Twitter suspends alt-right accounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: Twitter suspends alt-right accounts
(18-11-2016 02:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hmmm, what if they did it to out Trump?

If he wants them put back, that will tell the world something. Will he tweet about how unfair it is?

Trump can't do anything, not like trump cares anyway.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2016, 03:04 PM
(18-11-2016 02:53 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I agree, that is why I refute their claims. And do it over, and over and over. Refuting claims tends to kill ideologies or at least put them on their death bed. Just ask the creationist.

Are you being sardonic? 'Cause given the amount of creationists out there I'd say your efforts are quixotic.

(18-11-2016 02:53 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 02:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Its very foundations are built on hate and spite and resentment and greed and egotism and fuck them what's in it for me.

So is calling for the death of white people. Is there something in it for that?

I miss your point. Both attitudes are detestable.

#sigh
18-11-2016, 03:11 PM
(18-11-2016 02:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 02:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hmmm, what if they did it to out Trump?

If he wants them put back, that will tell the world something. Will he tweet about how unfair it is?

Trump can't do anything, not like trump cares anyway.

He's trying to make the white house as alt right as he can. Watch and see. Those who don't tow the line will get fired and replaced. Just wait and see.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-11-2016, 03:24 PM
(18-11-2016 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Are you being sardonic? 'Cause given the amount of creationists out there I'd say your efforts are quixotic.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...onism.html

Big Grin

(18-11-2016 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I miss your point. Both attitudes are detestable.

My point is that banning one that is supposedly racist( in reality the vast majority of the alt-right ain't racist, they just like telling things in offensive ways) while letting another group of racist stay even though they are spouting hate speech.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
18-11-2016, 03:35 PM
(18-11-2016 02:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 02:16 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  In a country that is 60% white, how does having racism towards whites help with the advertiser friendly image?

I'm guessing that Twitter is far more interested in a much wider global advertising base than a small percentage of white people (and at least one black man in NJ) in the US who consider it "racism towards whites". They're likely more concerned with considering and catering to the views of the rest of the world. As they should be.

Yep. My thoughts. A business decision. Twitter may have made a connection that alt-right's comfort on their platform was inversely proportional to their bottom line.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
18-11-2016, 03:57 PM
@Metazoa Zeke

Out of pure curiosity, I did noticed you seem to have some experience of the inner workings of the Alt-Right (at its showcase level). Do you frequently hang around professed trolls and alt-right members or on their most popular message boards?

PS: No, I don't think you are a neo-nazi or member of the alt-right. I actualy think you are rather nice and probably too smart (and not angry and powerless enough) to fall for their tricks. I do think you have been exposed to a portion of their propaganda and arguments ad that some of their members might have tried to recruit you (in a subtile fashion).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
18-11-2016, 04:01 PM
(18-11-2016 03:57 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Metazoa Zeke

Out of pure curiosity, I did noticed you seem to have some experience of the inner workings of the Alt-Right (at its showcase level). Do you frequently hang around professed trolls and alt-right members or on their most popular message boards?

PS: No, I don't think you are a neo-nazi or member of the alt-right. I actualy think you are rather nice and probably too smart (and not angry and powerless enough) to fall for their tricks. I do think you have been exposed to a portion of their propaganda and arguments ad that some of their members might have tried to recruit you (in a subtile fashion).

I dunno, he just likes to argue. A while back it looked like he hung around a misogynist crowd. Erm, maybe the same thing?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-11-2016, 04:02 PM

Nope, but I do want to make sure that I have a clear picture of how people are. This is so that when they are wrong, I can point what they said out without them being able to fight back. But I am a bit of an imp Tongue

18-11-2016, 04:14 PM
(18-11-2016 09:59 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 09:30 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I have a decidedly civil libertarian leaning when it comes to these things. I believe any individual or non-governmental corporation can support or deny service to any group they want. And I believe that people should be allowed to voice their thoughts and opinions even if they are stupid. But Twitter is under no obligation to provide a platform for everyone. I think they probably should, but I also believe their right not to trumps my opinion on the matter.

However, in practicality there must be some natural limit to civil liberties. Otherwise, allowing unfettered mean and hateful speech could result in a society descending into anarchy. A government's most basic function, if nothing else, is to maintain some element of civil order and protection for its people. Therefore, speaking from a pragmatic standpoint, laws must be provided to protect citizens from those words that could result in mass chaos. Criminalizing verbal threats is obvious and easy. Hate speech is difficult because it is such a gray area. The degree of the offense taken and the risk hate speech poses to society and human safety varies by group, community, and easily exacerbated by external circumstances. Making laws to protect or limit free speech should be avoided if at all possible.

Given the current political and social climate, legislators would be wise to stay out of it until the point where the risk of unfettered civil unrest threatens the stability of the country. Furthermore, individuals and corporations would be wise to self-regulate speech just because we need to learn to be nice to each other. Personally, if I ran Twitter a decade ago, I might have allowed just about anything to be said as long as it was not breaking any laws. But in today's environment, I would not provide a platform for any voice that encourages hate or violence just because of the potential risk to our way of life. I know that sounds hypocritical or wishy-washy, but I think it is one of those instances where even civil libertarians should step back and apply some common-sense.

I don't know what you are talking about; are you talking about the Twitter thing? What law? The cross-burning thing? I'm legitimately unsure if we are talking about private entities, laws, or what? I don't know of any law proposal that has been brought up here...

Look, man, I've got certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, blaming me, you know, given the nature of all this new shit, you know, I... this could be a lot more, uh, complex, I mean, it's not just, it might not be just such a simple... you know?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
18-11-2016, 04:24 PM
(18-11-2016 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  

I dunno, he just likes to argue. A while back it looked like he hung around a misogynist crowd. Erm, maybe the same thing?

Me misogynist? Nah, I think both men and women are equally disgustingTongue.

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post