Twenty questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-05-2013, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 12:18 AM by Reltzik.)
RE: Twenty questions for atheists
(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  1.Why are you atheist ?

2.How are you became atheist ?

3.Where are you from ?

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

9.What are yours hobbies ?

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

I identify as an ignostic, not an atheist. There are key technical distinctions between the two, but for me in practice it works out pretty close to me being an atheist. I'll substitute ignostic in place of atheist for your questions where appropriate.

1, 2, and 3 are related: Well, the simplest answer is inertia. I was raised in a non-believing household in a fairly liberal region of the country (SF bay area). Mom is a Jewish atheist (she's very particular about that; there's no point saying she doesn't believe if she doesn't say WHAT she doesn't believe), and Dad was Presbytarian but deconverted before my birth. Mom actually tried to raise me Jewish for a bit, but it didn't take. So from the age of 9 or so on I was identifying as an atheist. This, btw, was of the "strong atheist" variety. At the time I was using the definition of "atheist" meaning someone who believes God doesn't exist, and agnostic meaning someone who isn't sure either way. I switched to this version of agnostic when I started studying more formal math and learned just how difficult a proof of nonexistence was -- this was around 16 or so. The switch to ignostic came around, oh, 23 or so. I'd just read the closing chapter of Sagan's Contact and had hammered home just how many possible conceptions of a Creator figure could exist. That's the causal chain of why I identify as ignostic. If you were asking a different kind of "why" question there, sorry.

4: 33

5: Frankly, no, I don't believe in the afterlife. The mythology is very clear that travel to and from the underworld is possible for the living, and given how easy Cerebus is to get around I'd expect to see ghosts escaping left and right. Factor in the supposedly active agency of Hades in the world and the fact that there are very few hidden areas left in the Mediterranean region where the entrance to the underworld could be, and you'd think we'd have a metric crapton of modern accounts. But we don't. (.... that IS the afterlife you were referring to, right?)

6-9: I have not read all the Bible. I've had a few goes at American Standard translation. Typically I get lost around the begats. I haven't touched the Koran. I've had a go at the Tao-te-Ching as well, and studied various mythologies and folklores as a hobby. (Other hobbies include math, video games, and tabletop roleplaying.)

10: Since I don't think there's an objective goal... whose goal? Mine? Mostly enjoy myself, which normally means finding new ways to look at things, new puzzles to unravel, new ideas to play with, and new truths to pursue. Also, make a meaningful contribution to the world (or at least some people in it, the world as a whole might be out of my reach).

11-12: I play out the Conventional-Christianity scenarios from time to time. Like many prominent ideas, I run into it fairly often, and I make a point of reexamining my conclusions every now and then. I ponder the possibility, even entertain it as a flight of fancy. So yeah, I think it, but that's not the same thing as believing it. As an ignostic, I also spend time pondering really weird conceptions of God, that don't really fit what most people think of as God but do seem to fit the bill.

13-15: The details of the religion don't matter to me much. Mostly I care about how the people act towards others. Are they bullies, jerks, abusers, oppressors? Then I don't think good of them. Are they charitable, kind, welcoming, interesting? Then I do think good of them. Are they just day-to-day everypersons? Then I don't think about them much one way or the other. This or that religion being behind these behaviors might make them a different flavor of jerk, altruist, or meh, but it's not really my focus.

16: I don't have any great questions about capital-L Life. I've got Life, meaning the existence we're in, pretty much figured out. Not the best way to go through it or the details of how it functions or anything, but what it is. Stuff happens. We survive it or we don't. We enjoy it or we don't. Sometimes if we're sharp we can control the stuff that happens or the outcomes through our actions or reactions. Eventually this existence ends. There's not much more to it than that. Philosophy's pretty much a laugh for me, literally. I get a laugh from watching philosphers twist pure reason into results like "rocks of different weight fall at different rates", when they could just grab a bunch of rocks and drop them and see. Oh, there's a lot of philosophies I'll respect, I just don't elevate them to capital-P Philosophy. They're just views on life with some attempt at justification.

