Short life in prime condition
Long life in continuous decline
[Show Results]

Two Life Options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: Two Life Options
you're missing a suicide option. I would definitely pop about 25 codeine pills.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Option 1. 60 years is long enough and good health is prefferable to decreptitude.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I would choose the first option, 60 is a good amount of time, you still get to enjoy the senior discounts on movie tickets and buffets since a lot of those are 55+, those last five years will be amazing plus you still look good and feel good.

Also with a limited amount of time life would feel more urgent, no time to procrastinate, gotta follow your dreams, gotta find that true love, gotta travel to those far off places, etc. Once it's time to go it's ok, lived it up, loved it up, laughed it up, say goodbye to good looking hubby and kids and enjoy long lasting rest.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
18-08-2016, 12:06 AM
Hi,

With option 1. I would already be dead, so it will have to be the withering.............Cool

D.
18-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Execution would imply I allowed myself to be captured. I intend to leave this world swinging a tomahawk, and probably not in a manner defined as quick and painless Tongue

'Murican Canadian
18-08-2016, 01:33 AM
(10-08-2016 10:19 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  What's up Guys? So I'm sort of working out an idea for a dystopic science fiction story. I haven't written anything longer than a song in about 10 years, other than my posts here, lol. But I had this vague sort of idea I wanted to run by you guys.

Imagine a future world where medical technology makes one of two life outcomes possible and people get to choose one or the other. Or maybe there's some sort of lottery I don't know. Haven't figured that part out yet. Maybe it's more dramatic if people don't get to choose and are assigned somehow.

Which would you choose:

Option 1: Your body stops physically aging after about age 25, you're essentially in peak physical condition and health and get to be a young person for the rest of your life, but... you die at age 60. They execute you and it's considered an honorable sacrifice to the society.

Option 2: Your body ages and diminishes and becomes ever more decrepit naturally, you wither away like people do now, but science is able to keep you alive into what would be considered VERY advanced age nowadays - like maybe 150-180 years old.

So what would you go with - a short but very healthy, active, lusty type of life - or a prolonged existence of continuous degeneration, outliving your children and possibly grandchildren? Why did you pick the one you picked? How do you think the culture and society at large would feel about each group? How would they feel about each other?

I aspired to be the Great American Novelist in my younger days, and have been published, but unfortunately my contributions to literature took the form of textbooks, in both law enforcement and aviation. Not exactly polishing the Ferrari collection I purchased with royalties, lol.

But I had a similar idea for a book, based on the Logan's Run concept, but more as you describe- young and vibrant for a relatively short time, or old as dirt and looking and feeling every moment of it. In my version- which never progressed to anything more than a few pages of rough notes- there was a definite sense of sacrifice to living long and unaltered- I can't remember exactly how I had it set up- this was nearly 30 years ago- but those who chose to undergo the treatment for the shorter, healthier life span were somehow damaging the human race or the ecosystem or something...it escapes me, but they were seen as selfish and arrogant, whereas the long lived crowd were seen to be making a great sacrifice for the benefit of the world/the race.
I imagined a great division, in every way- segregated neighborhoods and schools, financial disparity, bigotry when it came to any sort of social mingling and certainly if any romantic interests developed, which did happen, because until the age of separation (as I tentatively called it), which in your paradigm would be 25, they were indistinguishable. Only after that point did one segment visibly age while the other did not.
I think I was leery of a "Romeo and Juliet-esque" storyline, and tended to lean more towards a revolution based on some government-held secret about the short timers, that all but the upper crust was unaware of.

I don't know if that was any help at all, but good luck- happy to help if you need a proofreader, etc.
18-08-2016, 09:19 AM
As long as I can continue to use my brain, and have enough control of my body to function independently (ie: I can get up and be a productive person) then I don't care how old I look. With 150 years to work with, I could potentially make a meaningful, positive impact on humanity.
18-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Option 1.

Quality over quantity.

I'm only 22 and have experienced so much. If I could stay this age for another 40 years, that would be a life worth living.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
18-08-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm gonna have to go for door number 3 Monty.................................

i.e. -- I'm going for the Hugh Hefner option.....

That fucker's 90 years old - he sold the Playboy Mansion AND he STILL gets to live there......

So maybe at 90 you can't cut the mustard .....

But you can still lick the jar....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.