Turntables

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Turntables
So my father gave us a ton of records he had before he left his apartment, and our turntable doesn't work. Anyone know any good turntables? A lot of the music is from the 70s-80s, by the way.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: Turntables
If you can't find a good used one on ebay wait until closer to Christmas. There's usually one out there for Christmas buyers that plays 33s, 45s AND 78s. Runs a couple hundred bucks though as I recall.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
15-08-2017, 08:05 PM
They are all pretty much the same. It's good to have a quality needle. Not sure one can still buy those separately, I haven't looked at a turntable in decades.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-08-2017, 06:32 AM
A couple things -

1. Buy a Dishwasher System cleaner and use it with their fluid BEFORE you ever put a stylus to the vinyl. When you consider the actual contact surface of a stylus, with 1 gram of weight in it, the math works out to 15-20,000 psi - about the same as the firing pressure of a 357 magnum. The stylus is diamond, the disc soft vinyl. Anything that's caught in between gets forced into the surface, and causes a permanent pop in audio, that can't be removed.

2. Playing vinyl is like starting a fire by running two sticks together. While the act itself is somewhat satisfying, the end results can be had with much less effort. Rather than playing and replaying the vinyl, buy a direct to digital converting turntable - and store it in your favorite digital medium.

Enjoy!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
16-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Nothing has good sound like a turntable and good speaker system.

I remember listening to scratched up records by placing a weight on the turn table arm....not really recommended because it does further damage to the record, but man, we just had to listen to it there and then, 20 times in a row....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-08-2017, 11:15 AM
(16-08-2017 06:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Rather than playing and replaying the vinyl, buy a direct to digital converting turntable - and store it in your favorite digital medium.

Yeppers. 10/10 for this suggestion.

BTW, it's a "Discwasher" system LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
16-08-2017, 11:18 AM
(16-08-2017 06:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Nothing has good sound like a turntable and good speaker system.

I remember listening to scratched up records by placing a weight on the turn table arm....not really recommended because it does further damage to the record, but man, we just had to listen to it there and then, 20 times in a row....Tongue

Increasing the weight over 1 gram ruins vinyl.

And digital audio is far superior to vinyl in terms of accurate sound reproduction .

Good speakers are a must though.. The little dinky speakers some people think sound so good can't reproduce the sound you get with a proper balance of large to small speakers, with active crossovers.

Hell, my garage speakers have 18 inch woofers... If I crank the low end up on those the college seismology lab calls up bitching.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Folks,

Boast warning!

I have a Thorens TD160 turntable with Shure cartridge, Naim pre and power amps and Nam 402 speakers. For recording there is an Akai reel to reel.

What do I use most? A pocket MP3 player and Sennheiser headphones. Drinking Beverage

A.
[+] 4 users Like Dworkin's post
16-08-2017, 03:01 PM
(16-08-2017 11:15 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 06:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Rather than playing and replaying the vinyl, buy a direct to digital converting turntable - and store it in your favorite digital medium.

Yeppers. 10/10 for this suggestion.

BTW, it's a "Discwasher" system LOL.

Ducking spell check strikes again.....

Angry

16-08-2017, 03:02 PM
For GenesisNemesis:
What I'd do is ask around for local DJs. Generally speaking, good ones will know a lot about quality turntables. Some may even have analog to digital setups.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post