Twenty questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-05-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Twenty questions for atheists
1.Why are you atheist ?
Same reason a Christian doesn't worship the pagan gods.
2.How are you became atheist ?
Research.
3.Where are you from ?
Texas.
4.How old are you ?
5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?
No, same reason why I don't believe in God. : P
6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?
Yes, unfortunately. King James.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).
No.
8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?
Various books written by Christian authors.
9.What are yours hobbies ?
Drawing, role-playing, gaming.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?
No.
11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.
No.
12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?
No.
13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?
I don't care, just don't be a douche.
14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?
I don't care, just don't be a douche.
15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?
I really don't care if someone believes, however when you try to whine and get more rights for you and stomp on others, then I care.
16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?
Not really.
17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).
No.
18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.
Sometimes, but I don't hate religion.
20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
I'm not sure what you mean by this one.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 12:47 PM
1.Why are you atheist ?
- How can I not be? I was born this way, dragged to a church for 13 years but eventually no one believed at all (anymore).

Birth, common sense.

3.Where are you from ?
Netherlands

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?
No, makes no sense. It was devised as a tool to keep workers happy and something to work towards.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?
Yep, Reformed and Reformed-Liberated (yeah, my great grandfather invented his own denomination)

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).
Ofcourse not, besides, most of it is the bible with a few extra chapters.

If you read the bible then you read the Torah as well.

Reading comicbooks.

Build or buy my own place and settle down with a family.

No.

No.
Well, question is too vague. The current religions, and their gods, have been disproven. They absolutely don't exist. They have all been copied from the older religions.
Doesn't mean there isn't a creator (just because no one can be absolutely certain).

They just need more time to realise what they're doing.

They still have those? Well, no different than monotheistic.

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?
Religion is the worship of a deity. So that's impossible.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?
Not really. Don't care.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).
Nope. The only reason I am not comitting suicide is because some of my relatives would be hurt deeply.

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.
No. Because I am alone in a dead end job with no prospects of improvement.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.
Yes. Because all those hands clasped in prayer can start doing something usefull. Billions of man-hours of extra productivity. Everything would be done so much faster.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
- Changing political ideas does not lead to becoming a social pariah.
- Selling out on political ideas doesn't really interest anyone.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
26-05-2013, 01:40 PM
@ALL Thanks for yours answers , and thanks for the next answers.
26-05-2013, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 02:29 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I've already answered similar questions on an academic atheist survey late last year. You can read parts one and two here:

* http://ghostexorcist.livejournal.com/15224.html
* http://ghostexorcist.livejournal.com/15375.html

I will answer the questions that don't have a direct correlation to the previous survey.

Quote:3.Where are you from ?

Midwestern United States.

Quote:4.How old are you ?

Quote:5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

No, because I've never seen any evidence for it. Also, each religion states they have an afterlife. How can all of them be true? I look at “heaven” or “paradise” as just our attempts at easing the pain of loss. What sounds more pleasing, that your loved relative/pet is frolicking in an afterlife, or that they are rotting in the ground and you’ll never see them again?

Quote:9.What are yours hobbies ?

Reading, writing, drawing, and historical research.

Quote:11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

No, because a place of postmortem punishment was created simply to keep people in check. I no more fear the existence of Gehenna than I do King Yama’s court.

Quote:12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

Not really. That’s like asking a Christian if they sometimes think Vishnu exists.

Quote:13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

That really depends on a case-by-case basis. I’ve known both pleasant and repugnant people. Monotheists can either be the nicest or the most bigoted people you will ever meet.

Quote:14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

It has been my experience that polytheists are far more accepting of people who have different beliefs than them. I generally don’t have any problems with them. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any polytheist assholes out there in the world.

Quote:15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

Again, it depends. Scientologists are rich psychos. Buddhists are very nice people.

Quote:16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

I’ve never been a big fan of philosophy. You can pretty much argue in favor of anything—like the deliciousness of a shit sandwich—if you phrase your premises right.

