Short life in prime condition
Long life in continuous decline
[Show Results]

Two Life Options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Two Life Options
What's up Guys? So I'm sort of working out an idea for a dystopic science fiction story. I haven't written anything longer than a song in about 10 years, other than my posts here, lol. But I had this vague sort of idea I wanted to run by you guys.

Imagine a future world where medical technology makes one of two life outcomes possible and people get to choose one or the other. Or maybe there's some sort of lottery I don't know. Haven't figured that part out yet. Maybe it's more dramatic if people don't get to choose and are assigned somehow.

Which would you choose:

Option 1: Your body stops physically aging after about age 25, you're essentially in peak physical condition and health and get to be a young person for the rest of your life, but... you die at age 60. They execute you and it's considered an honorable sacrifice to the society.

Option 2: Your body ages and diminishes and becomes ever more decrepit naturally, you wither away like people do now, but science is able to keep you alive into what would be considered VERY advanced age nowadays - like maybe 150-180 years old.

So what would you go with - a short but very healthy, active, lusty type of life - or a prolonged existence of continuous degeneration, outliving your children and possibly grandchildren? Why did you pick the one you picked? How do you think the culture and society at large would feel about each group? How would they feel about each other?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 10:52 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Two Life Options
Older people generally report being happier far more often than people in their teens (ugh) and 20's. So I'll opt for the long life option.

http://www.ted.com/talks/laura_carstense...anguage=en

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Shit, 60's good enough for me. I would only pick the other option if the aging process was severely slowed. I wouldn't want to live in a nursing home for 100 years. Who could even afford that?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
10-08-2016, 10:45 AM
So.... What's to stop the 'Imortals' from doing a 'Logan's run' and trying to skip out after their 60 year crystals blink off?
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
10-08-2016, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 10:54 AM by Mr. Boston.)
(10-08-2016 10:45 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  So.... What's to stop the 'Imortals' from doing a 'Logan's run' and trying to skip out after their 60 year crystals blink off?

Well yeah, there's that. There needs to be tension right? Maybe there's a hit squad or a drone fleet that pursues such people. Maybe the main character is an officer in the Department of Expiration and it's his job to track down two escaped 61-year-old lovers on the run.
10-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Option 1 leaves me with less than a year...but the way this year is going, that might not be a bad choice. Sadcryface2

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-08-2016, 11:12 AM
At work.

(10-08-2016 10:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 10:45 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  So.... What's to stop the 'Imortals' from doing a 'Logan's run' and trying to skip out after their 60 year crystals blink off?

Well yeah, there's that. There needs to be tension right? Maybe there's a hit squad or a drone fleet that pursues such people. Maybe the main character is an officer in the Department of Expiration and it's his job to track down two escaped 61-year-old lovers on the run.

In which case you're revamping the whole 'Logan's run' thing.

Consider

I've some ideas but no time atm. (Checks glowing crystal) Send a PM and I'll reply when I can. Thumbsup
10-08-2016, 11:38 AM
(10-08-2016 11:12 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

(10-08-2016 10:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Well yeah, there's that. There needs to be tension right? Maybe there's a hit squad or a drone fleet that pursues such people. Maybe the main character is an officer in the Department of Expiration and it's his job to track down two escaped 61-year-old lovers on the run.

In which case you're revamping the whole 'Logan's run' thing.

Consider

I've some ideas but no time atm. (Checks glowing crystal) Send a PM and I'll reply when I can. Thumbsup

I've never seen Logan's Run, but apparently there's enough similarity here that I need to take my idea in a different direction.
10-08-2016, 03:15 PM
I would pick 60 but healthy and fit, assuming that if you aren't at your peak at 25 (maybe you have an illness etc) they are able to cure you perfectly and keep you there.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
(10-08-2016 10:19 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  What's up Guys? So I'm sort of working out an idea for a dystopic science fiction story. I haven't written anything longer than a song in about 10 years, other than my posts here, lol. But I had this vague sort of idea I wanted to run by you guys.

Imagine a future world where medical technology makes one of two life outcomes possible and people get to choose one or the other. Or maybe there's some sort of lottery I don't know. Haven't figured that part out yet. Maybe it's more dramatic if people don't get to choose and are assigned somehow.

Which would you choose:

Option 1: Your body stops physically aging after about age 25, you're essentially in peak physical condition and health and get to be a young person for the rest of your life, but... you die at age 60. They execute you and it's considered an honorable sacrifice to the society.

Option 2: Your body ages and diminishes and becomes ever more decrepit naturally, you wither away like people do now, but science is able to keep you alive into what would be considered VERY advanced age nowadays - like maybe 150-180 years old.

So what would you go with - a short but very healthy, active, lusty type of life - or a prolonged existence of continuous degeneration, outliving your children and possibly grandchildren? Why did you pick the one you picked? How do you think the culture and society at large would feel about each group? How would they feel about each other?

Or maybe how do we feel about a nutjob making up this kind of shit?