Two good things religion gave us

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Two good things religion gave us
You know, one of the only things I am grateful for that religion has given the world is the architecture and music (and the inspiration that has given the world some awesome literature based on it).

Close to where I live and closer to where I am currently working is Durham Cathedral. It's a beautiful building, over 900 years old. York cathedral is older and bigger. The building of Newcastle Cathedral started about a decade before Durham. The cathedrals of Britain, the churches (particularly the old ones) are some of the most beautiful structures we have. The main sections are often built to enhance acoustics, the ceiling height and shape in particular. I love cathedrals and am quite awed by them (no.... the awe is not divine).

Musically, many great composers have created beautiful works based on religion. Miserere Mei, Deus is a wonderful piece. I'd listen to that over much of the crap that is churned out today!

I had the pleasure of being in Durham Cathedral whilst the choir was rehearsing a few months ago. I loved it. It was quite haunting too.

There's a lot of old architecture in Britain (and across much of Europe and Asia), a lot of it no longer whole or standing (there's an old priory in a town in Norfolk where I used to live that was 10% wall, 90% pits and foundations), that is interesting to see and to learn about.

The sad thing is, there's some individuals - usually young, ignorant and with little respect for history or its structures - who have been known to vandalise these historic places. After all, who cares? God isn't real anyway! Despite my dislike for religion itself and my disbelief in any deity, it boils my proverbial piss at what people do to the buildings (standing or no).

I hope that if in some near or distant future where religion no longer exists, people will maintain a level of respect for ancient cathedrals and churches and not destroy them in pettiness, ignorance or sheer shit-headedness.

I sometimes wonder what architecture and classical music we would have now if religion never was. That would be an interesting thing to see!

Smile

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SpaceMonkey's post
18-01-2014, 05:58 PM
RE: Two good things religion gave us
Don't forget that religion fueled scientific endeavors in Europe and the Middle East. It was only when we began to learn more and more about the universe that the concept of God began to retreat into the gaps in our knowledge. This is why God physically walked among people in scripture/oral tales from the past, and now it's all about "having faith" that he exists.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
18-01-2014, 06:02 PM
It fueled it yes Smile It also delayed it. Where might we be if religious zealots hadn't burned so many progressive, scientific minds?

I'm in a "What if" mood today, it seems. haha.

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
[+] 3 users Like SpaceMonkey's post
18-01-2014, 06:10 PM
(18-01-2014 05:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Don't forget that religion fueled scientific endeavors in Europe and the Middle East. It was only when we began to learn more and more about the universe that the concept of God began to retreat into the gaps in our knowledge. This is why God physically walked among people in scripture/oral tales from the past, and now it's all about "having faith" that he exists.

I tend to think that those who questioned religion fuelled scientific endeavours ... etc. But we do indeed have to thank religion for some of the most beautiful art and architecture in Europe.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
18-01-2014, 06:20 PM
(18-01-2014 06:02 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  It fueled it yes Smile It also delayed it. Where might we be if religious zealots hadn't burned so many progressive, scientific minds?

I'm in a "What if" mood today, it seems. haha.

It was the extremists that delayed scientific progress. For instance, Neil deGrasse Tyson has talked about the stagnation of Islamic science (start the video below around the 5 minute mark). Regarding Europe, let's not forget that the person who originally suggested the Big Bang was also a catholic priest.

18-01-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2014 06:30 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Never mind, it did include that bit I was thinking of. I removed the video I just posted here.
18-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Well by that time Ghost, you weren't allowed to burn people for proposing scientific theories Smile

Interestingly, side note here, St Bede was the first to propose the idea of a university. He is buried in Durham cathedral if I remember rightly.

18-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Good is a subjective term in relation to things such as architecture and music. I personally think there is nothing relatively good about old buildings or boring music.
18-01-2014, 06:34 PM
(18-01-2014 06:29 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  Well by that time Ghost, you weren't allowed to burn people for proposing scientific theories Smile

Interestingly, side note here, St Bede was the first to propose the idea of a university. He is buried in Durham cathedral if I remember rightly.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure Georges Lemaître wouldn't have been too popular in Galileo's day.
18-01-2014, 06:36 PM
(18-01-2014 06:29 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Good is a subjective term in relation to things such as architecture and music. I personally think there is nothing relatively good about old buildings or boring music.

Ohmy Shocking Blink

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post