. I had money taken out of my paycheck to different organizations through the Combined Federal Campaign. I even supported illegal immigration because "they just love America and want a better place." I had brainwashed myself to believe that I had to be even more moral and ethical than the christians. I was against nationalism and used to throw around the word xenophobe like most here do. I was trying to prove to everyone that atheists are the best people on earth and they didn't need god to be that way. As I got older, I realized I was only doing those things to prove to religious nuts that I had morality, but in reality I didn't really care. I don't care about immigrants or refugees. I'll occasionally give to a homeless person but I definitely wouldn't donate money to groups or support refugees. I'm against most forms of immigration. I am a supporter of nationalism. Stop looking through the blinders of humanism and realize we need to take care of our own countries before we take care of other people.

Interesting that you underwent such a drastic change.

As for me I have nothing to prove to anyone when I help those in need, I simply think of it as paying it forward. I don’t do it to be holier-than-thou and I don’t make a big deal out of it. I try to live by the motto, ‘A clear conscience is the sofest pillow’, and helping others when I can helps me achieve this.

As for your comment regarding taking care of our own first, I don’t think it is an either or proposition, we can do both. I find it incredibly ironic when I see Christians in this country mounting missionary expeditions under the guise of “helping the needy” to other countries when so many are in need here. I suspect many of those Christians are now shouting from the rooftops to keep the Syrians/Muslims out. I know my parents are. They devote three days a week at a Catholic food bank on the one hand and on the other they are adamant about keeping these people out. I believe we can both help those already here and the refugees, again not an either/or proposition.

Are you interested in history? Are you familiar with Sakoku, Japan’s edict of Closed Door? It is an interesting lesson on isolationism to keep foreign religions out. (see spoiler)

A quick synopsis: for more than 220 years (1633-1853) Japan forbade limited, if any, trade, immigration or emigration because they felt foreigners were negatively impacting their way of life, in particular they wanted to keep the Portugese and Spanish Catholics and the English Protestants out.

By the time Admital Perry forced them to open trade the Japanese were horrendously behind America and Europe in technology.

Text from the seclusion edict of 1636:
"No Japanese ship (...), nor any native of Japan, shall presume to go out of the country; whoever acts contrary to this, shall die, and the ship with the crew and goods aboard shall be sequestered until further orders. All persons who return from abroad shall be put to death. Whoever discovers a Christian priest shall have a reward of 400 to 500 sheets of silver and for every Christian in proportion. All Namban (Portuguese and Spanish) who propagate the doctrine of the Catholics, or bear this scandalous name, shall be imprisoned in the Onra, or common jail of the town. The whole race of the Portuguese with their mothers, nurses and whatever belongs to them, shall be banished to Macao. Whoever presumes to bring a letter from abroad, or to return after he hath been banished, shall die with his family; also whoever presumes to intercede for him, shall be put to death. No nobleman nor any soldier shall be suffered to purchase anything from the foreigner.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakoku

[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
23-11-2015, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 08:47 AM by Grasshopper.)
(22-11-2015 06:57 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 05:40 AM)izel Wrote:  I feel like I hate to say something now Smile. First I'd like to remind you that we are NOT at the bottom of the industrial world. You could have said that 10 years ago, today we have one of the fastest growing economy in the world. We are far from a "brink of a civil war" do we agree with everything our politicians do? Absolutely not. But civil war because we disagree with Erdoğan's policy? Get real... Do I wanna see 2 million Arab's running around my streets? Absolutely not. But neither do I wanna see this
[Image: humanity_washed_up_ashore_jpg_cf.jpg]

I don't care his nationality or religion, you can not possibly tell me seeing this image does not break your heart? Yes we too are scared of being a victim of the terror horror just like the rest of the Europe and the world. But we're not gonna live in a bubble are we now?

You are right, of course. The children are the real victims. It's sad they suffer. I can't help but think of my own children, especially my 15 month old son.

While I understand that these refugees are fleeing terrible conditions, I also don't want the risk that comes with them. It puts me in a difficult position to choose which side to take. I see the photo you posted of the dead child that washed ashore. It is truly sad. But the ISIS fuckers show no compassion when it comes to children. They've buried children alive. Crucified children in front of their parents for stupid "crimes" like failing to fast during Ramadan. Little kids just want some food and they crucify them and make their parents watch. They lock kids in cages and let them starve to death. They blow up schools. And the beheadings. Shit is sick.

So fuck them. They're never going to stop until one side is dead. So let's get it over with. Let's put massive amount of troops on the ground and take them out. I know Obama won't do it, but hopefully the next president will. And if they want to fight on American soil, so be it. I think they underestimate us. They might kill some of us but it won't be as easy as other places they've done this shit. I don't think these ISIS fuckers understand the actual firepower owned by the average American. It will only take a few attacks on American soil like what happened in Paris and you'll have 75 million rednecks in pickup trucks patrolling the streets. Probably be a mass exodus out of America by Muslims because they won't feel safe.

And that would be a sad and tragic thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
23-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Perhaps this just makes you an asshole...?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
23-11-2015, 09:45 AM
(22-11-2015 06:57 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  But the ISIS fuckers show no compassion when it comes to children.

And you are?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky