Two Years in the Land of Oz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 11:09 PM
RE: Two Years in the Land of Oz
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  ...
watching all my neighbors pass by on the way to their Sunday evening church service seeing the world in color for the first time, much like Dorothy waking to find herself in Oz. I found me and I'm a better person for it.

I hate to burst your bubble but ...

Your neighbours are still worshiping the man behind the curtain. They may have heart but they lack courage and brains.

They are in Oz.

Welcome to Kansas.

Tongue

[Image: e1c9c2775c1e9be6b1080e79aead4e4b.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
28-05-2016, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 11:40 PM by Nurse.)
(28-05-2016 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  ...
watching all my neighbors pass by on the way to their Sunday evening church service seeing the world in color for the first time, much like Dorothy waking to find herself in Oz. I found me and I'm a better person for it.

I hate to burst your bubble but ...

Your neighbours are still worshiping the man behind the curtain. They may have heart but they lack courage and brains.

They are in Oz.

Welcome to Kansas.

Tongue

My metaphor meant now I live in technicolor instead of shades of grey - but you knew that. Tongue ...but those colors weren't real, just painted. Consider

I suppose you're right. There's no place like home. "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with."

And I want some ruby slippers. I decided a few weeks ago I'm going to be Dorothy for Halloween - I found my old costume from high school. Back then I couldn't find any red shoes. Now I'm determined!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
29-05-2016, 03:10 AM
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I have now been an atheist for two years. It was as if the world had cracked open with a massive earthquake, and I was the only one who felt the tremors. I have never felt so alone as I did in that moment. It was terrifying.

Now it's the opposite - I have so much less fear in my life. And guilt? None of that, because if it's something I find wrong, I don't do it - as compared to feeling guilty over "thought crimes" just because I found someone other than my now ex-husband attractive. I've had some crazy adventurous shenanigans, met some awesome people, learned how to express myself again after being a doormat for so long, and discovered what really is important to me.

In this past year I have learned what it truly means to be free. Life is so beautiful. I appreciate each day so much more. I've come a long way from that broken woman sitting on the front porch with a glass of Chardonnay watching all my neighbors pass by on the way to their Sunday evening church service seeing the world in color for the first time, much like Dorothy waking to find herself in Oz. I found me and I'm a better person for it.

Religion is poison precisely because it stamps down the individual worth of the human who buys into its precepts. Religion, all religions in my experience except perhaps Voodoo, tells the individual, "Your views don't matter, here is the received dogma."

I'm sure that my experience is incomplete and that someone somewhere has invented a religion which accepts individuality ... but I have yet to see it.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-05-2016, 06:25 AM
(28-05-2016 11:36 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I hate to burst your bubble but ...

They are in Oz.

Welcome to Kansas.

Tongue

My metaphor meant now I live in technicolor instead of shades of grey - but you knew that. Tongue ...but those colors weren't real, just painted. Consider

I suppose you're right. There's no place like home. "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with."

And I want some ruby slippers. I decided a few weeks ago I'm going to be Dorothy for Halloween - I found my old costume from high school. Back then I couldn't find any red shoes. Now I'm determined!

http://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Womens-Oz...othy+shoes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-05-2016, 11:36 AM
(28-05-2016 10:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  And guilt? None of that, because if it's something I find wrong, I don't do it - as compared to feeling guilty over "thought crimes" just because I found someone other than my now ex-husband attractive.

You are not doing anything wrong if you see either of these two as attractive. Big Grin

[Image: chris-evans-ryan-reynolds-shirtless__oPt.jpg]

Glad you eventually realized that. Hug

The one on the left...Meh. The one on the right...MEH+.

Find better ones EK. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-05-2016, 12:06 PM
(28-05-2016 07:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I have now been an atheist for two years. It was as if the world had cracked open with a massive earthquake, and I was the only one who felt the tremors. I have never felt so alone as I did in that moment. It was terrifying.

Now it's the opposite - I have so much less fear in my life. And guilt? None of that, because if it's something I find wrong, I don't do it - as compared to feeling guilty over "thought crimes" just because I found someone other than my now ex-husband attractive. I've had some crazy adventurous shenanigans, met some awesome people, learned how to express myself again after being a doormat for so long, and discovered what really is important to me.

In this past year I have learned what it truly means to be free. Life is so beautiful. I appreciate each day so much more. I've come a long way from that broken woman sitting on the front porch with a glass of Chardonnay watching all my neighbors pass by on the way to their Sunday evening church service seeing the world in color for the first time, much like Dorothy waking to find herself in Oz. I found me and I'm a better person for it.

This is beautiful, Nurse. It's been 3 years for me as of this month and you're helping to remind me of just how truly awesome it is to be free from religion. It's so easy to get hung up on life's problems sometimes, but we've managed to shed such a big one. That's incredible! Thank you for being amazing and sharing your joy here.
[+] 3 users Like debna27's post
29-05-2016, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 01:40 PM by Nurse.)
(29-05-2016 11:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 10:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You are not doing anything wrong if you see either of these two as attractive. Big Grin

[Image: chris-evans-ryan-reynolds-shirtless__oPt.jpg]

Glad you eventually realized that. Hug

The one on the left...Meh. The one on the right...MEH+.

Find better ones EK. Tongue

What?!?! Oh my god, I can't even.

I'm can't evening over this.

Chris is single (probably...at least he's not married like Ryan). Somebody hook a sister up! Laugh out load

Edit: Unless this is a taunt to get EK to post more pics. In which case, yeh, those guys are meh.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
29-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Just as long as you didn't start as the kid who thought he/she was edgy and spouted random richard dawkins quotes.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
29-05-2016, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 05:55 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Nurse, you are seriously one of the nicest folks online probably, and it's good to know that you're happy and not feeling broken any longer. (And I totally admit to also thinking you'd moved to Australia.)

(28-05-2016 08:09 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Congratulations! Bolding mine. I felt pretty much the same way when I acknowledged my lack of belief to myself. That was in 2006. Some people, I'm out with. Not my wife, believe it or not. She is a true believer. I'm working on a way to approach this and get it out in the open. It might not be that bad, since we haven't been in a church except for a marryin' or buryin' in the last 13 years.

Sorry that you can't be open with your wife about it yet. Sad Can't imagine the feeling of having to hide that from someone you share everything else with, though from what I've heard, it can be pretty common. I hope that one day, and soon, you'll figure out the approach or maybe she'll find a way to bring it up and things end positively.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post