Two good things religion gave us

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Two good things religion gave us
Haha certainly not Ghost!

I am with you there, Lost O.O

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SpaceMonkey's post
18-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Well, not religion as a whole, but I think one of the most valuable contributions that Christianity has given us is an excellent preservation of the Latin language.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
18-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Two good things religion gave us
I like religious art
[+] 1 user Likes hotnostril's post
19-01-2014, 03:21 AM
I suppose you could count the whole artistic package.

I love Latin.

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
19-01-2014, 03:44 AM
Through forming sects and slaughtering each other it created secularism.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
19-01-2014, 06:46 AM
(18-01-2014 05:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Don't forget that religion fueled scientific endeavors in Europe and the Middle East. It was only when we began to learn more and more about the universe that the concept of God began to retreat into the gaps in our knowledge. This is why God physically walked among people in scripture/oral tales from the past, and now it's all about "having faith" that he exists.

Science was being fuelled from the ancient Greeks - some of which were sceptics and not particularly keen on religion.

It is Christianity which put a halt to this progress when they burned and destroyed the Academies accusing the philosophers of paganism.
I wouldn't put too much credit for religion fuelling science. Newton for example was Christian but he was dabbling with many heretic ideas to the Church doctrines and who knows how many more Newton's would have been has the ancient Greek Academies continued to flourish.

Today Islam is also highly antiscientific, also promoting intelligent design & terrified that the sciences lead to heresy or making up pseudoscience "revealed" in the Quran.
Granted that the early Islamic empires in the medieval period did revive ancient Greek writings and develop the sciences - especially developments is optics, medicine, mathematics & astronomy. (Al-Gebra !)
However even in the medieval Islamic world developments were often highly controversial with philosophers & scientists being on the borderline of heresy or apostates.
Consider the raging battle between Al-Ghazali and Ibn-Rushd (Averroes)
Ibn-Rushd (Averroes) ideas were progressing towards a robust rational philosophy in contrast to literal Quranic scripture and Averroes incorporated Aristotelian ideas - developed well before the advent of Christianity and which would later be developed by Baruch Spinoza, Leibnitz and the enlightenment to follow.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
19-01-2014, 06:49 AM
(19-01-2014 03:44 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Through forming sects and slaughtering each other it created secularism.

This is also true, so religion creates secularism.
It was John Locke, Stuart Mill & Adam Smith amongst others who inspired by the religious sectarian turmoil's around them developed secular universal ideals. For there we have separation of Church and state and in France at least a complete collapse of a theistic Monarchy marginalizing religious authority.

David Hume

19-01-2014, 06:51 AM
(18-01-2014 11:32 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Well, not religion as a whole, but I think one of the most valuable contributions that Christianity has given us is an excellent preservation of the Latin language.

Perhaps Christianity was unnecessary ? What if the Greek & Roman academies were not closed down & go into disrepair or destroyed and then replaced by the Church ???

David Hume

19-01-2014, 07:04 AM
(18-01-2014 06:20 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 06:02 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  It fueled it yes Smile It also delayed it. Where might we be if religious zealots hadn't burned so many progressive, scientific minds?

I'm in a "What if" mood today, it seems. haha.

It was the extremists that delayed scientific progress. For instance, Neil deGrasse Tyson has talked about the stagnation of Islamic science (start the video below around the 5 minute mark). Regarding Europe, let's not forget that the person who originally suggested the Big Bang was also a catholic priest.

Excellent video. Shame on Al-Ghazali and revelation Theology.

David Hume

19-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Horror movies *lets face it, demon movies and the like are fun*

.....Thats about all I can come up with.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post