Two guys walk on water!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Two guys walk on water!
Well, they run on water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XQ97XHjVw
And it is not strictly water either. It is called oobleck and is a mixture of corn starch and water. It is fascinating stuff that behaves like a non-newtonian fluid (it is not strictly a non-newtonian fluid). Mix some of this stuff up yourself (corn starch is about a $1). You have it just right when you can grab a ball of it and as long as you continuously apply pressure is acts like a solid (all of the corn starch polymers orient themselves in response to the pressure and behave as a solid). And, obviously you can punch it and it will behave like a solid but if you slowly insert your finger into it, it will feel like a liquid. Obviously you can see from the video that you can run across it but if you try to walk across it, you will sink into it.

This got me thinking, maybe Jesus ran across a pond of oobleck?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
15-11-2011, 01:42 PM
RE: Two guys walk on water!
I disagree because using logic I have to say that we're Jesus to use that shit to trick people into thinking he could walk on water then he woulda been smart enough to avoid that crucifixion thing. I'm of course being an asshole here. Smile

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
15-11-2011, 01:48 PM
(15-11-2011 01:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, they run on water.
And it is not strictly water either. It is called oobleck and is a mixture of corn starch and water. It is fascinating stuff that behaves like a non-newtonian fluid (it is not strictly a non-newtonian fluid). Mix some of this stuff up yourself (corn starch is about a $1). You have it just right when you can grab a ball of it and as long as you continuously apply pressure is acts like a solid (all of the corn starch polymers orient themselves in response to the pressure and behave as a solid). And, obviously you can punch it and it will behave like a solid but if you slowly insert your finger into it, it will feel like a liquid. Obviously you can see from the video that you can run across it but if you try to walk across it, you will sink into it.

Custard.
Dodgy You can do this with custard, too. But it is frowned upon.

Smile Here's another one... very instructional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJikar9V...re=related

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-11-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2011 01:50 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
Maybe it was an accident. Perhaps he was unaware that the corn starch was in the water? Maybe it was more like Dumb and Dumber where it was shear luck as opposed to any actual intelligence?
Thanks for the link on how to mix it, that will make it easier for those that have never used it. I often mix some up to play with as a stress relief. Kids enjoy playing with it (I am really nothing more than a large hairy kid) and it is non-toxic, assuming they don't swallow large mouthfuls of it and choke, and if so, that is natural selection baby.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
15-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Aw Lucradis, don't worry, we always assume you're being an asshole.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
15-11-2011, 01:55 PM
The tears I shed will be on your shoulders Stark. When you see in the papers that an extremely good looking guy died from dehydration due to excessive crying, know that you killed me. Smile

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Don't go down that road man! Don't you realize the trauma you cause me every time you post????

......I'm coulrophobic

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
15-11-2011, 03:13 PM
(15-11-2011 01:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, they run on water.

There was an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" a couple of years ago that featured oobleck, although they didn't call it that:

I remember "oobleck" from when I was a kid and read the Dr. Seuss book, Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Nice to find out the word has been put to good use!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
15-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I saw that being tried out and done on the show Time Warp... which i think is on the science channel as some mock mythbuthers, i don't remember
15-11-2011, 07:46 PM
That's not walking on water, that's walking on gravy.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.