Two quick questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2016 12:39 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
RE: Two quick questions
(15-11-2016 12:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:18 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  But religious people do have evidence in their eyes for their god's existence.

It is not evidence. They do not understand the word.

Quote:To them the entire cosmos is evidence enough for them.

They do not understand what constitutes evidence. There is no evidence that the cosmos could be anything other than it is.

Quote:What do you hope to achieve by hurling insults at someone's beliefs? In slandering their beliefs you're essentially insulting them. Would you listen to someone who insulted you? Then why use such crass language?

Because belief without evidence is absurd and infantile.

Quote:"If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words" Goethe

Her words reflect her beliefs. What is not said outright, can be discerned with only a little effort.

And you could be wrong since it is a guess. Don't do that. It won't win here.

Quote:Hate is a bad in principle regardless of the object at which it is directed.

"Holding on to anger is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die" - Buddha

Whether she hates religion or the person, it is doing her equally as much harm, and harboring so much hatred for religion if she (or he) is anything like me, I would find it hard to digest that she does not think less of those who are religious.

Did you not read what Reltzik wrote? Either that or you have a problem with reading comprehension.

This has devolved into a matter based on opinions, on what is and is not evidence. What you would not find suitable others might, to their fortune or misfortune. A christian is being just as rational as you are, as a muslim, or sikh, or other religions.

I read what reltzik wrote, and it doesn't matter if she hates the person or not, so long as she has hatred in her heart she is vulnerable to exploitation as would anyone else be. Its not a matter about if she actually hates the person for their religion its a matter about hatred/anger/contempt itself.

Or was there a different part that you wanted me to respond to?

(15-11-2016 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  Christ why must you wet blanket types invade every fucken thread? Dodgy

Just because something has been widely regarded as acceptable, does not mean it is right. Have you ever had a meaningful conversation with a theist? I have. I've talked to many muslims about their faith and I've learned a good deal about their religion. Lately i've been learning more about Sikhs and Hindus too. It is much easier to hate something, rather than getting to know it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2016, 12:49 AM
(15-11-2016 12:33 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  Christ why must you wet blanket types invade every fucken thread? Dodgy

Just because something has been widely regarded as acceptable, does not mean it is right. Have you ever had a meaningful conversation with a theist? I have. I've talked to many muslims about their faith and I've learned a good deal about their religion. Lately i've been learning more about Sikhs and Hindus too. It is much easier to hate something, rather than getting to know it.

Thanks for the assumption, dickhead. I've a. been a theist b. talked to plenty. All of them were much more interesting and pleasant than you, some drip who's determined by some magic divination method that I "hate something rather than get to know it".

Go fuck yourself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
15-11-2016, 12:57 AM
(15-11-2016 12:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:33 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Just because something has been widely regarded as acceptable, does not mean it is right. Have you ever had a meaningful conversation with a theist? I have. I've talked to many muslims about their faith and I've learned a good deal about their religion. Lately i've been learning more about Sikhs and Hindus too. It is much easier to hate something, rather than getting to know it.

Thanks for the assumption, dickhead. I've a. been a theist b. talked to plenty. All of them were much more interesting and pleasant than you, some drip who's determined by some magic divination method that I "hate something rather than get to know it".

Go fuck yourself.

I do not need a magical divination method. Because right now you are hating me, rather than get to know me.

Perhaps we could get to know each other? What do you believe in Morondog, if not a god, then is there something else that fills the void?
15-11-2016, 01:16 AM
(15-11-2016 12:57 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I do not need a magical divination method. Because right now you are hating me, rather than get to know me.
You poor oppressed person Rolleyes You're not worth hating. You irritate me though.

Quote:Perhaps we could get to know each other? What do you believe in Morondog, if not a god, then is there something else that fills the void?
Get to know you? Why? I know plenty of idiots. But hell, let me humour you. I believe in me, because after exhaustive efforts no sign of God nor even a useful definition of what a God is has been forthcoming. Now your turn. What God do you believe in, and why?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-11-2016, 01:28 AM
(15-11-2016 01:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:57 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I do not need a magical divination method. Because right now you are hating me, rather than get to know me.
You poor oppressed person Rolleyes You're not worth hating. You irritate me though.

Quote:Perhaps we could get to know each other? What do you believe in Morondog, if not a god, then is there something else that fills the void?
Get to know you? Why? I know plenty of idiots. But hell, let me humour you. I believe in me, because after exhaustive efforts no sign of God nor even a useful definition of what a God is has been forthcoming. Now your turn. What God do you believe in, and why?

I don't believe in any god, although at the current moment i'm struggling as to whether to consider myself a pantheist. I believe what I do because science has left me deeply unsatisfied with the why but extremely content on the how of the universe. How things happen is completely different as to 'why' things happen. Why as is, why do little tiny particles make up all of existence? Why is gravity a thing? The Greeks had a philosophy for it called the Logos, and generally this came to be my accepted belief.

Do you share any similar beliefs?
15-11-2016, 02:54 AM
(14-11-2016 03:10 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Okay okay, I edited it to what do you like about atheism?

Its a broader question, feel free to answer it from any angle you like.

(Jennybee's answer for example is what I was looking for)

I dont like or dislike atheism or being an atheist to begin with. I like to match my picture of reality with the reality as it factually exists. I think being atheist matches reality (so far, until today). I have not seen any convincing god proposition, yet.

Hence i ike atheism, because it seems to match reality, because i like to match my picture of reality with reality itself.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
15-11-2016, 03:16 AM
(14-11-2016 01:16 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  2. What do you like most about atheism?

There's nothing inherent in atheism to like or not to like. It's simply a state of mind; nothing more, nothing less. There are no degrees of liking "most" or liking "less". You're overthinking it.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-11-2016, 03:51 AM
(15-11-2016 01:28 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Do you share any similar beliefs?

No.

The question why assumes purpose, at least the way you seem to be posing it. I see no purpose.

15-11-2016, 04:52 AM
Well, he may not know which version of a god to choose, yet, but he's got the Martyr Complex down pat.

So he's off to a good start on becoming a religionist.

Sounding patiently martyred because people say mean things to you when you make insane claims is part and parcel.

I wish you the best, pard'nuh.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-11-2016, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2016 06:34 AM by Sturm.)
1/ I can't stand all religions. They are all believes inherited from parents believes for hundred of generations, originated in syncretism of
previous believes. Religions were created by :
- men trying to explain things they didn't understand (storm, tides, etc, who makes them ? no idea, must be god)
- realizing their own mortality and trying to find reassurance regarding it
Then, as each group of people believed their own religion was the true one and all the other were wrong, they decided to kill or convert those who disagreed (in short)
So religions have been and still are :
- a way of controlling people
- the cause of most of the wars and death all along history
- an obstacle for scientific progress
- a reason for people to escape reality by focusing more on their potential afterlife instead of living their current life
I don't see ANY positive in that. Oh, yes, they are supposed to teach people morale values, but I pity the man who needs a religion to have morale values.

2/ I can't answer that, it would be as answering "what do you like about breathing", it's just a natural thing, that's all.
A majority of people would be atheist if they hadn't been brainwashed from birth by their parents religion.
[+] 2 users Like Sturm's post