Turning In My Man-Card

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 11:36 AM
RE: Turning In My Man-Card
I don't get the its sexist argument. Holding a door for someone is basic manners nothing sexist about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like FSM_scot's post
11-02-2013, 11:37 AM
And don't get me started on elevator etiquette. You wait for the elevator to empty before you PUSH your way on!!!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-02-2013, 11:39 AM
(11-02-2013 11:36 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I don't get the its sexist argument. Holding a door for someone is basic manners nothing sexist about it.
Agreed. It should just be basic manners. Yes Sadly its sorely lacking in the American population, I cannot speak for anywhere else.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-02-2013, 12:00 PM
(11-02-2013 11:34 AM)kineo Wrote:  I tore up my man card a while ago. Fuck it. I'll do as a please, whether or not it makes me more or less masculine in the eyes of others.

Besides, you don't mess with little girls- it's good that you backed down when you did, before things really got ugly. You're luck to be alive, you should send her a letter thanking her for her mercy.

(11-02-2013 11:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's true. Once when the boys were small, I was struggling with a stroller, bags and a very terse 5 year old and trying to get inside the mall. A man in his 50s (probably Chas) just walked right around (seriously he had to move around us) just as I was nearing the door.

He walked through and let the door close behind him.

I felt at that moment like running after him and asking him if he MOTHER ever taught him MANNERS.

As I looked at my little one with the noodly arms struggling to open the door (sigh).

I certainly would have appreciated an act of chivalry at that moment! And many moments since then. There's nothing more rude...and I'm sorry it's not about sex...it's about a human kindness. I've held a door open for men when I see their struggling to carry that big TV out of Sears. (I usually park by Sears because the side of mall the there's always parking available.
That's not chivalry, that is courtesy. Holding the door open for another person has nothing to do with being a man and everything to do with being polite.
Of course, you're right. I will say this tho...Old fashioned as it might be...when I see one of my girlfriends and her husband...he's very old school...I just think it's sooooo sexy when he holds the chair for her or stands when she comes into the room...Or opens the car door and closes it.

My husband can't even UNLOCK the door for me when it's pouring rain and he's got the little clicker thing right in his hand...Dude click it twice and all the doors are unlocked.

11-02-2013, 12:01 PM
(11-02-2013 12:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:34 AM)kineo Wrote:  I tore up my man card a while ago. Fuck it. I'll do as a please, whether or not it makes me more or less masculine in the eyes of others.

Besides, you don't mess with little girls- it's good that you backed down when you did, before things really got ugly. You're luck to be alive, you should send her a letter thanking her for her mercy.

That's not chivalry, that is courtesy. Holding the door open for another person has nothing to do with being a man and everything to do with being polite.
Of course, you're right. I will say this tho...Old fashioned as it might be...when I see one of my girlfriends and her husband...he's very old school...I just think it's sooooo sexy when he holds the chair for her or stands when she comes into the room...Or opens the car door and closes it.

My husband can't even UNLOCK the door for me when it's pouring rain and he's got the little clicker thing right in his hand...Dude click it twice and all the doors are unlocked.
Your friends husband have a brother? Tongue j/k. Honestly though it would be nice if more men did that.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-02-2013, 02:06 PM
(11-02-2013 11:10 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 09:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  Old, huh? Consider

Well, I want to know why you didn't slam the door in her rude and ungrateful little face. You wuss. Dodgy
A little girl?! Oh Chas...How disappointing.

It was supposed to be irony in the cause of censure. Doesn't always work. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2013, 02:09 PM
(11-02-2013 11:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 10:53 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  It's interesting you mentioned the opening door thing.

I recently heard a woman complaining about men holding doors open as sexist and how she hated it.

I must not make much of a feminist because I still enjoy these acts of chivalry, and I complain that it never happens anymore.

Point of the story. Women are weird.

(Return to your topic)
It's true. Once when the boys were small, I was struggling with a stroller, bags and a very terse 5 year old and trying to get inside the mall. A man in his 50s (probably Chas) just walked right around (seriously he had to move around us) just as I was nearing the door.

I felt at that moment like running after him and asking him if he MOTHER ever taught him MANNERS.

As I looked at my little one with the noodly arms struggling to open the door (sigh).

I certainly would have appreciated an act of chivalry at that moment! And many moments since then. There's nothing more rude...and I'm sorry it's not about sex...it's about a human kindness. I've held a door open for men when I see their struggling to carry that big TV out of Sears. (I usually park by Sears because the side of mall the there's always parking available.

No way that was me. My momma brought us up better than that. Angry

[Image: Beddoefamily1998small.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-02-2013, 02:12 PM
(11-02-2013 12:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just think it's sooooo sexy when he holds the chair for her or stands when she comes into the room.

The standing up can be rather annoying. Would make not want to stand up, as it feels like I'm drawing attention to myself and/or giving people too much trouble.

Actually, too much attention is kinda uncomfortable. Opening doors, though, is okay, as is help with one's luggage - I much rather someone else lugged it around for me and stuffed it in those high overhead compartments on planes Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
11-02-2013, 02:17 PM
(11-02-2013 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's true. Once when the boys were small, I was struggling with a stroller, bags and a very terse 5 year old and trying to get inside the mall. A man in his 50s (probably Chas) just walked right around (seriously he had to move around us) just as I was nearing the door.

Awww! What a gorgeous lady Smile

11-02-2013, 03:00 PM
(11-02-2013 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Good for your momma! And yanno, i was only teasing. Smile