Two quick questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 09:33 PM
RE: Two quick questions
(14-11-2016 09:05 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Any harshness I receive from others is my due karma, for I used to be a very bitter atheist, and I was quite rude to others for the silliest of reasons. It is not that I'm expecting people to take my word on the matter, I am just trying to help others not commit the same mistakes I made.

What rudeness have you encountered here?

What makes you think that we are rude and/or repeating your mistakes?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2016, 09:46 PM
(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:05 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Any harshness I receive from others is my due karma, for I used to be a very bitter atheist, and I was quite rude to others for the silliest of reasons. It is not that I'm expecting people to take my word on the matter, I am just trying to help others not commit the same mistakes I made.

What rudeness have you encountered here?

Choice words of vocabulary. Mainly involving the use of Bovine excrement. Both you and Leela used the word Bullshit indicating a degree of charged emotions.

[Image: Emotions.jpg]
14-11-2016, 10:03 PM
(14-11-2016 09:46 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:33 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What rudeness have you encountered here?

Choice words of vocabulary. Mainly involving the use of Bovine excrement. Both you and Leela used the word Bullshit indicating a degree of charged emotions.

Oh my sweet, innocent child. You poor, lost, little lamb.

That was not rudeness.

I used the word bullshit when you made a blatantly false comparison.

You will learn, no doubt, the true meaning of rudeness when certain other posters wake up and check the boards.

If you think the word "bullshit" was rude, then you are in for a very, very rude awakening... Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-11-2016, 10:42 PM
(14-11-2016 10:03 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:46 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Choice words of vocabulary. Mainly involving the use of Bovine excrement. Both you and Leela used the word Bullshit indicating a degree of charged emotions.

Oh my sweet, innocent child. You poor, lost, little lamb.

That was not rudeness.

I used the word bullshit when you made a blatantly false comparison.

You will learn, no doubt, the true meaning of rudeness when certain other posters wake up and check the boards.

If you think the word "bullshit" was rude, then you are in for a very, very rude awakening... Drinking Beverage

And I shall meet with them just as I have met with you.
14-11-2016, 10:57 PM
(14-11-2016 01:16 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Hi! Really liking this atheist forum, I realize I'm becoming more and more involved as times goes!

I wanted to ask my fellow atheists.

1. Do you think religion is bad? Why?

2. What do you like most about atheism?

1. No, I don't think religions are inherently bad. They are false in my opinion when it comes to their cosmology and fundamental epistemology, but that doesn't make them bad in the sense that they necessarly produce adverse effect. The wrongs religions can create other forms of ideology or philosophy can also produce. While religion isn't bad per say, it certainly isn't good either for the opposite is also true.

2. The part that includes disbelief in deities (which is pretty much atheism in a nutshell).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
14-11-2016, 11:02 PM
(14-11-2016 08:24 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  You're using derogatory terms to describe religion.

Yes, she is. And so will I. Belief without evidence is reprehensible.

Quote:Let go of that hatred, don't hate someone for their religion, because their religion doesn't define if they're a good person or not.

She never expressed hate for anyone - you have made that up. Stop it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-11-2016, 11:11 PM
(14-11-2016 08:24 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 07:57 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  No. Leela has accurately described religion.

Just because there are similarities does not invalidate her description.

Yes. You are describing government propaganda. Religion uses propaganda too.
Both religion and government are tools for social control.

Bullshit. Religion has it's own set of problems and fallacies. Religious groups and governments both have used imperialist techniques. Many forms of social control overlap and blend together.

I'd wager more that governments use religion for propaganda.

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoléon Bonaparte

(14-11-2016 07:55 PM)Leela Wrote:  No, I did not confuse religion with the government.
No, almost everything in my list cannot be attached to the government. EDIT: Even if it could be attached to the government, how is this making it invalid when I say it about religion? You did not make a point there.
No Religion is not the new scapegoat for anything. Religion is bullshit and it has always been but nowadays people will (hopefully) not be killed for speaking out (excluding muslim countries with laws based on sharia of course) so they finally speak out and they have a lot to say.

Wrong! religion is not bullshit. THIS is bullshit, or at least it is a 50-50 chance of being bullshit, maybe less, maybe 20% or 10% only need a few bulls for breeding after all. But none the less, bullshit looks like this.

[Image: cow_pie.jpg]

You're using derogatory terms to describe religion. Let go of that hatred, don't hate someone for their religion, because their religion doesn't define if they're a good person or not.

It would be tremendously invalid the points you were trying to make, if they were in fact not a product of religion but the product of a group of individuals who had less than reputable morals. Stalin murdered millions and he was an atheist in an atheist government, should I say then that all atheists are bad? Should I say that atheism causes genocide? Of course not.

