Two good things religion gave us

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2014, 07:53 AM
RE: Two good things religion gave us
I saw a compelling argument that religion censored art and literature during the time period. The case the guy was making was that Michelangelo was (likely*) gay, and the work he did had to be disguised in some way to keep himself out of trouble. Take a look at David: it's a statue of a Roman-looking, naked man.

Here is the post where I read that.

* I don't know the specifics. It involved love letters to men, or something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 08:08 AM
I started a thread in the movies section about religion based movies Hobbitgirl. Have a lookit!

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
19-01-2014, 08:10 AM
There was a lot of man love about then, Robby, haha. It was a very common thing in Italy and Greece and England. Wasn't even taboo at that time I don't think

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
19-01-2014, 10:48 AM
I'll give you 8. Tongue

[Image: trappist.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-01-2014, 10:49 AM
(19-01-2014 08:10 AM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  There was a lot of man love about then, Robby, haha. It was a very common thing in Italy and Greece and England. Wasn't even taboo at that time I don't think

I know there was in ancient Greece and Rome, but was there during the Renaissance?
19-01-2014, 11:08 AM
(18-01-2014 05:56 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  architecture ... ... music ... literature ... beautiful buildings.., beautiful structures

All of these things would have developed, and just as magnificently, in the absence of religion. They certainly would be different, not being base4d in religious and superstitious themes, but you can rest assured that the world would not be without beauty and magnificence without the influence of religion.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
19-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure we'd still have plenty of good architecture and music without religion. Dodgy

In fact, if every cathedral and church disappeared, and every piece of religious music were burned, we'd still have a lot. We would lose some, but not all, beautiful buildings and music. And if religion had never been, we'd still have magnificent music inspired by and paid for by something else.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2014, 02:24 PM
(19-01-2014 02:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we'd still have plenty of good architecture and music without religion. Dodgy

In fact, if every cathedral and church disappeared, and every piece of religious music were burned, we'd still have a lot. We would lose some, but not all, beautiful buildings and music. And if religion had never been, we'd still have magnificent music inspired by and paid for by something else.

Indeed. I wonder what heights the great artwork of early Europe would have reached had the artists' creativity not been hobbled by the draconian demands of the Big Brother church.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
19-01-2014, 02:39 PM
The artworks and architecture *are* undeniably stupendous though... and the music is pretty rad too. Though I can only take so much of that...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-01-2014, 02:43 PM
(19-01-2014 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  The artworks and architecture *are* undeniably stupendous though... and the music is pretty rad too. Though I can only take so much of that...

Yes, it's good stuff - but maybe we could have had better. Consider

[Image: canterbury-cathedral-nave-cc-mayuresh-flickr.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user