Two Years in the Land of Oz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Rainbow Two Years in the Land of Oz
I have now been an atheist for two years. It was as if the world had cracked open with a massive earthquake, and I was the only one who felt the tremors. I have never felt so alone as I did in that moment. It was terrifying.

Now it's the opposite - I have so much less fear in my life. And guilt? None of that, because if it's something I find wrong, I don't do it - as compared to feeling guilty over "thought crimes" just because I found someone other than my now ex-husband attractive. I've had some crazy adventurous shenanigans, met some awesome people, learned how to express myself again after being a doormat for so long, and discovered what really is important to me.

In this past year I have learned what it truly means to be free. Life is so beautiful. I appreciate each day so much more. I've come a long way from that broken woman sitting on the front porch with a glass of Chardonnay watching all my neighbors pass by on the way to their Sunday evening church service seeing the world in color for the first time, much like Dorothy waking to find herself in Oz. I found me and I'm a better person for it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 29 users Like Nurse's post
28-05-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Two Years in the Land of Oz
Awesome. Really glad for you, Nurse. Smile

(I did read the thread title and think, "Wait, she moved to Australia!? How did I not know that?")

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-05-2016, 08:06 PM
So happy for you. From an outside pov of someone who never believed it feels like so much freedom that I can't even imagine how much more that would seem from the pov of the previously enslaved.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
28-05-2016, 08:07 PM
(28-05-2016 07:47 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Awesome. Really glad for you, Nurse. Smile

(I did read the thread title and think, "Wait, she moved to Australia!? How did I not know that?")

Thanks! Ha, you crossed my mind earlier today. I wonder what Rocket's been up to?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
28-05-2016, 08:09 PM
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I have now been an atheist for two years. It was as if the world had cracked open with a massive earthquake, and I was the only one who felt the tremors. I have never felt so alone as I did in that moment. It was terrifying.

Now it's the opposite - I have so much less fear in my life. And guilt? None of that, because if it's something I find wrong, I don't do it - as compared to feeling guilty over "thought crimes" just because I found someone other than my now ex-husband attractive. I've had some crazy adventurous shenanigans, met some awesome people, learned how to express myself again after being a doormat for so long, and discovered what really is important to me.

In this past year I have learned what it truly means to be free. Life is so beautiful. I appreciate each day so much more. I've come a long way from that broken woman sitting on the front porch with a glass of Chardonnay watching all my neighbors pass by on the way to their Sunday evening church service seeing the world in color for the first time, much like Dorothy waking to find herself in Oz. I found me and I'm a better person for it.

Congratulations! Bolding mine. I felt pretty much the same way when I acknowledged my lack of belief to myself. That was in 2006. Some people, I'm out with. Not my wife, believe it or not. She is a true believer. I'm working on a way to approach this and get it out in the open. It might not be that bad, since we haven't been in a church except for a marryin' or buryin' in the last 13 years.

You are a beautiful person (not just physically) and deserve a decent guilt-free life. Claim it! Thumbsup
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
28-05-2016, 08:45 PM
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I have now been an atheist for two years. It was as if the world had cracked open with a massive earthquake, and I was the only one who felt the tremors. I have never felt so alone as I did in that moment. It was terrifying.

So pleased for you. You deserve to be happy.

Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
28-05-2016, 09:40 PM
And here's me already to give you an Aussie welcome LOL.

[Image: oz-fest-logo.png]

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
28-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Nurse, your post warmed the cockles of my heart. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
28-05-2016, 10:24 PM
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  And guilt? None of that, because if it's something I find wrong, I don't do it - as compared to feeling guilty over "thought crimes" just because I found someone other than my now ex-husband attractive.

You are not doing anything wrong if you see either of these two as attractive. Big Grin

[Image: chris-evans-ryan-reynolds-shirtless__oPt.jpg]

Glad you eventually realized that. Hug

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Like I always say, there's no better way to celebrate than to be serenaded by a (literally) morbidly obese Hawaiian man. Smile

Happy atheiversary!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post