17: Dying, yes. Dying's usually a painful and undignified process. Choking on my own blood while my chest cavity's been turned into sausage by a shotgun? NOT my idea of a good time. But being dead, no. There's some things I'd like to do before I inevitably die, and some obligations I'd feel guilty (in the abstract) about not having met. And if someone else in my life died, I'd miss them. But that's about it.

18: Depends when you catch me. Most times, I admit I've got it pretty good. I'm happy. But I'm a problem solver, and I like to focus on my shortcomings because that's where there's room for improvement. I often say "I hate my life", but that means I hate my history, the mistakes I've made. The good stuff I've done, I don't remember so much. Usually it's little things that bug me, I haven't made many big mistakes. Certain habits I'm trying to overcome, that sort of thing. I'm not so much a "glass is half empty" guy as a "lemme find the pitcher so the glass can be completely full" kinda guy. Overall, I like my life.

19. No. Oh, I'll entertain the idea from time to time. But by and large, I don't have a problem with religious individuals. It's only some particular religious individuals, expressing their religions in particularly nasty ways, that I object to. See 13-15.

20. Depends on the political observer. Some people approach it in a practical way. Others approach it in an ideological manner. And there's a lot of overlap between religion and politics, at least in the US. But I wouldn't say that politics is necessarily religious. And it's certainly not equal to religion.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2013, 01:02 AM
1.Why are you atheist ?

I came to atheism by seeking truth. Truth lead me here.

I became an atheist by reading, researching, comparing notes and critically thinking and analyzing facts.

3.Where are you from ?

Western Canada

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

No, no evidence supports an afterlife.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

Yes, a few times. Catholic & King James front to back, bits of others and An Atheist Critique of The Bible version.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

No.

Tao (and the Winnie Pooh version Big Grin ), some aboriginal and some translated sanskrit for Buddhism.

Photography, Nature, Science, Outer Space, Fitness/Health, Psychology/Neurology, Music, Kids, Painting, Gardening, Dancing and freaking iPhone entertainment apps.

Like others said, there is no goal. It's great to have goals though. Thumbsup However, just living and being aware of life is a nice thing to enjoy and take advantage of, in the fullest way possible.

Never. I am certain it doesn't exist, it was only imagined from primitive minds.

No God created by man exists. I don't claim to not be open to it, it's just there is absolutely no proof I see to conclude this, just like there is no proof that invisible pink unicorns exist. They might, do you wonder if they do?

Their psychology by nurture (vs nature) has brought them to where they are. I hope all people will understand the truth one day, we would be truly free.

The same as above. Same stuff, different lay-out.

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

There is still a sense of 'woo' in non-theistic religions. 'Energy', 'forcefield', 'universal consciousness'. It's all unproven and made up stuff.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

Philosophy is like poetry. It uses the imagination and combines it with reality. The good thing is, ideas can be born here. The extra effort should be put into testing those ideas to see if something can come of it. It's interesting to say the least.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

Nope. I fear pain, but even then not so much these days. I've worked hard to understand and overcome fear. To quote my new favourite saying, "Fear is not real. Danger is real, but fear is not" (After Earth)

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

I like my life. It's not easy, I'm not perfect, and it comes with hardships, but I would not pass it up. The experience of being something that is so acutely aware of the universe and everything it holds is something to respect and cherish. I even get to experience joy, passion, love and many more great feelings and senses. I like this human experience.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

Yes, I do. I think we'd have more advances in technology, medicine, happiness, with less wars. Religion divides people and breaks down or manipulates communication and understanding. It has a horrible history of vile and inhumane actions.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

Politics is like religion in the sense it can be power hungry and irresponsible. Unlike religion, new ideas and methods can be openly explored.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
27-05-2013, 02:07 AM
(26-05-2013 07:52 AM)viocjit Wrote:  1.Why are you atheist ?

3.Where are you from ?

4.How old are you ?

1) Because I see no valid evidence which suggests the existence of any deity. What's more, I see a plethora of evidence which suggests that there aren't any deities. I suspend my belief accordingly.