Quote:17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

I come from a cop family and have served in the military, so I have been exposed to death throughout my life. I of course don’t want my loved ones to die, so I guess I fear death in that respect. But having said that, I accept death as a natural part of life.

Quote:18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

I don’t like my life because I’m not a billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. However, the meager life I do have is at least worth keeping around until I finally kick the bucket. I want to spend the rest of it pursuing my education, loving my family, and achieving my goal of world domination. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

No, but I dream to live in a world were religion is marginalized. By that I mean religion has absolutely zero influence on world politics. That means doing away with theocracies.

Quote:20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

A democracy can quickly turn into a theocracy if religion is given free reign. Just imagine what the US would be like if conservative republicans had their way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2013, 02:43 PM
1.Why are you atheist ?
I have always been one. No one has presented any good evidence for deities, so I have remained one.

See #1.

3.Where are you from ?
USA

4.How old are you ?

No, because I haven't seen any reliable evidence for an afterlife.

Many times, many versions.

In English translation, yes.

Bhagavad Gita, Satanic Bible, a lot of Wiccan and occult texts, probably others I can't recall.

Reading, writing, translating, playing Silent Hill, watching Star Trek, misanthropy.

I see it as more of a journey than a destination.

No, because I see no reason to believe in places like hell.

No, because I think there would be evidence if deities existed.

I feel sorry for them sometimes, I think they are usually victims of indoctrination.

Delusional.

They need a hobby.

I think it is worthwhile to examine our reasons for doing things.

No, but I'm not in a hurry to die.

I like myself, if that counts. The thing I don't like about humanity is the tendency to be irrational.

Not really. I don't think it'll happen any time soon. It would require a lot of education and take a lot of time. You can't just force people to give up beliefs, just as an atheist can't suddenly be forced to believe in deities.

Not really. At least politics is usually somewhat based in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
26-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Are we helping the original poster complete some "research" for a dissertation or something? Smartass

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
26-05-2013, 03:56 PM
1.Why are you atheist ?

Do not believe anyone`s god claim.

Born that way.

3.Where are you from ?

Uk.

4.How old are you ?

No, no evidence for it.

yes.

yes.

Book of Mormon (A good laugh.)

Gaming, reading, history, watching baseball.

For me yes, for anyone else no.

No.

No.

Don't think about it, unless they try to convert me, then I swear a lot

Don't think about it, unless they try to convert me, then I swear a lot.

Sorry you`ve lost me. Oh you mean like Buddism ? whatever floats your boat mate.

Yes and No.

Don't fear death no, you could say I fear dying in horrible nasty ways, but not death itself no.

Yes. Because its the only one I`ve got.

No I usually dream of busty blondes. Never dream about religion, keeps me awake all night.

All depends where you are from, here in the Uk? who knows, who cares. They are all nuts.

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo
26-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I usually don't take these quiz things as I find them silly. However at the moment I'm eating a burrito and if I move from my computer chair my dog will try and relieve me of it so here we go....

1.Why are you atheist ?
I've never seen any reason or evidence whatsoever to think anything supernatural exists.

I've always been one since I can remember.

3.Where are you from ?
The Midwest.

4.How old are you ?
Early 30's.

No. I've never seen any reason or evidence to think one exists.

Yes. I have read two versions cover to cover. The first was the old Lutheran version. Also read KJV cover to cover.

No. I have read much of it though. I found it too silly to continue and after slugging through the Bible in my earlier days I have better things to do with my time.

I have read many others, too many to list. Only a few cover to cover however.

Music, woodworking, other fields of research, fishing, and cycling.

Of my life? Yes. Of other people's lives? No.

No. Again I have never seen anything to even slightly suggest that such a ridiculous concept exists.

No. Not even a little. Sorry. Big Grin

They are mostly good people, that I can get along with, but they do prescribe to an insane set of beliefs. Luckily, the human mind can compartmentalize.

The same thing as monotheistic. Same nonsense, different brand.

