Twitter suspends alt-right accounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
(18-11-2016 10:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I've been watching Muffs for a year and a half, now, and I don't think I've ever seen him be deliberately cruel to anyone for the sole purpose of harming them.

*cough* *cough* .... Mr. Woof ... *cough* *cough*

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-11-2016, 11:48 AM
(18-11-2016 05:18 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Metazoa Zeke

I thought it was odd that you considered most members of the alt-right to be harmless trolls and pranksters instead of real racial supremacist, but considered genuine black and Muslim supremacist on Twitter to be genuine.

Well the alt-right are trolls, the muslim and black supremacist are not.

(18-11-2016 05:18 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Why one and not the other? Subversion of racism by minorities is well known. Absurd calls for racial war, apologies of white supremacist or black supremacy are part of Black satirical litterature and theatre according to Bernard Bell on his book on Afro-American litterature (think about the Boondocks anime or the movie Undercover Brother who both cash on this type of humor and message).

Because it depends on context. When the alt right post a pepe meme it is really to make fun of the fact that some racist groups are ridiculous. When the alt right does go into a realistic moment, most tend to do something like BLM is stupid.

Comparing the boondocks to the black supremacist isn't fair. There is a clear jokes in the boondocks. If people all of a sudden claim kill all white people was a joke(like they did kill all men) then it would be obvious it wasn't a joke until someone caught them on their bullshit.

(18-11-2016 05:18 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Where did you get you information on the Alt-Right. Personnaly, my knowledge of it comes from anti-discrimination groups and former reformed members of the Alt-Right. Is there good source of info on them, their demograpghic and their beliefs online?

I just watch them. There are a few racist here or there, but they don't make up much. Hell if anything the alt-right seems to be a bunch of conservative teens that feel left out by conservatives.

And as for sources, like everything else, take each source with a grain of salt. I ain't going to claim what is true or untrue, as experiences may vary.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
19-11-2016, 12:36 PM
@Metazoa Zeke

From what I know of the Alt-Right, your conservative teenagers who post racist memes as a joke are being actively egged on, encouraged, supported and manipulated by actual racial supremacist. The "lighter" portion of the Alt-Right, dominated by young internet trolls, is the privilege recruitment ground of racial supremacist. Amongst those trolls, they seek those who could go a bit further, and a bit furhter and a bit further... with the correct "support". Should they not be willing or capable to go further they are easy to use as a mob strike or supporter. "It's just a joke" become the new excuse for every terrible behaviors in company with "he/she was teesing me" or "he/she was an asshole anyway". A single teen can easily be convinced to post or produce racist memes and send it to a member of the targeted minority (or to other members of the Alt-Right). This alone might appear like a simple joke, a not very tastefull one, but just a joke. Repeat the process 100 times and you have an harrasment campaign. That's how, normal and a bit douchee teens (like all teens), become the favorite weapon of dangerous racial supremacists and sexists. Individually each of those hundred teens isn't really serious or really racist or sexist, but to the victim there is absolutly no difference. A few are real, it taps to pre-existing confrontation with racism and/or sexism and produce the same effect. To recruit racial supremacist or sexist, the best method is to blur the line between comedy and reality. It excite the latent anger and isolation of those in the group and informal community they have formed. The Alt-Right is to neo-nazis what fundamentalist churches with firebrand preachers are to religious extremists. Only a small minority of those attending those places and living in those community will ever actively cause problems and represent a real danger, but that's where they were recruited and brainwashed. Its also a hubb for every young racist and sexist inclined teen (and they aren't all that rare in our society) to find like minded people and enhance their prejudice by constant exposition to racism and sexism content with a few clever extremist pundit to make the mob dance to their tune. I don't think the Alt-Right should be censored completly, but they should be monitored closely for almost all far-right extremist group and terrorists have linked to it.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
19-11-2016, 01:32 PM
(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Metazoa Zeke

From what I know of the Alt-Right, your conservative teenagers who post racist memes as a joke are being actively egged on, encouraged, supported and manipulated by actual racial supremacist.

They aren't. Whether or not the alt-right existed or not it would still happen. It is about being deviant. The alt-right picks on everyone, black white, gay or straight. As I said the "head" of it all is milo.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The "lighter" portion of the Alt-Right, dominated by young internet trolls, is the privilege recruitment ground of racial supremacist. Amongst those trolls, they seek those who could go a bit further, and a bit furhter and a bit further... with the correct "support".

