Turkish forces supported by Islamist group to invade Afrin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Turkish forces supported by Islamist group to invade Afrin
It seems that Turkey is preparing for a ground assault on the Kurdish held region of Afrin which they control since the beginning of the war. The region is home to around half a million people most of which are actually refugees who were fleeing Aleppo and other regions controlled by jihadists like Tahrir-al-Sham for the relative safety provided by the Kurdish militia. Afrin, like much of the northern region of Syria is the bread basket of the country. Since the beginning of the war, the region has seen its agricultural production augment as the drought ended and saw its industrial products increase tremendously following the siege and battle of Aleppo. In a twist, Afrin has seen its economy improved since the beginning of the war so much so that a university was built in Afrin in 2015. In other words Erdogan has ordered the shelling and is preparing the invasion of one of the rare oasis of relative peace, productivity and democracy in Syria. It would have been to nice for the conflict to end by peaceful negotiation between Kurdish and Assad forces. Instead, in opinion, Turkey will only keep the conflict alive by destabilising further the country and sustaining jihadist forces.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42706492

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2018, 03:21 PM
RE: Turkish forces supported by Islamist group to invade Afrin
This is difficult in so many ways. Turkey is our ally and so are the Kurds.

I would personally ally myself with the Kurds over Turkey.

What the US government will do is to be revealed.
18-01-2018, 03:45 PM
(18-01-2018 03:21 PM)JAH Wrote:  This is difficult in so many ways. Turkey is our ally and so are the Kurds.

I would personally ally myself with the Kurds over Turkey.

What the US government will do is to be revealed.

Given who the US government consists of these days, I'm not optimistic. I would be astonished if Trump didn't side with Erdogan.
18-01-2018, 04:17 PM
(18-01-2018 03:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Given who the US government consists of these days, I'm not optimistic. I would be astonished if Trump didn't side with Erdogan.

He doesn't have much choice in the matter. He cannot stop what has already started. The town of Afrin is already being shelled and pretty much all of Turkey troops and their allies are in position. The only thing that could prevent the assault would be if the US stopped their training program for a border protection force in north east Syria in exchange for a delay and even then I'm not sure it would do it.

18-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Erdogan and his crew are no better than Trump. No wonder, same mindset.

Remember how they called Germany a fascist state before our last elections? Guess what, now we are best friends again, because they want something again from us now. They pretend what they said never happened, and our stoopid politicians even join them in this silly play. Instead Erdogan is calling some other poor SoBs fascist now in a cheap attempt to get what the wants.

Fucking disgusting bullies. I would have no fucking problem "Ceaucesu-ing" them on the spot. Of course, first i would drag them to The Hague. Angry

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
20-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Erdogan has officially announced that the ground and air operation has begun. Russian troops stationned around Afrin, who served there as trainers for the kurdish militia, were withdrawn to avoid a direct confrontation. Assad declared that any and all Turkish airplane who would cross the frontier would be a potential target and shot down (of course, he doesn't really have the capacity to do it without Russian help). There are no casualty on either side so far.

http://www.dw.com/en/turkey-launches-off...a-42223622