Turning Point USA creates "Watchlist" website for "Liberal Professors"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Turning Point USA creates "Watchlist" website for "Liberal Professors"
(30-11-2016 06:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 10:20 PM)BryanS Wrote:  see no problem with a web site that calls out the most egregious examples of unrestrained partisanship from professors.

Except this website is merely another front for conservatives to hate liberals and call them anti-American.

Conservatives are free to hate liberals and call them names if they want. There's no law against it. I may not waste my time on such things--if it bothers you, then don't look at their site. If nobody looks, it goes away.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2016, 08:23 AM
(30-11-2016 08:18 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 06:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Except this website is merely another front for conservatives to hate liberals and call them anti-American.

Conservatives are free to hate liberals and call them names if they want. There's no law against it. I may not waste my time on such things--if it bothers you, then don't look at their site. If nobody looks, it goes away.

I'm also free to voice my opinion about it. I never said it should be banned, so the statement "conservatives are free to do x" is meaningless.
[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
30-11-2016, 08:26 AM
(30-11-2016 08:23 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 08:18 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Conservatives are free to hate liberals and call them names if they want. There's no law against it. I may not waste my time on such things--if it bothers you, then don't look at their site. If nobody looks, it goes away.

I'm also free to voice my opinion about it. I never said it should be banned, so the statement "conservatives are free to do x" is meaningless.

Fair point. Some who object to what their partisan opponents say want to call for shutting down/banning such speech, but I should not assume that of you.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
30-11-2016, 08:47 AM
(30-11-2016 08:16 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 06:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Bryan, my objection is their claim to promoting non-partisan discussion while looking to call out only liberal bias.

They can claim all they want about non-partisanship. I don't think anyone actually believes that. Still, I think what they are doing is within bounds of protected free speech.
I'm sure it's protected but so what? Dishonestly should also be called out. If their agenda is to weed out liberal bias, then they should simply say so. Why do they think they need to hide behind "non-partisan"? It certainly calls into question any hope of credibility they might have. Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-11-2016, 01:31 PM
(30-11-2016 08:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 08:16 AM)BryanS Wrote:  They can claim all they want about non-partisanship. I don't think anyone actually believes that. Still, I think what they are doing is within bounds of protected free speech.
I'm sure it's protected but so what? Dishonestly should also be called out. If their agenda is to weed out liberal bias, then they should simply say so. Why do they think they need to hide behind "non-partisan"? It certainly calls into question any hope of credibility they might have. Consider

I looked on their web site to see what they state of their mission, and according to them (in the about us section ref. http://www.professorwatchlist.org/index.php/about-us), their mission is :

"The mission of Professor Watchlist is to expose and document college professors who discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom. ".

Seems like they are being pretty open about their partisan position to me.
30-11-2016, 02:04 PM
(30-11-2016 01:31 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I looked on their web site to see what they state of their mission, and according to them (in the about us section ref. http://www.professorwatchlist.org/index.php/about-us), their mission is :

"The mission of Professor Watchlist is to expose and document college professors who discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom. ".

Seems like they are being pretty open about their partisan position to me.

Actually, that's not their website. That's their project website. Their website is http://www.tpusa.com.

If you read back this thread, you'll see I linked their mission statement in this post and referenced where they said they are non-partisan.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
01-12-2016, 11:49 AM
3 days and still no reply from Turning Point USA. So I just sent them this:

Opening statement from your mission statement:
"Turning Point USA educates students about the importance of fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government. Through non-partisan debate, dialogue, and discussion, Turning Point USA believes that every young person can be enlightened to true free market values."

From your "Contact Us" page:
"Please submit the form below and someone from our team will follow-up with you as soon as possible."

3 days ago, I submitted this, but have not received a response to date:
"I was wondering, since you claim to be non-partisan, why the watch list for liberal professors? Why not partisan professors? Or you could have two lists, one for liberal and another for conservative professors? Are you truly interested in identifying biases in college teaching or only in eliminating liberal views?"

I see you did put me on your email list though which I did not request or want. I'm simply trying to understand your position since it seems contradictory. I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
01-12-2016, 12:34 PM
(01-12-2016 11:49 AM)Impulse Wrote:  3 days and still no reply from Turning Point USA. So I just sent them this:

Opening statement from your mission statement:
"Turning Point USA educates students about the importance of fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government. Through non-partisan debate, dialogue, and discussion, Turning Point USA believes that every young person can be enlightened to true free market values."

From your "Contact Us" page:
"Please submit the form below and someone from our team will follow-up with you as soon as possible."

3 days ago, I submitted this, but have not received a response to date:
"I was wondering, since you claim to be non-partisan, why the watch list for liberal professors? Why not partisan professors? Or you could have two lists, one for liberal and another for conservative professors? Are you truly interested in identifying biases in college teaching or only in eliminating liberal views?"

I see you did put me on your email list though which I did not request or want. I'm simply trying to understand your position since it seems contradictory. I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks.

Add that you're a reporter for the BBC.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-12-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 01:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
So I figured I'd take a look over there and take an inventory of how many mooslum terrorists, darkie terrorists, darkie mooslum terrorists, and white cracker pinko pussymen and dykes were listed. So I go over to this website that's gonna educate me on which perfessors and collardges I should avoid if I want to save me serry ass ferm burning in hell for all time and the first thing I see is an alphabetical list of the professors. Sorted in alphabetical order. By first name. ... Blink Blink .... bwahahhahaaa. good one. You almost got me there. This is an Onion site isn't it? Where's the hidden camera?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post