Turnover at work, always unsettling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Turnover at work, always unsettling.
When you work for a small company, turnover can be devastating. Somebody quitting can mean a team losing 30% of its knowledge, and 25% of its work output.

At my last and current company, turnover always makes me feel uneasy. Almost like I'm on a slowly sinking ship and another crewmember just died. Where I am now, I've been for almost 3 years. The tech portion of my company is the only turnover I pay attention to, although the other teams have high turnover as well, I know. The tech portion is divided into 3, development (8 ppl), data (5 ppl), and IT (3 people). Each division has a C-level leader and a manager/director.

In my three years we have lost The CTO (IT), the director of IT, and the oldest IT worker. In other words, no members of the original IT team are still here today from when I joined.

We have lost the Data manager, and 3 data workers.

We have lost the original 2 senior devs, a replacement senior dev, and a jr dev.

One of my coworkers used the phrase "one deep" (meaning that expertise/knowledge is only held by one person for many things) and it's a bit unnerving. Today I learned the Data manager is leaving (mentioned above).

*sigh* I will keep on trucking and doing my best.

Can anyone relate to this?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2015, 12:25 PM
RE: Turnover at work, always unsettling.
Well, we don't quite those problems in academia. Don't get me wrong, we do have turnover in administrators, but maybe it says something that administrators can be so easily replaced...
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
12-10-2015, 12:33 PM
I was always the first rat off! Laugh out load Just think, you will soon be the go-to guy.

Seems like your company has some management problems. That is usually indicated with a high turnover rate. Mmmmm, turnovers!
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
12-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Hah I was becoming the go-to guy about a year ago, but I pushed back a bit because I don't believe work should be the center of life.

I get the management thing. I am privy to much of the goings-on at the management and C-level. Politics.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
13-10-2015, 03:21 PM
I can feel your frustration and have been there before. It's unnerving when you watch so much tacit infornation walk out the door along with efficiency and smooth operation

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Oh yea, I was the senior most worker when I worked at the gas station after like 6months. WTF even is that? The turnover was ridiculous. On the upside that meant I had to train everyone which meant shit was done properly.

But you know, gas station, not exactly a hard to learn job so it didn't matter. Hardest part was remembering the regulars names.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-10-2015, 11:56 PM
I never have worked somewhere with a high turn over, but there is this big grocery store down the road which keeps replacing the workers. There is only one person which I have seen there longer than a few months.
At this point, I think I know more about where the products are located than the workers.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
14-10-2015, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I temped at a network security company where the turnover was astronomical. Within 3 months of being there, I was the second most senior employee on the monitoring and response team, and I was a temp. Needless to say, when my temp period ended, I found other employment.

I've often heard it said that people don't leave jobs, they leave managers, and this has almost always held true in my life. If C level employees are bailing, I'd start looking at the CEO/owner and make the decision whether this is a businessperson you should be working for. You don't ever want to be the last rat on the ship as it slips beneath the sea. If this is a sinking ship, you at least need to start inflating your life raft. Start looking for other work now.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
14-10-2015, 07:03 AM
(12-10-2015 12:25 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Well, we don't quite those problems in academia. Don't get me wrong, we do have turnover in administrators, but maybe it says something that administrators can be so easily replaced...

What country do you live in? Because as a post doc it's damn near impossible to find work for in academia, yet along for anything longer than 3 years. My first post doc was one year and my second one was two years (extended to 2 1/2). I'm now applying for a job for three years (I'm currently on a 1 1/2 year contract). While all the old lecturers in my original university are still there. It's like the ladder has been pulled up at the end of the noughties.

When I'm not in academia I work in R&D in industry and I'm more than used to the idea of turnover. I actually expect it and for the company to fail and am always keeping my ear to the ground listening out for any signs of trouble. I normally see it happen before the boss does. In my last job my wage was supposed to increase by the end of my 6 month probation period but instead they started making people redundant so I didn't ask for a raise. The whole company nearly went under and the number of employees was in the single digits.