Two good things religion gave us

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2014, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 06:52 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Two good things religion gave us
(19-01-2014 04:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 10:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'll give you 8. Tongue

[Image: trappist.jpg]

Trappist Beer!!! Drooling

Hell ya! Just when I felt I could think of nothing....you opened my eyes!

And Trappist Bourbon Fudge. Yum.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 06:42 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-01-2014 04:55 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  Never heard that before Cheap! Haha!

Bucky, Beef Oven is cool. I wish I new more about the inspirations and links with those composers. With regards to jealousy: Humans are indeed... Human! Tongue

I enjoy how much I do learn in this forum. Even the little snippets Smile

And Mozart was hardly a "pious guy". Tongue but he wrote some amazing stuff. His audiences and employers "just happened" to be in churches sometimes.
However THE best thing he wrote, (IMNSHO) was the scene at the end of the Marriage of Figaro, when the countess forgives her husband for philandering. It's gorgeous, AND reflects the highest ideals of the Enlightenment. Religion is not mentioned. I do have this theory his music "popped out" of the "collective unconscious" .. (or I used to).. don't tell Chas I said that. Weeping You probably could make a case for Western monasticism being responsible for copying/saving books, and advancing farming practices, and Champagne.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-01-2014, 07:07 PM
1. Christmas holiday
2. Easter holiday
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Many cheeses and liqueurs. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2014, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 09:35 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(19-01-2014 07:07 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  1. Christmas holiday
2. Easter holiday

Yes, because the "crucifixion/resurrection" story has SOOOOOOOO many bunnies and baskets of eggs in it.

The BBC merely hijacked existing festivals and stuck their instrument of torture in front of the parade.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
19-01-2014, 09:34 PM
(19-01-2014 04:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 10:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'll give you 8. Tongue

[Image: trappist.jpg]

Trappist Beer!!! Drooling

Hell ya! Just when I felt I could think of nothing....you opened my eyes!

LOL, since we are indulging anyway, the original DOPPELBOCK!

[Image: Salvator.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
19-01-2014, 11:30 PM
So um......... I don't mean to be an asshole or anything...........but......

Do people really think we'd not have had architecture and music, art and such unless by religion? You guys don't think we'd not have discovered beauty and creativeness without religion?

I certainly think we would have.

BlinkBlinkBlink

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
19-01-2014, 11:37 PM
(19-01-2014 11:30 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So um......... I don't mean to be an asshole or anything...........but......

Do people really think we'd not have had architecture and music, art and such unless by religion? You guys don't think we'd not have discovered beauty and creativeness without religion?

BlinkBlinkBlink

I don't disagree, but we *did* have religion and we got some cool artistic shit along with all the crap.

Also I'm not sure that you *could* have removed religion from the human experience up until recently. It takes... widespread education and awareness for atheism to become normal. Those conditions were not met back in the day. A few decent philosophers and scientists, yeah. General population no way, and governments would have preferred it that way as a way of keeping the masses in their place, ergo... heretic burning etc.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
20-01-2014, 12:02 AM
If I could trade all copies and knowledge of Paradise Lost, Dante's Inferno, and The Satanic Verses in for an end to religious intolerance and violence, I would do so in a heartbeat.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
20-01-2014, 10:27 AM
(19-01-2014 11:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 11:30 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So um......... I don't mean to be an asshole or anything...........but......

BlinkBlinkBlink

I don't disagree, but we *did* have religion and we got some cool artistic shit along with all the crap.

Also I'm not sure that you *could* have removed religion from the human experience up until recently. It takes... widespread education and awareness for atheism to become normal. Those conditions were not met back in the day. A few decent philosophers and scientists, yeah. General population no way, and governments would have preferred it that way as a way of keeping the masses in their place, ergo... heretic burning etc.

Yes difficult to imagine a world without it.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.