Twitter suspends alt-right accounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 05:19 PM
RE: Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
(17-11-2016 05:13 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  From your own link "Fighting words are not an excuse or defense for a retaliatory assault and battery." It mentions something about lawsuits. I guess you can sue someone for hurting your feelings i.e. harrassment. But its not a crime to use hate speech. The government can't order people not to say things unless it's a threat or puts people in danger, like yelling fire in a theater when there is no fire.

But if "fighting words" are not protected by the 1st amendment what then are the legal repercussions? Taken to its logical conclcusion based on this, "Courts generally impose a requirement that the speaker intended to cause a breach of the peace or incite the hearer to violence", is someone deemed to have intended to incite violence are they not held responsible for their consequences?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Regardless of how high minded -- anytime the ability to restrict speech is vested in one person or group -- that ability to restrict will be abused.

You don't have to like the Illinois Nazi's.... But, if you really want to live in a free country --- you do have to let them march................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-11-2016, 05:22 PM
(17-11-2016 04:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The writer actually quotes supreme court decisions (burning a cross on someones lawn, which is hate speech, is still protected by the constitution) ....

Then why pray tell did the FBI show up at my High School in 1979 to arrest 3 guys who burned a cross into a black family's lawn?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-11-2016, 05:25 PM
(17-11-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 04:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The writer actually quotes supreme court decisions (burning a cross on someones lawn, which is hate speech, is still protected by the constitution) ....

Then why pray tell did the FBI show up at my High School in 1979 to arrest 3 guys who burned a cross into a black family's lawn?

I think there's a fine line between speech and action.....

Burning crosses, crosses that line...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-11-2016, 05:27 PM
(17-11-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Because the supreme court didn't rule on it until 1992?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
17-11-2016, 05:31 PM
(17-11-2016 05:13 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  From your own link "Fighting words are not an excuse or defense for a retaliatory assault and battery." It mentions something about lawsuits. I guess you can sue someone for hurting your feelings i.e. harrassment. But its not a crime to use hate speech. The government can't order people not to say things unless it's a threat or puts people in danger, like yelling fire in a theater when there is no fire.

Because of your personal background, you do see things differently from your run of the mill citizen. You likely have developed a super thick skin.

Most of us do not live in the world you live in. We don't encounter people who behave in the ways of people you encounter. Spend enough years in such situations, and your world view becomes distinctly different from the general population, it has to for you to maintain a decent emotional equilibrium.

Just keep in mind that the vast majority of people are NOT even comparable to some of the ones you get exposed to. And they would likely not make it in your world.

Be very careful projecting your experiences onto the general population. It's hard to escape from your own daily reality in a way that lets you understand the reality of others. Some of the things you have posted on this forum have shocked me - but, having spent much time around cops, I do have some understanding of where you are at.

That is not something you can expect from random people though.

I have no idea where I am going with this, but previously in this thread you talked about being a cop and lots of things started flooding my thoughts in regard to that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-11-2016, 05:32 PM
(17-11-2016 04:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 04:03 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I prefer a place where people can speak their minds ... even if it means that assholes can do that too. How else are we to figure out who they are?

The nail that sticks up gets hammered. Been that nail myself, and don't have a problem swinging a hammer either.

Problematic and emotionally charged subject for sure. I suppose if a person wants to go out in the middle of the street and denigrate others for fill in the blank the government won't take action, it is their right.

If, however, that same person walks into my home or in this case a private forum neither I or the private forum are breaking any laws when they are shown the door.

I can understand why you would want to know who these people are and I suspect they will find an outlet for their views, but you and I and in this case twitter do not have to provide them with a soapbox.

Absolutely, no argument. Twitter is firmly inside their own right to regulate their private domain as they see fit. Not sure how it'll benefit them, but they certainly need to do something, given their recent low growth. I'm not sure stultifying communication will do that, but then again, I don't own any shares.
17-11-2016, 05:33 PM
(17-11-2016 05:27 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Then why pray tell did the FBI show up at my High School in 1979 to arrest 3 guys who burned a cross into a black family's lawn?

Because the supreme court didn't rule on it until 1992?

What? That's fucking insane.

#sigh
17-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Fun fact, censorship makes you look bad. Kinda patheic if you ask me. Kinda makes you wonder why the other side can't just argue and refute them, the alt right ain't even that hard to debunk.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
17-11-2016, 06:22 PM
I understand that it's their business and they can do what they want but I disagree with what they're doing and with that whole 'do what they want its their business' premise.
I think as long as someone isn't doing or making the company do something illegal then the company shouldn't be able to restrict their service/product.

Hate speech is still freedom of speech.

This differs from say someone getting banned on xbox for cheating because cheating is illegal. Or say us banning someone because we're not a business we're a "club" and "clubs" are different to businesses, even if some are run as such.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post