Turns out the wine was Kool aid...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 01:17 PM
RE: Turns out the wine was Kool aid...
Welcome to TTA. Blaspheme away. We need the humor (and it sounds like you do too). I echo Pablo in hopping that your sister is getting the help she needs.

As a father, I can see that your sister's abuse would have weighed very heavily on your father. Maybe he has guilt that he didn't know or that maybe he could have done something to prevent the abuse. Maybe at the time he liked the boyfriend... Maybe he feels like he let your sister down... Who knows, but clearly something bad happened in his head and he dealt with it by embracing religion. I think a good first step is for him to get some counseling to help him deal with the emotional trauma he must have suffered. This may ease his reliance on religion as way of dealing.

In the mean time, an Anjele said try to talk to your dad about things other than religion, or try to engage him in activities that are non-religious and neutral.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
30-06-2015, 03:41 PM
(30-06-2015 11:09 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(30-06-2015 08:56 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Things may settle down if no one builds a wall too high climb.
That is some rock solid advice for almost any situation.Thumbsup

Agreed!
[+] 1 user Likes sounsure's post
01-07-2015, 10:13 AM
(30-06-2015 08:24 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I can relate.

It's hard to keep quiet, isn't it? Sucks.

My dad is also a literalist - a Southern Baptist deacon. He's a mechanical engineer - I figure he views religion as a system of sorts. I suppose that's how he's able to compartmentalize his scientific knowledge that contradicts Christianity.

Nurse, my dad is a Chemical/Nuclear Engineer... and a Young-Earth Creationist. When I got my degree in biochemistry, he and my mother sent me a (terrible) book on Creationism, written by a Christian lawyer, that attempted to "put Darwin on trial". The evidences were horrible, the "logic" was based on things we *KNOW* cannot be true, in chemistry. As both a nuclear and chemical engineer, I knew he had awareness of radioisotope decay, so when he and mom (usually together; she's the one who really pushes the subject) came at me with their "don't turn away from God and worship Darwin" (quoooote) claptrap, I started trying to reason with him:

Okay dad, A) you know the laws of physical chemistry, B) if such-and-such is true, then C) this must be true, right? Okay... now if A, B, and C are true, then D) the world cannot be 6000 years old... *SNAP* You could almost audibly hear the "pop" of the fuse as his brain reset itself, he became agitated with me, and started to cite the Wholly Babble at me. Went from a perfectly reasonable discussion of nuclear chemistry to... that. Huh

I just can't understand, when you have the kind of brain capable of learning the things he knows, how it is possible to compartmentalize the knowledge to that degree. And especially how the Christian mind-virus is powerful enough to "reset" the brain any time the cognitive dissonance threatens to undo the barriers.

Or how you can treat the kid you spent so much of my young years bragging to your friends about my genius IQ score as if I am now a moron because I can't accept the obvious tripe in your Wholly Babble, let alone start quoting verses at me when you yourself paid to send me to highly-specialized Bible study courses throughout my childhood! Christians. Facepalm

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Welcome! And congratulations on the escape from prison. It never gets old hearing stories of escape. Oh the joy that floods my soul!!! Thumbsup

**Crickets** -- God