It depends. Even if there isn't a "God", any supernatural component is equally as ridiculous as an actual "God" figure.

Certain philosophy is interesting, although I find most of it to be very narcissistic.

I fear it for reasons of personal selfishness. I am curious about the future, and when I'm dead I won't get to see what happens. I however do not fear it in a visceral animalistic sense.

Yes. On a day to day basis I get to indulge my intellectual pursuits, I'm surrounded by other educated people are interesting and worth knowing, and I'm financially stable enough to not be subjected to the dimwitted thrashing around of society at large. I also have a family who I love and get on quite well with.

Not particularly. I dream to live in a world where humanity reaches it's full potential. There could be a place for religion in that world but it seems the religions of the world are incredibly determined to be a hindrance instead.

20.Do you think that politics is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
Politics and religion are practically the same thing psychologically. In religion people believe insane things and then ignore whatever evidence contradicts their tightly held worldview. People on both sides of the political aisle do the same thing with their political beliefs. Politics doesn't rely on the supernatural but the same thought process of ignoring evidence is at work.
26-05-2013, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 09:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
1.Why are you atheist ?
I like to sleep on Sunday mornings.
My puppy has to go everywhere I do, and I can't take him to church.
Actually I'm an "Igtheist". No one can define what the word "god" means.

I went to the atheist camp, and they tole me I was a heathen.
(I realized when I was in 2nd Grade they were just making up shit).

3.Where are you from ?
My mom and dad. Duh.
Southern California, of course. All the cool people live here. Dodgy

4.How old are you ?
20, going on 2.

Consciousness resides in the brain. Damaged brains do not work very well. Dead brains do not work at all. Humans have a very hard time accepting their mortality.

Yes. WAY too much. All of them. Weeping I have to, for class.

No. Islam is a moon-god cult. I've studied it's origins.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ns?page=25

Indian, and Buddhist things, Shinto things, Winnie the Pooh.

Surfing, classical music, tennis, working out, etc etc etc.

There is no "goal of life". Everyone has their own values, even religious people who *say* ....... bla bla bla.

Never. Read Elaine Pagels (Princeton University) "The Origins of Satan". Humans cooked up hell and satan. It's all complete bunk.

No.

Whatever floats their boat.

You mean like Jebus, the Holy Ghost and God the Father ? See #13.

See #13

I did. Now I would rather live than read about it.

No. "I was not inconvenienced in the least for billions of years before I was born, and won't be in the slightest after".

Yes. I am a very fortunate person.

No. Too busy.

I can see fat obnoxious politicians. I can't see a fat obnoxious god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2013, 11:04 PM
1.Why are you atheist ?
Because it is the only rational position one can take with respect to deities.

I was born atheist. I never believed the nonsense about gods but I did have to do some due diligence in order to affirm my suspicions.

3.Where are you from ?
I was born in Dallas, TX... raised in Tyler, TX and now reside in Shreveport, LA.

4.How old are you ?

No... because there is no evidence for such. However, if there is an after life, I have no control over it so there's no reason to speculate about it.

[/color]6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?
Yes. Don't remember the version.

Some... again, don't remember version.

Some, but I don't remember how much and which ones. I did this years ago.

Biking, fishing and working on various projects.

Happiness.

No.

No.

They have a psychological dissonance that causes them to believe in that which doesn't exist.

See 13.

I haven't.

I have a keen in interest in the application of philosophic principles in day to day life but I have no interest whatever in pontificating nonsensical questions to which having an answer changes nothing.

I don't fear being dead, though I do fear dying. I also fear riding my motorcycle in traffic... but it's something I do and I don't obsess over it.

I'm pretty happy with my life. I have a happy marriage and a supportive, loving family so there's not much that can rob me of my happiness.

I don't dream about it, I seek to make it happen. Religion is irrational and destructive to humanity and we need to move past it.

I don't think it is, I know it is. Religion and statism are the re-staging of childhood experiences of authority. Both are irrational belief systems in which moral rules are twisted and perverted to serve those in power and subjugate others.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb