Twitter suspends alt-right accounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 05:44 AM by Dark Light.)
RE: Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
(18-11-2016 03:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  This comment has been censored by the Moderator.

Sorry. I couldn't resist Blush

Original below vvv

(17-11-2016 03:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good for them, and in case you're thinking of arguing for freedom of speech I got that covered below.
It's amazing that people like you repeatedly fail to understand that "freedom of speech" is broader than the first amendment, that it is a concept that people should strive to defend regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to do so. This forum is privately owned as well, yet we allow people to voice view points that we do not agree with or support even though the moderators could censor them at will.

For the record, I fought the decision to ban/censor the topic that shall not be named, but was over-ruled. Also hate the forum's "safe space" development, though I have been known to offer support in those threads from time to time.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
18-11-2016, 04:48 AM
(18-11-2016 04:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 04:10 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Then when more people like trump win they will keep wondering why they hell it keeps happening.

Let them make a Hyper Conservative Twitter alternative (like 'Hawkish' or some other bird of prey), like those dipshits who run Conservapedia.

If Hobby Lobby can have religious preferences, then surely Twitter has a right to express it's own political preferences? Is this not just an exercise of Twitter's rights?

A. The Alt-right ain't conservative. It is why they are called the Alt-right

B. Glad to see twitter sees kill all white people post as just fine then. It isn't the fact they did it, it is why they are doing it and the hypocrisy in doing it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
18-11-2016, 04:57 AM
You could argue that it is discrimination against a certain group, but on the other hand it is a privately owned website, so really the administration there can do whatever the hell they want.

It doesn't really bother me in the slightest as Twitter has been on the decline anyway ever since they introduced the Trust and Safety Council and more recently the ability to block specific words, hashtags and even emojis.

Gab has been showing promise as a steadily growing, free-speech respecting social media platform in the last few months.
18-11-2016, 05:31 AM
(18-11-2016 04:48 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 04:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Let them make a Hyper Conservative Twitter alternative (like 'Hawkish' or some other bird of prey), like those dipshits who run Conservapedia.

If Hobby Lobby can have religious preferences, then surely Twitter has a right to express it's own political preferences? Is this not just an exercise of Twitter's rights?

A. The Alt-right ain't conservative. It is why they are called the Alt-right

B. Glad to see twitter sees kill all white people post as just fine then. It isn't the fact they did it, it is why they are doing it and the hypocrisy in doing it.

Is it hypocritical when a store catering to Christianity doesn't also sell vetted textbooks on evolutionary biology?

I mean, if they're trying to cater to a particular audience...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2016, 05:33 AM
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=55863

Found this on facebook.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
18-11-2016, 05:35 AM
(18-11-2016 05:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 04:48 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  A. The Alt-right ain't conservative. It is why they are called the Alt-right

Is it hypocritical when a store catering to Christianity doesn't also sell vetted textbooks on evolutionary biology?

I mean, if they're trying to cater to a particular audience...

The difference is that twitter says they want to ban hate speech. Saying you want to kill all white people is hate speech, yet those people aren't banned. If twitter was a progressive website from the get go, I wouldn't care, but it wasn't. You can ban people so you can score brownie points, but it makes you look bad.

So no your textbook analogy isn't a good one.

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
18-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Hey fuuuuuuck youuuuuu for calling that a "safe space" issue.

There's nothing of the sort, here. If you think the forum shouldn't stand up for longstanding and highly-contributing members who are being deliberately abused for the sole purpose of doing harm to them, and want to call that a safe space, then you're the one with the problem, not the rest of us.

This isn't a forum for free speech; it's a community. We happen to support the principle of free speech as a humanist value, but that's not the same thing as saying "please come do your best to tear a person apart personally, knowing that what you're doing is harmful".

Safe spaces are for people who think that hearing differing opinions is harmful. They're douchebags. And so is anyone who calls it a safe space issue whenever the community decides to disallow a valued member with PTSD to be deliberately attacked out of spite. Pretending psychological harm isn't a real thing is not the same as pretending any opinion you don't like is psychologically harmful, but it's just as ignorant and just as idiotic.

