Twitter suspends alt-right accounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 10:10 PM
RE: Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
(17-11-2016 07:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 06:17 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Fun fact, censorship makes you look bad. Kinda patheic if you ask me. Kinda makes you wonder why the other side can't just argue and refute them, the alt right ain't even that hard to debunk.

Much like creationists, the sexist and racist morons of the Alt-Right have been debunked numerous times, yet, just like creationists they are unaffected by this and manage to keep, or even gained if we talk exclusively about the Alt-Right, audience, credibility and power. Access to massive amount of information, like on Internet, allow disinformation to be a very efficient tool. Refuting even completly and fundamentally an ideology isn't enough to stop it. Add to that the fact people can and will cherry pick their source of information based on their pre-existing beliefs and informations and you can understand why debunking isn't enough to stop racism and sexism. If creationism is relatively harmless and hurts only those who cling to it, its not at all the same thing for racism and sexism who do represent a danger to a society who wants to be meritocratic, democratic and just.

The question hate speech laws ask is: "Do we need or want to keep in our society people who are violently hateful and vocal toward certain subgroups on the sole basis of their belonging, perceived or real, to that said subgroup.". I don't think our society needs or benefit from neo-nazi having access to a wide audience to spew their propaganda and their hate. If they want to be racist and sexist in their private life, we will have to live with it and try to change them peacefully. If they want to scream it to the world and attempt to garner supports to create a new generation of neo-nazi, I say no thank you. Time spend to ceaselessly debunk and counter the arguments of those trolls could be much better invested in analysing concept and ideology that weren't demonstrated so clearly and easily as false.

^This.

Technology and social media have become a double-edged sword. We now have pretty much all the information we used to have in libraries at the stroke of a few keys, we can stay in touch with friends and families across the world instantaneously but on the flip side people with nefarious agendas can now easily find one another such as recruiting for ISIS or for supremacists.

Imagine if you will a time before the internet and having ISIS or supremacists writing a letter to the editor in the local newspaper spewing hatred, mis-information or even actively recruiting. No legitimate newspaper would feel the need to print it or should feel that they were curtailing free speech by not publishing it. More than likely they would be reporting such activity to the local police and perhaps even to the FBI.

WANTED: Young men to join our jihad and fight against the Great Satan. Dangerous work, low pay, great heavenly rewards.

or

Feel trod upon by immigrants and jews? Come join our ranks to fight for our Arian rights. Please call 123-456-7890

Would a newspaper be limiting free speech by not publishing? I don’t think so and I could easily make the case that Twitter fits a similar social niche as a newspaper; it is private, it can publish whatever it deems appropriate and to a great extent has a social obligation not to allow hate speech to propigate.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
It's good decission I think. Such people have enough places to spew their hatefull shit. One less is victory for those who don't ascribe to such view.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I side with Twitter. Freedom of speech is not freedom to use someone else's bullhorn.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
17-11-2016, 10:59 PM
(17-11-2016 05:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
anytime the ability to restrict speech is vested in one person or group -- that ability to restrict will be abused.

@Moms,

Add this one to our watch-list.

Evil_monster

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
17-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Suddenly they've got a conscience? Rolleyes I mean, sure, private company yada yada yada...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-11-2016, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 01:29 AM by Dark Light.)
(17-11-2016 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 04:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The writer actually quotes supreme court decisions (burning a cross on someones lawn, which is hate speech, is still protected by the constitution) ....

Then why pray tell did the FBI show up at my High School in 1979 to arrest 3 guys who burned a cross into a black family's lawn?

I'm not familiar with the case, but as far as I know it's at least illegal to trespass on private property, litter it with trash, catch the trash on fire, without a burn-permit, even if it weren't the KKK (presumably) doing it in cross-shape on the lawn of a racial minority...

BUT - let's forgot all of that for a second and assume all of that is legal (it isn't). I would argue that a cross-burning of like this has the purpose if intimidation, and even signals other anti-black racists to act in violence against them.

I'd assume I can burn a cross in my own yard, just as legally as I could burn an American flag in my front-yard...assuming I got the burn permit.

Also, I'm not a lawyer, and am very ignorant of the law. I'm just using my brain with no real outside context. Makes sense to me, but I could still be wrong as fuck.

Also, also, I do think that Twitter is discriminating based on political affiliation, and I'd also say they have the right to do so as long as they aren't being funded in any way shape or form by the government, but I'd also say the baker can tell gays to fuck off if he wants.

18-11-2016, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 04:18 AM by DLJ.)
This comment has been censored by the Moderator.

Sorry. I couldn't resist Blush

Original below vvv

(17-11-2016 03:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good for them, and in case you're thinking of arguing for freedom of speech I got that covered below.
It's amazing that people like you repeatedly fail to understand that "freedom of speech" is broader than the first amendment, that it is a concept that people should strive to defend regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to do so. This forum is privately owned as well, yet we allow people to voice view points that we do not agree with or support even though the moderators could censor them at will.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
18-11-2016, 04:10 AM
(18-11-2016 03:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 03:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good for them, and in case you're thinking of arguing for freedom of speech I got that covered below.
It's amazing that people like you repeatedly fail to understand that "freedom of speech" is broader than the first amendment, that it is a concept that people should strive to defend regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to do so. This forum is privately owned as well, yet we allow people to voice view points that we do not agree with or support even though the moderators could censor them at will.

Then when more people like trump win they will keep wondering why they hell it keeps happening.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
18-11-2016, 04:26 AM
(18-11-2016 04:10 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 03:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's amazing that people like you repeatedly fail to understand that "freedom of speech" is broader than the first amendment, that it is a concept that people should strive to defend regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to do so. This forum is privately owned as well, yet we allow people to voice view points that we do not agree with or support even though the moderators could censor them at will.

Then when more people like trump win they will keep wondering why they hell it keeps happening.

Let them make a Hyper Conservative Twitter alternative (like 'Hawkish' or some other bird of prey), like those dipshits who run Conservapedia.

If Hobby Lobby can have religious preferences, then surely Twitter has a right to express it's own political preferences? Is this not just an exercise of Twitter's rights?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2016, 04:35 AM
(18-11-2016 04:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 04:10 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Then when more people like trump win they will keep wondering why they hell it keeps happening.

Let them make a Hyper Conservative Twitter alternative (like 'Hawkish' or some other bird of prey), like those dipshits who run Conservapedia.

If Hobby Lobby can have religious preferences, then surely Twitter has a right to express it's own political preferences? Is this not just an exercise of Twitter's rights?
Again: People are not saying that Twitter is doing something illegal; we acknowledge that they have the legal right to censor controversial opinions. The point is that they shouldn't be doing it because censorship on the basis of disagreement is both unproductive (i.e. it accomplishes nothing) and unethical.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]