Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Twenty questions for atheists
1.Why are you atheist ?

2.How are you became atheist ?

3.Where are you from ?

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

9.What are yours hobbies ?

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 08:27 AM
RE: Twenty questions for atheists
1.Why are you atheist ?
I was born this way

I are always be atheist.

3.Where are you from ?
Belgium

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?
No, no evidence

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?
Tried it once, didn't went further than genesis because I got bored

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).
No

No

Photography, playing games, surfing the web, etc.

My goal is to have fun fun, the actual goal of all life is to have sex to spread our genes.

Yea but in a comical way.

A superiour being perhaps but no the god as described in the bible, koran or torah

That's nice

That's nice

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?
I quite like buddhism and jainism. I try to not harm any living being in a reasonable measure, I still eat meat but I won't kill an animal on purpose, it's almost impossible to not kill any animal especially when you live in a place with quite some nature, I've accidentally stepped on snails and insects, I felt bad every time. Also, when a fly is inside I catch it with my hands and release it back outside, only when there are too many flies I might dare to kill some flies but that's rare.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?
What are the questions?

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).
No

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.
Mostly I do, even though I don't have a job and am a 25 year old virgin with mild autism who still lives with his parents. I am just happy to be alive, the ability to sense my surroundings, to be alive for this brief moment in time is so amazing that even when I feel down I just have to remind myself that I can somehow control this body, I can think, I'm aware of myself and my surroundings and sometimes it's as if I see everything for the first and all I can do is laugh at how weird everything is. My fingers are like weird tentacles yo!

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.
I don't care, I'll be happy either way, as long as I can live.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
Politics is a complex form of leading system that humanity needs to have, much like ants humans just roam around aimlessly otherwise. Some people are born leaders, some are born followers, others are born outsiders, others are born geniuses.

chan chan ki sikin aman
[+] 2 users Like Crusher's post
26-05-2013, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 08:44 AM by Free Thought.)
(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  1.Why are you atheist ?

Because of the total lack of any credible evidence or convincing argument from the theistic side; the only side which has an argument I might consider almost possible would the be Deists. Even then, nope.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  2.How are you became atheist ?

One does not 'become' an atheist. Disbelief in a deity is, so it seems to be, the default for human beings. We become religious through being taught or observing religions. It could be better said "How did you return to being an atheist."

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  3.Where are you from ?

I was born in Australia, and I currently reside in the City of Onkaparinga, within Adelaide; Capitol of South Australia.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  4.How old are you ?

I am 17.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

No. I see no reason to think an after-life exists. I see no mechanisms by which it could exist and I see no reason to want an afterlife to begin with.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

No, I admit I attempted to read the King James version of the bible. I found it to be an extremely vapid book. It had no flavour, no incentive to continue reading past Genesis, and given the inaccuracies and contradictions within said book, I doubt the rest are any more worth my time.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

No, I have not read the Qu'ran. while I would like to own one, I have no intention of reading it aside from out of sheer curiosity, should I obtain one I can understand; I am not an Arabic speaker, so I would be missing out considerably on the books content.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

No, I have not. However, I intend to gain a copy of every religious text I can obtain: To have a bookshelf full of the major myths of the world is an aspiration of mine.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  9.What are yours hobbies ?

My hobbies include evening walks in the cool air, video games, reading and studying. I have particular interests in the worlds of molecular and evolutionary biology and modern history.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  10.Can you define the goal of the life ?

As far as I can tell, there is no 'goal' of life. 'Goal' would imply an intent; an implication I deny. If stressed to answer I would answer the following:
"The goal of living organisms is to successfully pass their genes onto the next generation."