If you must sacrifice people to your principles, then they are not principles, they're ideologies.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-11-2016, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 08:52 AM by Full Circle.)
(18-11-2016 03:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 03:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good for them, and in case you're thinking of arguing for freedom of speech I got that covered below.
It's amazing that people like you repeatedly fail to understand that "freedom of speech" is broader than the first amendment, that it is a concept that people should strive to defend regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to do so. This forum is privately owned as well, yet we allow people to voice view points that we do not agree with or support even though the moderators could censor them at will.

Earlier I gave examples of pre-internet classifieds recruiting for ISIS and supremacists groups, from what you say above you would have run those in the newspaper correct? I’d like an answer.

Is it possible you are conflating legal rights with natural rights? Consider
"Legal rights are those bestowed onto a person by a given legal system (i.e., rights that can be modified, repealed, and restrained by human laws).
Natural rights are those that are not dependent on the laws or customs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable (i.e., rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws).”

If we were to follow your line of thinking that people should, “strive to defend (speech) regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to do so”, should it then not follow that we should also strive to defend all actions regardless of whether or not we are legally obligated to do so?. After all we can make a case that our actions are a form of expression just as speech is can we not? Dance is a form of expression but so is beating up a person no? Is gay-bashing not an expression of deeply held beliefs? Should we as a society “strive to defend” this freedom of expression as well?

You seem to be arguing that all speech, and here I make the case that as a corollary, all actions of expression as well, should be defended as a concept and protected without limitations and that private venues should allow these freedoms without curtailing them in any way despite any harm they may cause. To this I say bullocks. If you wish to spout hate do so on your on website, newspaper or front lawn. I believe it is my right to express my freedom of speech by saying to you (figuratively speaking) go fuck yourself and take your hatred somewhere else. You can’t support free speech and then tell me (figuratively speaking again) that on my private property I can’t voice mine in dissent, in this case by not giving you my bully pulpit.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
18-11-2016, 08:48 AM
(18-11-2016 04:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 04:10 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Then when more people like trump win they will keep wondering why they hell it keeps happening.

Let them make a Hyper Conservative Twitter alternative (like 'Hawkish' or some other bird of prey), like those dipshits who run Conservapedia.

Twitter wants that demographic off its site(I dare wisely). If you log into twitter and every day 50% of trends are alt-right memes, the people that make twitter worth hanging around will leave in droves - and shortly thereafter their followers.

So, yeah...they should just suck it up. Or start their own twitter...it's not rocket science.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
18-11-2016, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2016 05:54 AM by Dark Light.)
(18-11-2016 08:21 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Hey fuuuuuuck youuuuuu for calling that a "safe space" issue.

There's nothing of the sort, here. If you think the forum shouldn't stand up for longstanding and highly-contributing members who are being deliberately abused for the sole purpose of doing harm to them, and want to call that a safe space, then you're the one with the problem, not the rest of us.

This isn't a forum for free speech; it's a community. We happen to support the principle of free speech as a humanist value, but that's not the same thing as saying "please come do your best to tear a person apart personally, knowing that what you're doing is harmful".

Safe spaces are for people who think that hearing differing opinions is harmful. They're douchebags. And so is anyone who calls it a safe space issue whenever the community decides to disallow a valued member with PTSD to be deliberately attacked out of spite. Pretending psychological harm isn't a real thing is not the same as pretending any opinion you don't like is psychologically harmful, but it's just as ignorant and just as idiotic.

If you must sacrifice people to your principles, then they are not principles, they're ideologies.

Predictable reactionary emotional name-calling, and strawman/appeals to emotion is really starting to make me empathize with your position. Please, tell me more. I happen to have PTSD. I know what psychological harm is. You know what happens when I feel "triggered". I leave. I get the fuck out of there. Sometimes, I can't leave. Sometimes there is no escape, but I still deal with it the best I can. I'm an adult, and I know that it's unreasonable to expect the world to coddle me. That doesn't mean I can't lend an ear or give advice, or hug someone in pain. Just because I don't advocate for a nerf-world doesn't mean I want to harm anyone.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post