Two Epistemologies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 02:37 PM
RE: Two Epistemologies
(18-02-2015 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 11:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There is some evidence in the Bible, sure. There is also evidence for God in the natural world. After all, many people never exposed to the Bible are theists.

Please present said evidence for evaluation.

Said evidence?! Where did Christian or Jewish explorers ever first set foot and discover an atheist culture? Are you joking, because this one isn't funny. Many people never exposed to the Bible are pagans or animists or spiritists or Hindi or Muslims, but they're not atheists in droves.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2015, 05:21 PM
(19-02-2015 02:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  Please present said evidence for evaluation.

Said evidence?! Where did Christian or Jewish explorers ever first set foot and discover an atheist culture? Are you joking, because this one isn't funny. Many people never exposed to the Bible are pagans or animists or spiritists or Hindi or Muslims, but they're not atheists in droves.

I can safely say Chas was not joking. And a predominance of theistic cultures throughout human history is not evidence. It's correlation. Considering that modern humans have existed for 200,000 years, science is a fairly recent discipline. Until we understood how the universe operates on a basic level, we had no choice but to rely on tradition and storytelling. And I would argue that there are anthropological and psychological factors as well. It is flawed logic to say, "Look how many people throughout history have believed in God. He/she must have been revealing himself/herself all this time."

Chas was requesting that you demonstrate the evidence for God in the Bible and in the natural world.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dahlia's post
20-02-2015, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2015 05:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-02-2015 02:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Said evidence?! Where did Christian or Jewish explorers ever first set foot and discover an atheist culture?

The Pirahã in the Amazon. The Huns. The Veddahs of Ceylon. Various pygmy tribes in Africa. et al.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-02-2015, 05:58 PM
(20-02-2015 05:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 02:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Said evidence?! Where did Christian or Jewish explorers ever first set foot and discover an atheist culture?

The Pirahã in the Amazon. The Huns. The Veddahs of Ceylon. Various pygmy tribes in Africa. et al.

New knowledge! Thanks, GM Cool
20-02-2015, 06:53 PM
(19-02-2015 02:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  Please present said evidence for evaluation.

You slimy, disingenuous twat - answer the fucking question. Present the evidence from the Bible and the evidence from the natural world.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-02-2015, 12:16 PM
(20-02-2015 06:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 02:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Said evidence?! Where did Christian or Jewish explorers ever first set foot and discover an atheist culture? Are you joking, because this one isn't funny. Many people never exposed to the Bible are pagans or animists or spiritists or Hindi or Muslims, but they're not atheists in droves.

You slimy, disingenuous twat - answer the fucking question. Present the evidence from the Bible and the evidence from the natural world.

And while you're at it, please answer my question from page 1. What sort of evidence would allow self-correction of your core premise of knowing Jesus and that he's kind or however you phrased it.
22-02-2015, 06:59 AM
(12-02-2015 04:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  2. I would say I don't start now from the inerrant Bible or "I'm right" but "I know Jesus and He is kind and good." He states His desire is to bring many people toward sanctification and good works. Theology has to be rooted in the momentum of helping one's fellow men.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that, according to the bible, Jesus was a spiteful, racist theif. He took a colt that was not his, promising to return it but is never recorded as actually returning it (theft). Wanting fruit he discovered a fig tree that didn't have fruit out of season so he killed the tree (spite). He referred to a woman as a dog for being of the wrong nationality (racism). And these are in texts supposedly written by people who had supposedly met and liked the guy. If you're going to put a capital on 'he' and declare him 'good', I'd think we should at least avoid thieves who steal the near equivalent of a car.
22-02-2015, 10:00 AM
(16-02-2015 01:20 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Evidentialism holds that belief should rest on evidence.

Presuppositionalism holds that belief rests on presuppositions.

I'm certainly in the first and not second camp.
That sounds good, but ... what is your definition of "evidence" and what are your evidentiary standards?
22-02-2015, 10:12 AM
(22-02-2015 10:00 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 01:20 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Evidentialism holds that belief should rest on evidence.

That sounds good, but ... what is your definition of "evidence" and what are your evidentiary standards?

I have this one.

Evidence: the bible and "god did it" as well as ignore all other contrary physical evidence

Evidentiary standards: the bible and "god did it" as well as ignore all other contrary physical evidence

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
23-02-2015, 04:18 AM

So would you trust a preponderance of evidence above your faith? If faith tells you one thing and the preponderance of evidence tells you another would you accept the evidence? Would you be tempted to use your faith as a prism through which to evaluate evidence such that you reject evidence that contradicts your faith and accept evidence that supports it?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.