You've been made to hate, and hate you do, it is tearing you apart driving a knife deeper and deeper into your heart. Let go of your bitter disposition, and enjoy a better fate, for what future can be born out of hate?

Uh....

.... wait what?

Unless I missed something, what Leela described is hatred of religion.

You have blatantly, brazenly twisted this into a hatred of individuals who subscribe to religion.

I have been through her comments in this thread three times, and she expressed nothing of the sort.

Are you capable of understanding the difference between the two? Hating the belief, versus hating the believer?
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
14-11-2016, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 11:26 PM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(14-11-2016 11:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 08:24 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  You're using derogatory terms to describe religion.

Yes, she is. And so will I. Belief without evidence is reprehensible.

But religious people do have evidence in their eyes for their god's existence. To them the entire cosmos is evidence enough for them. What do you hope to achieve by hurling insults at someone's beliefs? In slandering their beliefs you're essentially insulting them. Would you listen to someone who insulted you? Then why use such crass language?

Quote:
Quote:Let go of that hatred, don't hate someone for their religion, because their religion doesn't define if they're a good person or not.

She never expressed hate for anyone - you have made that up. Stop it.

"If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words" Goethe

Her words reflect her beliefs. What is not said outright, can be discerned with only a little effort.

(14-11-2016 11:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 08:24 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I'd wager more that governments use religion for propaganda.

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoléon Bonaparte

Wrong! religion is not bullshit. THIS is bullshit, or at least it is a 50-50 chance of being bullshit, maybe less, maybe 20% or 10% only need a few bulls for breeding after all. But none the less, bullshit looks like this.

[Image: cow_pie.jpg]

You're using derogatory terms to describe religion. Let go of that hatred, don't hate someone for their religion, because their religion doesn't define if they're a good person or not.

It would be tremendously invalid the points you were trying to make, if they were in fact not a product of religion but the product of a group of individuals who had less than reputable morals. Stalin murdered millions and he was an atheist in an atheist government, should I say then that all atheists are bad? Should I say that atheism causes genocide? Of course not.

You've been made to hate, and hate you do, it is tearing you apart driving a knife deeper and deeper into your heart. Let go of your bitter disposition, and enjoy a better fate, for what future can be born out of hate?

Uh....

.... wait what?

You have blatantly, brazenly twisted this into a hatred of individuals who subscribe to religion.

I have been through her comments in this thread three times, and she expressed nothing of the sort.

Are you capable of understanding the difference between the two? Hating the belief, versus hating the believer?

Hate is a bad in principle regardless of the object at which it is directed.

"Holding on to anger is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die" - Buddha

Whether she hates religion or the person, it is doing her equally as much harm, and harboring so much hatred for religion if she (or he) is anything like me, I would find it hard to digest that she does not think less of those who are religious.
15-11-2016, 12:22 AM
(14-11-2016 11:18 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, she is. And so will I. Belief without evidence is reprehensible.

But religious people do have evidence in their eyes for their god's existence.

It is not evidence. They do not understand the word.

Quote:To them the entire cosmos is evidence enough for them.

They do not understand what constitutes evidence. There is no evidence that the cosmos could be anything other than it is.

Quote:What do you hope to achieve by hurling insults at someone's beliefs? In slandering their beliefs you're essentially insulting them. Would you listen to someone who insulted you? Then why use such crass language?

Because belief without evidence is absurd and infantile.

Quote:
Quote:She never expressed hate for anyone - you have made that up. Stop it.

"If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words" Goethe

Her words reflect her beliefs. What is not said outright, can be discerned with only a little effort.

And you could be wrong since it is a guess. Don't do that. It won't win here.

Quote:
(14-11-2016 11:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Uh....

.... wait what?

Hate is a bad in principle regardless of the object at which it is directed.

"Holding on to anger is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die" - Buddha

Whether she hates religion or the person, it is doing her equally as much harm, and harboring so much hatred for religion if she (or he) is anything like me, I would find it hard to digest that she does not think less of those who are religious.

Did you not read what Reltzik wrote? Either that or you have a problem with reading comprehension.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Christ why must you wet blanket types invade every fucken thread? Dodgy

OP: I don't have a problem with religious people in general, but I do think that religion is bad and I loathe evangelists. I think a lot of the pastor types are in it for the money, respect and other benefits that they get. In my experience few of them are genuine, and of those none of them can posit a logical argument even for God's existence - these are allegedly God's representatives on Earth let's not forget, not some schmuck who's never studied theology. They often do have fine singing voices though, and are very good at passing the collection plate.

The best thing about atheism for me is letting go of all the guilt that the Christians (in particular, I'm sure other religions do it to, but I grew up in a Christian family) heap on you for being in the slightest bit different. In particular Big Grin I like sex!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post