It really isn't a recruitment tool. It would be if there were that many racist, but seeing as the pic on things like the KKK as well, I don't think it is a great place to go.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Should they not be willing or capable to go further they are easy to use as a mob strike or supporter.

These hasn't happened.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  "It's just a joke" become the new excuse for every terrible behaviors in company with "he/she was teesing me" or "he/she was an asshole anyway".

It depends on the context.

Me telling a joke about let's say, japanese people is different from me saying something like fuck japs. It is about context.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  A single teen can easily be convinced to post or produce racist memes and send it to a member of the targeted minority (or to other members of the Alt-Right). This alone might appear like a simple joke, a not very tastefull one, but just a joke. Repeat the process 100 times and you have an harrasment campaign.

At this point there is a reason why these racist memes are posted. It is no different then how teens went to defy the christian right back in the day, because the progressive left is in that position. So anything making fun of feminist or BLM of course will be something they share. Hell anything is game with these people, even white Christians.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  That's how, normal and a bit douchee teens (like all teens), become the favorite weapon of dangerous racial supremacists and sexists.

Again, the alt-right has very little racist, they just like being mischievous. This is no different than the pepe thing. Pepe was called alt right, when it was really jokes used to make fun of various people(including racist themselves). Hell the dude who made the meme that made pepe alt-right and "racist" did it not because he was racist, but because he wanted normies to stop using him.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Individually each of those hundred teens isn't really serious or really racist or sexist, but to the victim there is absolutly no difference.

They don't even target anyone directly. They usually post it between themselves and share it with each other. Again to go back to the pepe meme, the deplorable meme was shared between edgy trump supporters and was noticed by someone who wasn't in with the joke.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The Alt-Right is to neo-nazis what fundamentalist churches with firebrand preachers are to religious extremists.

No, no it isn't. Because the alt-right makes fun of neo-nazis. Again they are just shitposters.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Only a small minority of those attending those places and living in those community will ever actively cause problems and represent a real danger, but that's where they were recruited and brainwashed.

Pepe isn't used to brain wash teens to be racist or sexist, nor or most memes used by the alt-right. Again they just like being trolls. Hell the reason they are a problem is because they piss off both sides of the isle.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Its also a hubb for every young racist and sexist inclined teen (and they aren't all that rare in our society) to find like minded people and enhance their prejudice by constant exposition to racism and sexism content with a few clever extremist pundit to make the mob dance to their tune.

At this point in time racist and sexist is used a bit much. No different then how they called all trump supporters racist, but most of them voted for obama twice or how anyone who isn't a feminist is sexist, despite only 15% of people identifying as feminist and the rest who aren't feminist, 82% believe in equality between the sexes. Racist teens are rare, and they don't take memes that seriously.

(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I don't think the Alt-Right should be censored completly, but they should be monitored closely for almost all far-right extremist group and terrorists have linked to it.

Unrelated but even though they deleted alt-right accounts, I heard neo-nazi's and the KKK got to keep theirs.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
19-11-2016, 02:11 PM
(19-11-2016 12:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Metazoa Zeke

From what I know of the Alt-Right, your conservative teenagers who post racist memes as a joke are being actively egged on, encouraged, supported and manipulated by actual racial supremacist. The "lighter" portion of the Alt-Right, dominated by young internet trolls, is the privilege recruitment ground of racial supremacist. Amongst those trolls, they seek those who could go a bit further, and a bit furhter and a bit further... with the correct "support". Should they not be willing or capable to go further they are easy to use as a mob strike or supporter. "It's just a joke" become the new excuse for every terrible behaviors in company with "he/she was teesing me" or "he/she was an asshole anyway". A single teen can easily be convinced to post or produce racist memes and send it to a member of the targeted minority (or to other members of the Alt-Right). This alone might appear like a simple joke, a not very tastefull one, but just a joke. Repeat the process 100 times and you have an harrasment campaign. That's how, normal and a bit douchee teens (like all teens), become the favorite weapon of dangerous racial supremacists and sexists. Individually each of those hundred teens isn't really serious or really racist or sexist, but to the victim there is absolutly no difference. A few are real, it taps to pre-existing confrontation with racism and/or sexism and produce the same effect. To recruit racial supremacist or sexist, the best method is to blur the line between comedy and reality. It excite the latent anger and isolation of those in the group and informal community they have formed. The Alt-Right is to neo-nazis what fundamentalist churches with firebrand preachers are to religious extremists. Only a small minority of those attending those places and living in those community will ever actively cause problems and represent a real danger, but that's where they were recruited and brainwashed. Its also a hubb for every young racist and sexist inclined teen (and they aren't all that rare in our society) to find like minded people and enhance their prejudice by constant exposition to racism and sexism content with a few clever extremist pundit to make the mob dance to their tune. I don't think the Alt-Right should be censored completly, but they should be monitored closely for almost all far-right extremist group and terrorists have linked to it.