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

I do not have such concerns as Hell is not a threat to any human being once they are dead. It would be impossible for it to harm us after death as our neurological networks which allow us to perceive pain will have been long shut down and degraded to the point of irreversible inoperability.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

I have had such thoughts, but after rapid examination, I come to the conclusion that such an assumption is merely fanciful and not worth my continued consideration until evidence or argument is brought fourth.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

Within reasonable bonds, I would consider myself a friend to the religious and an enemy to their religion. There are some "believers" who have earned my ire and desire for a long, slow, painful demise. People such as that, I bear only malice, for instance; Ken Ham.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

I will use this question as an opportunity to extend my previous answer.
A persons beliefs are their own, as are mine. And I care little about their beliefs, be they Deist, polytheists, monotheists or whatever, so long as they do nothing to gain my ire, I am fine with them generally.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

Not much of a religion, is it now? However, see above.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

I have little interest in philosophy, which I have dubbed "philosobull" meaning "philosophical bullshit". My one philosophical area of interest is Epistemology, the verification of knowledge, wherein I generally operate as an Evidentialist-Rationalist.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

I have no fear of death. I am fascinated by it in fact. The way the people at funerals react is especially of interest to me: People who must more than triple my age cry like children at funerals. I think to myself "surely they must have figured out death is an inevitability, not worth spilling tears over." yet sure as the sun will seem to arise with the coming tomorrow, these people never seem to realise this fact and blubber like infants.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

I am content with my life as it is. Not all of my life is as I would have it be, but these things I recognise are out of my limited power and control. I have no significant reason to be discontented without being completely irrational.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

I don't remember my dreams, if I have them at all. But, in a way, yes. I do not wish for a world without religion per se; merely one where religions did not tamper with the minds of children, the demented and those in need of aid and comfort to gain converts; where all men and women were allowed freely to choose a religion, or none, with no prosecution. Where religions are not used on a daily basis as an excuse to commit murder and other inexcusable atrocities.

(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

In a way, politics is similar to religion; most of the time I'd bet, the followers of a party follow it because their father and mother did.

If there is anything you wish to discuss, feel free to ask.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-05-2013, 08:39 AM
1.Why are you atheist ? No evidence for god, lack of logic of religious texts, the problem of evil, religious cruelty, etc.

2.How are you became atheist ? See above

3.Where are you from ? Deep South in USA

4.How old are you ? 48

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ? No, no evidence

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ? Most of King James Bible

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran). N/a

No

Playing old-time music, words with friends, reading

No

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist. No

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ? Used to, but not anymore

Most believe because of birth and culture.

Same answer as above.

Don't know

Some. No.

No.

I like it. I have a great son, friends, family, job, house.

Not really

In the US they are way too intertwined.
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
26-05-2013, 09:02 AM
1.Why are you atheist ?

Because it makes sense.

Read the bible and decided it was nonsense.

3.Where are you from ?

Munich, Germany

4.How old are you ?

Nope, consciousness resides in the brain and once the brain is dead, it's dead.

The whole damn catholic bible

nope

nope

Gardening, cooking, aquarium keeping, animal welfare

whatever you give it as goal

Nope

Nope

They can believe whatever they want

ditto

ditto, and they make a bit more sense

philosophy is interesting, I like reading other people's observations about life

No, I myself am not afraid of death. Obviously I don't like friends and family dying.

I love life. It is whatever you make of it, how you spend the minutes. In the end, the sum of minutes spent with fun things is what counts.

If people want to be religious, that's fine by me. Some find a lot of strength there. As long as children are not indoctrinated and politics are free of religion, I am fine with it.

Not really. Following celebrities has stuff in common with religion. Politics - not so much.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-05-2013, 09:34 AM
(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  1.Why are you atheist ?
Because there is no God (or gods).

Quote:2.How are you became atheist ?
Born and raised, but with a smattering of ethnic religion and some ideological wild oats thrown in.

My confirmation so to speak came after the ideological wild oats (in my twenties).

Quote:3.Where are you from ?
New York City

Quote:4.How old are you ?

Quote:5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?
No. Because there is no reason to believe it.

Quote:6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?
Several times.

King James, New English Bible, and a Jewish translation the name of which escapes me.

Quote:7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

In translation only.

Quote:8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

Quite a few. Also ancient literature generally, mostly Greek and
Roman.

Quote:9.What are yours hobbies ?
I'm here am I not? Big Grin

Quote:10.Can you define the goal of the life ?
What does this mean?

I have goals for myself, but "life in general" does not have goals.

Quote:11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.
Never.

A bloodthirsty Bronze Age tyrant in charge of the universe? Don't be silly.

Quote:12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?
Define God.

I am what is usually called a "strong atheist" but make your definition fuzzy enough (a la Spinoza) and I might be a believer.

