Turning to Smoking eCigs: A Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 06:40 PM by Peanut.)
Turning to Smoking eCigs: A Discussion
I know: You hear people say they are quitting all the time, and they may do well for awhile before they slowly move back into their old habits.

But I quit for the first time when I learned I was pregnant. I was 17 and just bought a new pack the night before. I finished the pack and stopped "cold turkey." <----hate that phrase. That was July 17, 2006. (I know! I started smoking at age 12... ) I didn't smoke for 2 1/2 years until I got drunk one night and picked up again as though I never even quit Sad

The other month, I got my first cold in I don't know how long. I woke up one night, just feeling as though I was going to die. I also always get Bronchitis when I do get sick and need an inhaler. (And, a couple times, nebulizers.) I felt so paranoid. I like to say I don't fear dying, but that night, I worried that my boy would lose his mama. I promised myself I would try quitting again.

So I bought an eCig starter kit. I started using that whenever I got cravings. I would hit that like an "IV drip" instead of stepping outside for a smoke. I started to worry that it was just pointless, though, because I would still go through packs of cigs at about the same rate AND have the eCig. I simply kept trying.

I decided to not buy any cigarettes on pay day and instead "smoke" the electronic alternative. That was on November 17, 2013. (Weird because it is 7 years and 4 months to the day I originally quit. Didn't plan that at all.) In two weeks, I have smoked 5 real cigarettes. And they don't even feel as fulfilling as I once thought Big Grin

I'm aware I'm still getting nicotine, but at least it's a step closer to completely being done!

Yay! Peanut is getting her health on!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
~`
Hey, me too

Just bought this

[Image: 2qc32b8.jpg]

So far so good, I got it yesterday morning and since then had ~ 10 real cigarettes.

Good luck.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
01-12-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: I'm Quitting Smoking Real Cigarettes
I use to live in a place called the overflow shelter, a place for the homeless in the desert. I picked spot under the light so that I could spend all night drawing my Gwynnies. There came a day, like there always is, where one's faith is called to question; this time, a night, where my cough interrupted my creation.

The next day I bought two packs of Camel filters, my brand, and a bottle of Seagram's
7. And I told myself, self, there shall be no ascension beyond my Gwynnies.

Which is to say, there is truth to identity; but is it your truth? Is it your identity? Or did someone sell you a dream of eternal life with no cost to himself?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: I'm Quitting Smoking Real Cigarettes
(01-12-2013 05:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Hey, me too

Just bought this

[Image: 2qc32b8.jpg]

So far so good, I got it yesterday morning and since then had ~ 10 real cigarettes.

Good luck.

I wanted one of those! My sister has a cute purple one! I'm jealous... Drinking Beverage (I just got the non-liquid alternative.)

[Image: e-cig.jpg]

The butt of mine is blue and it's really just two pieces. The butt, which is replaceable, screws onto the stick, which gets charged on a charger. It's still not quite the same feeling as hitting a cigarette, but I think I still enjoy it because it's the strongest-hitting kind they offer. (I'm a Newport 100 smoker. I need STRONG.)

I don't believe in luck, but since it's a well-known saying, GOOD LUCK TO YOU, TOO! Thumbsup

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
01-12-2013, 06:44 PM
RE: Turning to Smoking eCigs: A Discussion
(01-12-2013 05:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I use to live in a place called the overflow shelter, a place for the homeless in the desert. I picked spot under the light so that I could spend all night drawing my Gwynnies. There came a day, like there always is, where one's faith is called to question; this time, a night, where my cough interrupted my creation.

The next day I bought two packs of Camel filters, my brand, and a bottle of Seagram's
7. And I told myself, self, there shall be no ascension beyond my Gwynnies.

Which is to say, there is truth to identity; but is it your truth? Is it your identity? Or did someone sell you a dream of eternal life with no cost to himself?

So... philosophical? Big Grin

Oh, Cantor. I'm not quite grasping your response. But what I've come up with is this:

I chose to quit for my own reasons. Nobody guilted me, but MYSELF. I didn't choose to stop smoking (or find an alternative) solely for reasons that I heard were "better" lifestyles; I simply took all the information and came to my own conclusion.

By the way, I can totally see you sitting under the moon in the dessert, drawing to your heart's content.

01-12-2013, 07:10 PM
This is what mine looks like, except the light on the end glows red whenever you inhale.
[Image: Electronic-cigarettes.jpg]
I certainly haven't quit, but it keeps me from smoking so much at work, or having to step out for a smoke when at someone else's house.
Even if it only cuts out 1 in 3, it's doing some good right? Or am I fooling myself?

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
01-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Good for you!
Also,you were 12 y/o when you started? Story please

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
01-12-2013, 07:14 PM
(01-12-2013 07:10 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  This is what mine looks like, except the light on the end glows red whenever you inhale.
[Image: Electronic-cigarettes.jpg]
I certainly haven't quit, but it keeps me from smoking so much at work, or having to step out for a smoke when at someone else's house.
Even if it only cuts out 1 in 3, it's doing some good right? Or am I fooling myself?

Mine glows red, too. I'm looking forward to the full-blown Winter here in Michigan and my not having to step outside in blizzard conditions just to smoke Yes

01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
(01-12-2013 07:13 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Good for you!
Also,you were 12 y/o when you started? Story please

I just had a crappy upbringing. I had to grow up fast and I rebelled, all that stereotypical stuff. And my mom smoked in the house with all of us kids. It was just "normal" to smoke, I guess. My whole immediate family smokes, actually and I'm the third child, so I also saw my two older siblings begin smoking early, too.

It was just easy to get them and I actually liked it when I first tried it. I coughed a bit, but overall, I took to it quite easily Confused I really wish I never started. Also, I tried smoking pot first and then drinking beer.

My son's dad has never smoked cigarettes and I don't smoke around him. I'm hoping it'll show him that smoking is NOT the norm as I saw it growing up Smile

01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Although I hate to be contradictory especially since I support anyone who is trying to break a habit, since almost all habits are in themselves bad. I just wanted to add that if I had a smoking habit, I think I would really miss watching the smoke. Nothing like watching the smoke dance in front of a street light, when the snow is falling and it's not to cold so you just sit on the porch and think.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post