Twitter suspends alt-right accounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 06:27 PM
RE: Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
At TTA we value free speech. But we do ban people who shit on the carpet. I don't see how a business is any different.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
17-11-2016, 06:56 PM
(17-11-2016 03:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good for them, and in case you're thinking of arguing for freedom of speech I got that covered below.

SAN FRANCISCO — "Twitter suspended high-profile accounts associated with the alt-right movement, the same day the social media service said it would crack down on hate speech."

"As a private company, Twitter has no obligation to provide a forum for white nationalist views and "can do what it wants," said James Grimmelmann, a law professor who studies social networks at Cornell University."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/.../93943194/

[Image: free_speech.png]

Won't be sorely missed. There are more enough cesspools on the net where they can feel welcome.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
17-11-2016, 07:20 PM
(17-11-2016 06:17 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Fun fact, censorship makes you look bad. Kinda patheic if you ask me. Kinda makes you wonder why the other side can't just argue and refute them, the alt right ain't even that hard to debunk.

Much like creationists, the sexist and racist morons of the Alt-Right have been debunked numerous times, yet, just like creationists they are unaffected by this and manage to keep, or even gained if we talk exclusively about the Alt-Right, audience, credibility and power. Access to massive amount of information, like on Internet, allow disinformation to be a very efficient tool. Refuting even completly and fundamentally an ideology isn't enough to stop it. Add to that the fact people can and will cherry pick their source of information based on their pre-existing beliefs and informations and you can understand why debunking isn't enough to stop racism and sexism. If creationism is relatively harmless and hurts only those who cling to it, its not at all the same thing for racism and sexism who do represent a danger to a society who wants to be meritocratic, democratic and just.

The question hate speech laws ask is: "Do we need or want to keep in our society people who are violently hateful and vocal toward certain subgroups on the sole basis of their belonging, perceived or real, to that said subgroup.". I don't think our society needs or benefit from neo-nazi having access to a wide audience to spew their propaganda and their hate. If they want to be racist and sexist in their private life, we will have to live with it and try to change them peacefully. If they want to scream it to the world and attempt to garner supports to create a new generation of neo-nazi, I say no thank you. Time spend to ceaselessly debunk and counter the arguments of those trolls could be much better invested in analysing concept and ideology that weren't demonstrated so clearly and easily as false.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 7 users Like epronovost's post
17-11-2016, 07:21 PM
(17-11-2016 05:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Then why pray tell did the FBI show up at my High School in 1979 to arrest 3 guys who burned a cross into a black family's lawn?

I think there's a fine line between speech and action.....

Burning crosses, crosses that line...

I think it is limited if it can be shown to be legitimately threatening to others.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
17-11-2016, 08:07 PM
(17-11-2016 07:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Much like creationists, the sexist and racist morons of the Alt-Right have been debunked numerous times, yet, just like creationists they are unaffected by this and manage to keep, or even gained if we talk exclusively about the Alt-Right, audience, credibility and power. Access to massive amount of information, like on Internet, allow disinformation to be a very efficient tool. Refuting even completly and fundamentally an ideology isn't enough to stop it. Add to that the fact people can and will cherry pick their source of information based on their pre-existing beliefs and informations and you can understand why debunking isn't enough to stop racism and sexism. If creationism is relatively harmless and hurts only those who cling to it, its not at all the same thing for racism and sexism who do represent a danger to a society who wants to be meritocratic, democratic and just.

The question hate speech laws ask is: "Do we need or want to keep in our society people who are violently hateful and vocal toward certain subgroups on the sole basis of their belonging, perceived or real, to that said subgroup.". I don't think our society needs or benefit from neo-nazi having access to a wide audience to spew their propaganda and their hate. If they want to be racist and sexist in their private life, we will have to live with it and try to change them peacefully. If they want to scream it to the world and attempt to garner supports to create a new generation of neo-nazi, I say no thank you. Time spend to ceaselessly debunk and counter the arguments of those trolls could be much better invested in analysing concept and ideology that weren't demonstrated so clearly and easily as false.

By who? Also the alt right are just internet trolls. The head of the alt right is a gay man who fucks black dudes. But kinda proven the point. To add we never censor the creationist and twitter and banning muslims calling for the death of gays or people saying kill all whites.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
17-11-2016, 08:28 PM
(17-11-2016 08:07 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  By who? Also the alt right are just internet trolls. The head of the alt right is a gay man who fucks black dudes. But kinda proven the point. To add we never censor the creationist and twitter and banning muslims calling for the death of gays or people saying kill all whites.

Didn't you heard that twitter suspended almost 250000 accounts on the basis they were supporting terrorism (AKA they were suporting radical Islam)? We crack down more often on Islamist than on nazi even if both of them advocate for the same sort of policy toward gays, trans, racial/ethnic minorities and women.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...links-isis

PS: I thought the most well respected leaders of the Alt-Right were Andrew Anglin, head of the Daily Stormer and Colin Liddell from the website AlternativeRight.com who coined the name Alt-Right. Neither of them are homosexual to my knowledge (then again them being gay wouldn't be so surprising due to the propency of homophobes to be repressed homosexual à la Ted Haggard).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
17-11-2016, 08:39 PM
(17-11-2016 08:28 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 08:07 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  By who? Also the alt right are just internet trolls. The head of the alt right is a gay man who fucks black dudes. But kinda proven the point. To add we never censor the creationist and twitter and banning muslims calling for the death of gays or people saying kill all whites.

Didn't you heard that twitter suspended almost 250000 accounts on the basis they were supporting terrorism (AKA they were suporting radical Islam)? We crack down more often on Islamist than on nazi even if both of them advocate for the same sort of policy toward gays, trans, racial/ethnic minorities and women.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...links-isis

PS: I thought the most well respected leaders of the Alt-Right were Andrew Anglin, head of the Daily Stormer and Colin Liddell from the website AlternativeRight.com who coined the name Alt-Right. Neither of them are homosexual to my knowledge (then again them being gay wouldn't be so surprising due to the propency of homophobes to be repressed homosexual à la Ted Haggard).

Stil ain't banning those muslims saying homosexuality evil amd the kill a whtes groups.

Also it's milo. Most alt righters don't even know those two.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
17-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Some people need some time in the timeout corner. Some people need to stay in the timeout corner.
17-11-2016, 09:37 PM
My take- You can say whatever you want. You don't get to say it on my doorstep, or on my property. In Twitter's case, I'd call the racist's ability to use Twitter's "equipment" to propagate racist shit null and void.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-11-2016, 09:40 PM
(17-11-2016 08:42 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  Some people need some time in the timeout corner. Some people need to stay in the timeout corner.

Some people should just crawl back in their slimy little holes and pull the rocks back over them. That's where these people belong. This presidential race has brought all kinds of slime balls out from under their rocks, and given them a voice.