Two quick questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 03:10 PM by Jokurix.)
Two quick questions
Hi! Really liking this atheist forum, I realize I'm becoming more and more involved as times goes!

I wanted to ask my fellow atheists.

1. Do you think religion is bad? Why?

2. What do you like most about atheism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jokurix's post
14-11-2016, 01:20 PM
RE: Two quick questions
(14-11-2016 01:16 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Hi! Really liking this atheist forum, I realize I'm becoming more and more involved as times goes!

2. What do you like most about atheism or its ways of thinking?

What is an "atheism/atheist way of thinking"?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
14-11-2016, 01:25 PM
(14-11-2016 01:16 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Hi! Really liking this atheist forum, I realize I'm becoming more and more involved as times goes!

I dislike anything that asks you to accept claims without evidence and to deny evidence that contradicts those claims. I object to systems that provide an absolute list of prescribed and proscribed actions and requires obedience without thought and which discourages questioning.

Quote:2. What do you like most about atheism or its ways of thinking?

Atheism doesn't have ways of thinking; atheism isn't a world-view or a practice. It is a position on a question. Atheism, for me, is the result of skepticism and critical thinking and it is just one outcome of that process. Skepticism holds that you should believe claims only so far as the evidence supports them and that prevents a great many false beliefs. It may also block a truth but only if it is a truth that can't be demonstrated which is, essentially, irrelevant anyway.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
14-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Two quick questions
1. It robs people of freedom, it is or can be anti science, also it is tool for social manipulation and tool for thugs to try to force primitive taboos onto others.

2. What is atheism way of thinking?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
14-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Religion can be bad for reasons others have stated--manipulation, violence, hatred toward anyone who is different, the use of fear/scare tactics, misogyny, anti-science, anti-free thought.

What I like most about being an atheist is the ability to think for myself and live my life on my own terms.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-11-2016, 02:22 PM
I think that religion is at best mildly benign, providing a framework for community activities. At its worst it is deadly. On average, though, I think it warps people's perceptions and prevents them from living authentic lives.

I'm emotionally neutral on atheism. It's just the way I see the universe, and liking or disliking it is unlikely to change the way I see things.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
14-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Two quick questions
1 meh, bad juju mostly.

2. It don't exist but I like the skeptical type of thinking that can lead to atheism

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Okay okay, I edited it to what do you like about atheism?

Its a broader question, feel free to answer it from any angle you like.

(Jennybee's answer for example is what I was looking for)
14-11-2016, 03:16 PM
I believe that all evil can can be logically simplified to untruth, and therefore my moral system dictates that evil = untruth. Religion is untruth, so yes it's bad. I like atheism because it is the absence of a certain untruth and its evil.
14-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Religion poisons everything it touches.
Why is that ?

It starts by lying to you, telling you fictional stories and encouraging you to accept them as real, with real consequences.
It pushes you into gullibility and away from critical thinking. It wants you blind, obedient and in fear of fictional consequences after you die.

It prods you into lying not only to yourself, but lying to others. It can lead you to committing atrocites, to harming people who are different from you, to harming children and mutilating sexual organs.

It has been the cause of many wars, tortures, drownings, burnings at the stake.

It convinces people that a fiction is real and if you don't do as we say, don't pay when we say pay, then hell awaits you, not only in the after life, but from being cast out of social circles or in some religions, killed for not believing.

Religion can also make you stupid, if you let it.

As far as atheism goes.
It frees me from conversations in my head, frees me from needless worry, offers me the freedom to be skeptical. It allows me to be me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post