I think I can do a pretty good job of disproving the gods that people around me actually believe in.

Quote:13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?
Most people I know. Can't generalize.

Quote:14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?
A bit silly, maybe. Still can't generalize.

Quote:15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?
Such as?

Quote:16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

I don't quite get this one.

Quote:17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

It is natural to fear death, but I don't obsess about it like some religious people.

Quote:18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

Yes, and none of your business. [Image: dw6il5.gif]

Quote:19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

Not in my lifetime or the foreseeable future.

Maybe some day.

Quote:20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

Too general a question.

What people believe will affect their politics.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
26-05-2013, 09:51 AM
1.Why are you atheist ?
When my brain uses reason, critical thinking and healthy skepticism to evaluate whether or not gods exist, atheism is the result.

I became an atheist by having the ability to evaluate claims made by other religions and rejecting those claims when no evidence for those claims exist.

3.Where are you from ?
I'm from Earth, and you ?

4.How old are you ?
The heavier elements that make up my body are quite old, but I am only 48. I am the whisper in a billion year long symphony.

It's complicated. My brain tells me that I have a brain. I'm skeptical of this Smile

I've read some parts here and there. I like my fiction to have better plot lines. I recommend "Chasing Destiny" by Eric Jerome Dickey

Not one bit, but I did hear about the part where he took a 9 yr old girl as his wife. Dude needs to be locked up.

Why would I do that ?

My hobbies include cave exploring, snow skiing, tennis, skateboarding, hiking, travel, gardening, architectural design, writing, collecting every bit of music I love on my ipod to enjoy while I drive fast on curvy roads.

The goal of my life is to live a life so engrained with happiness that, even in death I will smile, because the lives I've touched are my eternal etchings in the universe.

Sometimes I think about boobs and whip cream, but hell, no haven't given that any thought at all.
Have you given any thoughts to the second moon of Endor and if the Ewoks exist ?
Cause I heard that's what happens to all the non Star Wars fans when they die.
You better start brushing up on your Ewokian.

Which god ? and no, never, in much the same way that I don't think Trolls act as a security system for my house when I'm away.

I think they are gullible

I think they are gullible

Refer to #13 & #14

The answers I like about life usually involve science. I'm not sure how philosophy can offer any answers ?
As for why ? I prefer reality over fantasy

I died once. I got better. I have no fear of death in much the same way I have no fear of sleep.
The unconscious me was unconscious for billions of years before I was born and more than likely will be unconscious for billions of years after I die.

I love my life. Refer to my hobbies section #9. I also have a son and a grandson that I treasure. My house is my home. I have good family, good friends. I've also been lucky enough to have loved and been loved by some amazing women in my life.

I don't dream about it, but I do hope for it. My hope is that humanity will become more humane when religion is eradicated.

People in politics are real and can enact real laws that have a demonstrable effect on our society.
Religion is fantasy and milking money from people while attempting to control that source of income.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-05-2013, 10:17 AM
1.) I am an atheist because I see no reason to believe that a god exits.

2.) Watch the news, interacting with homosexuals, reading the bible.

3.)Missouri

4.) 19

5.) Which afterlife?

6.)No, but I've read enough. Drinking Beverage

7.) Never read it, but I think its just as ridiculous as the bible.

8.) No

9.) Anime, video games, cooking.

10.) There is none, you make up the one your most comfortable with.

11.) Which "hell"?

12.) Which god?

13.) For most of them, I'd prefer to keep my distance.

14.) Eh...

15.) They're ok...I guess.

16.) Honestly, I've never given it much thought.

17.) How could I? Consider

18.) Yes, because its the only one I've got so I might as well enjoy it.

19.) Not really but it sounds nice. Thumbsup

20.) In some ways you could say that, but I'm not entirely sure.
26-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I don't mind answering, but I'd really like to know the purpose of such a survey... it is a good way to find atheists, but it's a biased sample... for it to reflect real atheists on the whole, it would have to include a true random sample of the population and you'd just have to ask for religious preferences up front, then toss out or exclude answers from non-atheists.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2013, 10:34 AM
For me, it's just kind of fun to read what people think about things.

Dunno what the OP wanted it for. Kinda sounds like a school project.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post