2) I took a rational and objective look at my beliefs and realized that they did not match up with tangible reality. Thus, I discarded them.

3) 9th Circle. Born and raised.

4) Old enough to know what I'm doing, and young enough to do it for hours.

5) No. I understand, of course, that energy from my body continues on, but the mechanisms which create my consciousness will have been thoroughly and irreversibly dismantled upon death. Therefore, energy from my existence will continue on in the form of nutrition for plant life, or for a fire upon cremation, or as nutrition for fish (depending on where and how I die), but I, as a person, will cease to exist forever. And I won't be around to care about this, so I'm not worried about it.

6) I've read all of the Bible only once, and I've read large portions of it at various intervals later on. My particular copy was the New World Translation, but I've since gather multiple copies and translations for comparative and debate purposes.

7) Not all of it. Just enough to know how bloodthirsty it is.

8) Nope. Just those two.

9) Being awesome.

10) The goal of my life is to chase and capture my dreams.

11) I regard it as a possibility. An incredibly scarce possibility, but a possibility just the same. It is but one of a perhaps limitless supply of possibilities.

12) That too is a possibility. Just like all the others.

13) I believe they are bug-nutty.

14) I believe they're equally as bug-nutty.

15) I wonder why they bother adhering to the "religion" in the first place.

16) I view philosophy as a school of thought. Thought is wonderful, but it is only the first step. Answers do not come from thought; they come from the evidence of science. So no, I do not look to thought for answers. I look to thought for questions. I then look to science for the answers.

17) I am not afraid of death, no. I of course try to avoid it for practical purposes, but as for death itself, no, I am not worried about it.

18) Depends on the day. Some days I can't wait to see the Sun rise. Other days, I'd rather blow my brains out.

19) I want to live in a world free from irrationality. Mythologies are fine. In the proper context, they can even be rather fascinating. But when those mythologies are taken seriously; I have an issue with it. When that seriousness then leads to the construction of organized belief systems called "religion"; I take serious issue with it.

20) I have zero interest in or knowledge of politics, so my insight is inadequate to answer that question.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 02:07 AM
1.Why are you atheist ?
Because god/s are not real.

I've always been one, for the most part.

3.Where are you from ?
Oregon USA

4.How old are you ?

I don't believe in an afterlife because I don't believe there is a soul, based on the fact that science has yet to prove that there is one. Consciousness is just a product of our brain function. So when the brain stops, sadly I stop too.

Ive done some bible studies back in my short time as a First Baptist. I gave up caring about the boring mythology long ago.

See above answer.

Some greek mythology, celtic mythology.

I read, play lasertag, pool, lots of stuff

I can only define the goal of -my- life because there is no grand goal. My goal is to lead as happy and content a life as possible, and to hopefully help those I love reach the same goal.

I think more than sometimes. As for do I worry about hell? No, just like I dont worry about hades or aliens.

No. Not even sometimes.

I think they have some serious problems, and need help. To be honest.

The same thing.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I think philosophy is fun to consider, but I dont put a lot of stock in most of it.

Honestly yes. A part of me does fear death...well not so much death as not existing anymore, to know I'm going to miss SO MUCH breaks my heart. Sadly this is a part of life for everyone, and is something we all have to come to terms with.

I like my life because I am so lucky to get to experience it. It's a very rare thing that I get to do, be alive. I am surrounded by wonderful people and get to witness amazing things.

I would love to live in a world with no religion. I feel that religion is the root problem with this world and the main reason we do not progress as quickly as we could.

??
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
28-05-2013, 02:40 AM
I am tempted to post an angry and rude response. I will try not to.

I will answer question 1. I am an atheist because god does not exist. Is that clear enough.

God is a concept intended to reinforce a male dominate culture. It has no societal benefit and is only intended to prop up male and elite domination.

I would suggest that the OP not argue this point as the statistical evidence is overwhelmingly in my favor.

You can stuff the remaining 19 questions up your ass, you may enjoy it.

Sorry I did become angry in the end but really 20 questions for atheists. Is this a quiz show or something.