I suppose terrorists recruit much the same way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-11-2016, 02:31 PM
This attitude of silencing and shaming that Twitter has once again stood behind, is what led election polls astray and contributed to Trump's election. People were afraid to admit their political standings in fear of ending up like this chap.

(This could be considered ideologically motivated terrorism)

I've already posted this video in another topic, but if anything, this should be taken to heart by all who support Twitter's decision to silence individuals instead of provoking debate. More eloquent and to the point than I could ever possibly be.

The end of the world only hurts those who have something to lose.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
19-11-2016, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2016 06:06 PM by epronovost.)
(19-11-2016 02:11 PM)Dom Wrote:  I suppose terrorists recruit much the same way.

My precendent post has been informed by a reformed member of a white supremacist group and that's exactly what he and others were doing. He was surfing around 4chan and reddit sections inhabited by the Alt-Right to recruit members for his group or people who would be interested in news letter. He also developped coded language to talk about and express racist things. That's why they love memes so much. They are easy to use and subvert and can transmite a simplistic message (AKA a strawman) very easily. There is also the three bracket around certain terms or the subvertion of social justice language to create strawman or disguise prejudice. Most of what normal teens learn about the world they learn it through their social media networking. They don't do much research to inform their opinion or confront them. A casual teen might have gained more information about politics, society, religion and science through memes produce by the Alt-Right and others than actual good sources of information.

Islamic terrorists do the same thing. They don't attract people by chanting Allah's name. They attract people by making themselves look like revolutionary fighting against the evil of neo-colonialism and the American Empire. They sell the image of brave rebellious souls, united in a quest against evil with god on their side. The religious fundamentalism is there to crystalise their beliefs, justify and excuse their worse actions, reward their sacrifice and provide an impervious community to the missfits they are recruiting. That's why most people who worked to prevent radicals from recruiting people say that religious fundamentalist is only a cathalist, not a first cause of extremism.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
19-11-2016, 04:36 PM
(19-11-2016 02:31 PM)Naridar Wrote:  This attitude of silencing and shaming that Twitter has once again stood behind, is what led election polls astray and contributed to Trump's election. People were afraid to admit their political standings in fear of ending up like this chap.

(This could be considered ideologically motivated terrorism)

I've already posted this video in another topic, but if anything, this should be taken to heart by all who support Twitter's decision to silence individuals instead of provoking debate. More eloquent and to the point than I could ever possibly be.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the twitter ban happened after the election. No?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
19-11-2016, 06:07 PM
(19-11-2016 08:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-11-2016 08:37 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Love taps? Heart

More like a spanking Smile

OK. Blush

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Really, Naridar?

You claim those are leftists?

Because they look like idiots.

More specifically, they look like idiots who couldn't tell you one liberal (or "leftist") policy or sociopolitical philosophy if you asked them. They're afraid of what Trump represents, and expressing that anger at one of his supporters in the way typical of idiots: violence.

I guarantee you that if you asked any of the people in that video to define the words "humanist" or "secularism", they couldn't tell you.

I never get tired of listening to conservatives moaning about how liberals are some educated elites... but whenever you see something like this, it's always the worst brain-dead morons they can find, like some 20 year old white middle class kid with dreadlocks. (What we jokingly call "trustafarians".)

But I'll admit, it's a little bit refreshing to see that there are some non-conservatives who apparently aren't averse to using violence (or threats thereof) to express their discontent with the country's direction. I'd hate to think we'd evolved (developed socially) toooo quickly, as a species.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post